B10 = Best Conference in Basketball

DP5555

A month ago all we heard about was how good the B12 is. From little brother fans in state, to the talking heads on TV. Once again, which conference has the most teams left standing? The mighty B10!

The Cyclones are putting together a great run in the tournament. They beat a good team without one of their best players. I have to give them credit where credit is due. The only reason I'm saying this is because I know Cyclone fans will enter the thread and start pounding their chest.

This thread isn't about Iowa vs ISU. It's about the B10 vs the B12. While the B10 was busy beating up on each other everyone was talking about how good the B12 was. Now when the tourney arrives and teams have to play outside of their conference look what happens... The B10 proves it's worth once again. Other teams aren't used to the physicality of the B10. It gives them an advantage. Every team in the country plays teams with high scoring offenses. That will only get you so far if you can't man up and play defense. When they end up having to face the physicality of the B10 they can't match it.

I do think Florida and Louisville are two teams capable of beating the remaining B10 teams. Mainly because they have the physical presence that will be necessary. That doesn't change the fact the B10 has sent the most teams the furthest.

A month ago all we heard about was how good the B12 is. From little brother fans in state, to the talking heads on TV. Once again, which conference has the most teams left standing? The mighty B10!

The Cyclones are putting together a great run in the tournament. They beat a good team without one of their best players. I have to give them credit where credit is due. The only reason I'm saying this is because I know Cyclone fans will enter the thread and start pounding their chest.

This thread isn't about Iowa vs ISU. It's about the B10 vs the B12. While the B10 was busy beating up on each other everyone was talking about how good the B12 was. Now when the tourney arrives and teams have to play outside of their conference look what happens... The B10 proves it's worth once again. Other teams aren't used to the physicality of the B10. It gives them an advantage. Every team in the country plays teams with high scoring offenses. That will only get you so far if you can't man up and play defense. When they end up having to face the physicality of the B10 they can't match it.

I do think Florida and Louisville are two teams capable of beating the remaining B10 teams. Mainly because they have the physical presence that will be necessary. That doesn't change the fact the B10 has sent the most teams the furthest.
I think you have to give the SEC a little love. We will see after tonight, but so far, they have been pretty good.

They BIG and Big12 were 1A and 1B all year long. NCAA tourney performance is the tie breaking factor. Even if both Michigan and Mich. St. go down tonight, the BIG has still had a better tourney performance. So that said, the BIG > Big12 in the NCAA. So even when the BIG is "down", it is still the toughest conference in the country.

Top to bottom, probably B12 slightly over B1G. Top 3, B1G with a nod to SEC (based on tourney).

No way. Kansas won the Big 12 going away and lost to a weak Stanford team.

I do think ISU could have won the whole thing with Niang but not a chance without him.

Look at the Hawks, could easily still be playing right now if they'd hit just one more shot.

I think Wisky loses to Zona but very real chance to get 3 BIG teams into the Elite 8

They BIG and Big12 were 1A and 1B all year long. NCAA tourney performance is the tie breaking factor. Even if both Michigan and Mich. St. go down tonight, the BIG has still had a better tourney performance. So that said, the BIG > Big12 in the NCAA. So even when the BIG is "down", it is still the toughest conference in the country.

This is exactly how I felt. I was waiting to see how the tournament unfolded before determining the best conference. It's a difficult thing to measure when teams are playing inter-conference foes. You can't truly test it until the teams are in a tournament environment where they are playing out of conference opponents. We have that proof now. Iowa State is the only B12 team left, and I have a feeling their run is almost over. If the B10 can have 3 teams in the Elite 8 it will be a slam dunk, and I actually like the chances of that happening.

B1G>Big 12 Hands down.

Talking heads were pimping the big 12 all year, now that they are down to 1 team............crickets.

I'm going to reserve judgement...3 teams in the Sweet 16 isn't a show of dominance and if for some reason Michigan and Michigan State go down tonight and Wisconsin goes down tomorrow, I'm not sure there's much to pound our chests over.

That being said, I don't expect all 3 of those teams to get knocked off just yet and Michigan State being healthy makes them scary good. If Payne was a freshman the national guys would be singing his praises from the rafters as possibly the best player in the draft...but darn him, he's a senior so he must not be that good.

Can someone give a breakdown if remaining teams by conference? I know we have three and i think that's the most or at least tied but wouldn't mind seeing the breakdown.

Can someone give a breakdown if remaining teams by conference? I know we have three and i think that's the most or at least tied but wouldn't mind seeing the breakdown.

Not EXACTLY sure, MHA, but I think it goes something like this:

B1G: 3 -Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State
SEC: 3- Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida
American Athletic: 2- Louisville, UConn
Pac12: 1-Arizona
Big12: 1- Iowa State
Atlantic 10: 1- Dayton
ACC: 1- Virginia

The SEC is the best conference based on tournament record. I believe that is the case based on the reasoning being applied here. They have yet to lose in the tourney.

I'm going to reserve judgement...3 teams in the Sweet 16 isn't a show of dominance and if for some reason Michigan and Michigan State go down tonight and Wisconsin goes down tomorrow, I'm not sure there's much to pound our chests over.

That being said, I don't expect all 3 of those teams to get knocked off just yet and Michigan State being healthy makes them scary good. If Payne was a freshman the national guys would be singing his praises from the rafters as possibly the best player in the draft...but darn him, he's a senior so he must not be that good.

This is fair Shane. I'm certainly putting the cart before the horse a little bit, because as you said things could change rather quickly. I just dont see both Mich St and. Michigan losing tonight. I think both will win, but we'll know more at the end of the night. If the B10 can put 3 teams in the elite 8 I don't think there would be any questions about what conference is the best. I do think it's safe to say at this point that it isn't the B12 like everyone thought.

This is fair Shane. I'm certainly putting the cart before the horse a little bit, because as you said things could change rather quickly. I just dont see both Mich St and. Michigan losing tonight. I think both will win, but we'll know more at the end of the night. If the B10 can put 3 teams in the elite 8 I don't think there would be any questions about what conference is the best. I do think it's safe to say at this point that it isn't the B12 like everyone thought.

I'm on your side, DP5's...just not ready to commit just yet.

The SEC is the best conference based on tournament record. I believe that is the case based on the reasoning being applied here. They have yet to lose in the tourney.

Actually no it isn't if you read what people were saying. It is a factor. The Big12 and the BIG were 1A and 1B for toughest conferences all year, as you could make a case for both. Since the BIG >>> Big12 in the NCAA tourney, I see it as the strongest conference this year as it was the tie breaker. Just as if the Big12 would have had a better NCAA tourney than the BIG, I would have felt they were the stronger conference.

I don't put much stock in this way of thinking though. It's a fun game for the ego, but probably not very
scientific. One bad game on the wrong evening and the better team can be out. And every team seems
to have the occasional evening where they just can't seem to get turned "ON".... by this logic, if they're
out, it proves they were not very good, where in fact, it could be if the two teams met on a neutral floor
ten times, the one could actually win seven out of the ten games. But lose the wrong game on the wrong
evening and you're done.

The larger conferences can have many more teams than smaller conferences. Just on proportion they should have more teams selected and more teams actually winning and advancing.

And then, what about the 'losers' and how far down do the losers drag a conference? If you judge an entire conference on it's few shining stars, do you just dismiss the fact that it is also full of... less shining stars?

I think your overlooking Kentucky, that team is a very, very dangerous team right now and if they win tonight I see them playing for it all. They are coming together at just the right time.

Latest posts