B-10 officials: Delaney must be proud

What else were the Big Ten officials supposed to do in the Music City Bowl? If they don't call those blatant personal fouls on the last drive they get ridiculed by everyone; If they call those salutes as personal fouls than they get ridiculed by everyone. And they got the call right at the end of the game. The ball hit the ground with 1 second left, and it's not their fault there's no runoff rule for too many men on the field.

The Pinstripe Bowl call was awful, but that's more the NCAA's fault for leaving an idiotic rule up to interpretation like that. "Anything that brings attention to himself," seriously? What the hell's that supposed to mean? They shouldn't have called it, but I'm sure they wouldn't have if the rule wasn't there

I didn't watch the K State/Syracuse game so I can't comment. From what I've heard it was BS and I don't agree with calling excessive celebration to decide a game.

They got every call at the end right in the Tennessee game though.

Seriously, the headlines today are all about b-10 officials and their suckitude.

I haven't seen the K-State play but I sincerely hope you aren't talking about end of the Tennessee game. They got that RIGHT.

Actually... they missed one obvious late hit against Tennessee.

They got every call at the end right in the Tennessee game though.[/QUOTE]

Actually... they missed one obvious late hit against Tennessee.

They got every call at the end right in the Tennessee game though.
[/QUOTE]

The hit looked pretty late and vicious but when you watch the replay you see that a North Carolina player blocked him into the runner

I think the KSU salute penalty was weak, but if they called the whole game the same,then it is equal. If they call similar events different, then the refs would be wrong. If there are no similar events, then it is unfortunate. Which is okay with me, because KSU sucks.

I just don't get how these players are supposed to know what's okay and what isn't. What constitutes an infraction varies every week depending on the referees. Some weeks they can flash their gloves with the logos, some weeks they can't. Some weeks salutes are okay, other weeks they're not. I watched Tennessee hot dog it all game with no calls. Defensive players get away with all kinds of stuff (all the chest-beating after a sack, INT, big hit, etc. is WAY worse than a salute, but it almost never gets flagged). Either tell the officials that there is to be ZERO celebrating outside of chest bumps and the like with teammates, or clearly define what actions warrant penalties and let the other stuff go.

I was actually very impressed by the job the refs did in the UNC-Tennessee game. Under difficult circumstances they got the calls correct. Now I would assume the NCAA will look into imposing a 10 second run off penalty much like the NFL does on plays like the final one in regulation, but it's not in the rules now. Unfortunate for Tennessee but smart by UNC to snap the ball anyways.

The K State penalty was weak, but it's not like it was the first time a flag has been thrown for a guy saluting the crowd. I would like to see the rules be a little more specific as to what is and what isn't allowed for celebrations though.

I was actually very impressed by the job the refs did in the UNC-Tennessee game. Under difficult circumstances they got the calls correct. Now I would assume the NCAA will look into imposing a 10 second run off penalty much like the NFL does on plays like the final one in regulation, but it's not in the rules now. Unfortunate for Tennessee but smart by UNC to snap the ball anyways.

The K State penalty was weak, but it's not like it was the first time a flag has been thrown for a guy saluting the crowd. I would like to see the rules be a little more specific as to what is and what isn't allowed for celebrations though.

The calls regarding the snap/too many men on the field and such were correct. But there were multiple celebration penalties that should have been called (if the K-State salute is excessive, anyway). That's the problem, there's no consistency.

Um the big ten officials look clueless and stupid yesterday. Seriously you call that weak **** at the end of that KSU game up let them get away with worse in the NC/Tenn game...good god officials get a clue already.

I agree with everything in this post. The only call that could have changed at the end of the UNC/Tennessee game was a 15 yard penalty for illegal participation, but with safety concerns you don't let that go obviously and it became a 5 yard penalty. Its not the officials fault there isn't a runoff rule. There probably will be now.

Horrible salute call though. I would maybe agree if they were playing Army and he was saluting soliders who were in the crowd (I could have swore I saw the SMU QB do that by the way), but it was Syracuse. Horrible.

Here's a thought....call a penalty everytime one of these kids does this crap. I am so sick of seeing the "look at me" gestures after every play it is pathetic.

I watched a replay of the 1971 or 72 OU/Neb game awhile back. There was none of this self adulation crap. After the whistle blew the players got up, the ball got handed to the ref and everybody went back to their huddle.

Call me old fashion, well yes I am, but it is a team sport and the other 10 people on the team contributed to the *** milking the crowd after a play.

Here's a thought....call a penalty everytime one of these kids does this crap. I am so sick of seeing the "look at me" gestures after every play it is pathetic.

I watched a replay of the 1971 or 72 OU/Neb game awhile back. There was none of this self adulation crap. After the whistle blew the players got up, the ball got handed to the ref and everybody went back to their huddle.

Call me old fashion, well yes I am, but it is a team sport and the other 10 people on the team contributed to the *** milking the crowd after a play.

AGREE 100%.

I totally agree, if it's consistent and all involved know what is and what is not a penalty.

The hit looked pretty late and vicious but when you watch the replay you see that a North Carolina player blocked him into the runner[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I sure thought it was a late call - but replays clearly show he was blocked into him.

I think they made every call right at the end.

Um the big ten officials look clueless and stupid yesterday. Seriously you call that weak **** at the end of that KSU game up let them get away with worse in the NC/Tenn game...good god officials get a clue already.

You do realize that those are two different officiating crews, right? The crew from the game in New York didn't hop in a LearJet and fly down to Nashville.

Yes. Excitement, passion, and emotion have no place in the game of football, especially not in a bowl game, and especially not when you cut the lead to two point with less than 90 seconds to play.

Latest posts