Austin Ash

I don’t know, man. Get to practice and occasionally play with guys of Garza/Weiskamp/Cook/Murray’s level, travel in about as much style as you can in B1G basketball, and be a scholly basketball player on Iowa’s campus with all of the connections that go with it after graduation—or go play somewhere in BFE for a coach who’s probably some washed up NAIA flunky on a team that doesn’t get radio coverage, let alone tv?

Gimme that Iowa jersey and a lifetime of cool stories any frickin day, amigo.
You mentioned on a football forum that playing time trumps all well now your saying the exact opposite. Now figure it out. haha

I can buy this take as well.

I think the biggest blunder here is Fran's recruiting judgement on this one. Then again, who knows, maybe Ash will surprise us.....probably not, but what the heck huh.
This isn't about the potential of Ash surprising us. There's almost no chance at all of that happening. It's not like he went into the transfer portal, then shortly after he improved so much Fran had to offer. This is a simple case of a coach having an extra scholarship and rewarding a walk on.

You mentioned on a football forum that playing time trumps all well now your saying the exact opposite. Now figure it out. haha
Playing time at a podunk school <> playing time at a P6 school, Skeezix.

Talking about playing time in the context of NIL (which is what you’re referring to in my earlier post) implies you’re talking about an elite or semi-elite recruit who has a choice of many P6 schools. Apples/oranges.

Now figure it out. haha

Maybe Fran is thinking that with all the lack of experience in the post this upcoming season that this season is going to be more of a prep for the following season so “what the hell give the kid a scholly.”
Maybe. Still blows my mind with all the kids in the transfer portal and he brings back Downtown DJ Qualls.

This isn't about the potential of Ash surprising us. There's almost no chance at all of that happening. It's not like he went into the transfer portal, then shortly after he improved so much Fran had to offer. This is a simple case of a coach having an extra scholarship and rewarding a walk on.
That is where I have the issue. If you are trying to put together your best team possible, this was not a winning move (most likely). It was a charity move.....but....then again.....Rudy worked his ass off for Irish and pumped up his team....even made a movie about him. Maybe that is what Fran is working this angle for....rewarding hard work and love for being a Hawkeye.

That is where I have the issue. If you are trying to put together your best team possible, this was not a winning move (most likely). It was a charity move.....but....then again.....Rudy worked his ass off for Irish and pumped up his team....even made a movie about him. Maybe that is what Fran is working this angle for....rewarding hard work and love for being a Hawkeye.
I'm curious to know the percentages of how often teams go into a season with 13 scholarship players. I assume it's either a lot more often than you think or a lot less often than I think because I don't think this is a big deal or uncommon at all.

Playing time at a podunk school <> playing time at a P6 school, Skeezix.

Talking about playing time in the context of NIL (which is what you’re referring to in my earlier post) implies you’re talking about an elite or semi-elite recruit who has a choice of many P6 schools. Apples/oranges.

Now figure it out. haha
so it doesnt trump all got it.

JoBo's NIL agent.

I dunno. As awkward a shot as it looks, the guy can really shoot the 3. Is he that much more worse on defense than ..........say...............JoBo. Just sayin'. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Ash get some minutes a game, unless, Fran finds this dynamite rotation with the new guys.

JoBo's NIL agent.

I dunno. As awkward a shot as it looks, the guy can really shoot the 3. Is he that much more worse on defense than ..........say...............JoBo. Just sayin'. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Ash get some minutes a game, unless, Fran finds this dynamite rotation with the new guys.

He isn't Jbo. At best he is Olgesby and there is a good chance he is not even that. If you can get 3 or 4 clutch buckets out of him this season....then it is a win.

He isn't Jbo. At best he is Olgesby and there is a good chance he is not even that. If you can get 3 or 4 clutch buckets out of him this season....then it is a win.

Nooooooooo........Ash actually makes 3's in games and not just practice. All we heard about Olgesby was how well he shot in practice.

Sort of li
Ben Carr has been a full member of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones since 1983 and doesn't sing, play an instrument, or contribute to writing or producing songs. He's strictly a hype man who gets up on stage during live shows, jumps to the beat and flails his arms (calls it dancing), and gets the crowd fired up. He was just a friend of the band and started his hype man spiel back when he was underage and had to either be 21 or a member of the band to get in the clubs they played.

Their fans LOVE him and his only role is to get the crowd fired up and set the tone for the band from the "sidelines." He's considered by the band and fans to be a full and equal band member, but none of the music they put out has any input from him at all.

Ben Carr and Austin Ash are both the hype men of their respective teams and everyone's ok with it.
Sort of like Bob Nastanovich from the (great) American Indie rock band Pavement. Except that Bob did play some keyboards and percussion on stage. Mostly however, he danced and shook his booty and contributed "vocals" that ranged humorous phrases to animal imitations.

Post Pavement, Nastanovich has numerous Iowa connections. He once owned horses and wrote charts for Prairie Meadows and still lives, as far as I know, in the Des Moines area.

Sorry Ash. You do not deserve a scholarship at a power institution. And to look at it like it is only for the 13th spot on the roster is wrong. Maybe, just maybe there is a legitimate player, who could make a real difference for the Hawks, out there that is considering Iowa but is slow to pull the trigger and now, there isn't a scholarship available. Each scholarship is of equal worth. It's just what the player does with it. We know what Ash is going to do with it and that's cheer the others from the bench.

If I were Fran I'd want one open available scholly in my pocket almost all the time. With the transfer portal being the wild wild west now you just never know when one may become available that could help you. I'd want to be able to bring them in right away without having to worry about if you can put em on scholly right away or not. Granted with the NIL being what it is maybe that won't be as big of a deal either I dunno. But regardless I wouldn't want a end of the bench garbage time player like Ash being the reason you couldn't add a good player at any time for any reason .

Could it be even remotely possible that Fran gave AA the schollie to avoid creating animosity over playing time this year? On this team everyone is expecting to play lots this year.

Could it be even remotely possible that Fran gave AA the schollie to avoid creating animosity over playing time this year? On this team everyone is expecting to play lots this year.
I don't no. I just don't think that'd be is mindset towards things. PT is earned and prioritized by how well guys play within their roles. Fran isn't afraid to experiment with mins but he's also not afraid to bench someone that's not playing well either. He's not a guy that would promise anyone anything in regards to that.

There's some sorting out to do with how mins amongst alot of guys that haven't played big mins before will go. But it will. I suspect the starters will be these guys. I could see CM maybe not starting this year because his role has always been more valuable when playing with Garza and helping feed him. Without him I'm not as sure PM wouldn't be more valuable. So we'll see.

JT
JBo
CM/PM ?
KM
Rebracca