Austin Ash

Who knows maybe he has improved his game and can give minutes to help out the Hawks. I will wait and see if that's the case. If he hasn't improved much from the last time I saw him on the court then he's likely not going to be much of an impact.

The less-cultured of you aren't going to get the reference here, but this is the best way to describe Austin Ash's role....

Austin Ash is to the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team as Ben Carr is to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

The less-cultured of you aren't going to get the reference here, but this is the best way to describe Austin Ash's role....

Austin Ash is to the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team as Ben Carr is to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
Today I learned I'm less-cultured...I have no idea what that reference means.

Today I learned I'm less-cultured...I have no idea what that reference means.
Ben Carr has been a full member of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones since 1983 and doesn't sing, play an instrument, or contribute to writing or producing songs. He's strictly a hype man who gets up on stage during live shows, jumps to the beat and flails his arms (calls it dancing), and gets the crowd fired up. He was just a friend of the band and started his hype man spiel back when he was underage and had to either be 21 or a member of the band to get in the clubs they played.

Their fans LOVE him and his only role is to get the crowd fired up and set the tone for the band from the "sidelines." He's considered by the band and fans to be a full and equal band member, but none of the music they put out has any input from him at all.

Ben Carr and Austin Ash are both the hype men of their respective teams and everyone's ok with it.

I feel badly for Austin. I think he made a mistake and is going to be disappointed in the amount of playing time he gets and the minimal impact he is going to have on the team. He should have taken a shot at a lower level team and actually get meaningful minutes playing against comparable opposition. As it is, I think he will regain his position as head cheerleader on the bench.

Ben Carr has been a full member of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones since 1983 and doesn't sing, play an instrument, or contribute to writing or producing songs. He's strictly a hype man who gets up on stage during live shows, jumps to the beat and flails his arms (calls it dancing), and gets the crowd fired up. He was just a friend of the band and started his hype man spiel back when he was underage and had to either be 21 or a member of the band to get in the clubs they played.

Their fans LOVE him and his only role is to get the crowd fired up and set the tone for the band from the "sidelines." He's considered by the band and fans to be a full and equal band member, but none of the music they put out has any input from him at all.

Ben Carr and Austin Ash are both the hype men of their respective teams and everyone's ok with it.
Seems like the perfect analogy.

I feel badly for Austin. I think he made a mistake and is going to be disappointed in the amount of playing time he gets and the minimal impact he is going to have on the team. He should have taken a shot at a lower level team and actually get meaningful minutes playing against comparable opposition. As it is, I think he will regain his position as head cheerleader on the bench.
I don’t know, man. Get to practice and occasionally play with guys of Garza/Weiskamp/Cook/Murray’s level, travel in about as much style as you can in B1G basketball, and be a scholly basketball player on Iowa’s campus with all of the connections that go with it after graduation—or go play somewhere in BFE for a coach who’s probably some washed up NAIA flunky on a team that doesn’t get radio coverage, let alone tv?

Gimme that Iowa jersey and a lifetime of cool stories any frickin day, amigo.

I don’t know, man. Get to practice and occasionally play with guys of Garza/Weiskamp/Cook/Murray’s level, travel in about as much style as you can in B1G basketball, and be a scholly basketball player on Iowa’s campus with all of the connections that go with it after graduation—or go play somewhere in BFE for a coach who’s probably some washed up NAIA flunky on a team that doesn’t get radio coverage, let alone tv?

Gimme that Iowa Jersey and a lifetime of cool stories any frickin day, amigo.
I can buy this take as well.

I think the biggest blunder here is Fran's recruiting judgement on this one. Then again, who knows, maybe Ash will surprise us.....probably not, but what the heck huh.

Gimme that Iowa jersey and a lifetime of cool stories any frickin day, amigo.
Not to mention a college degree from a reputable college..

I can buy this take as well.

I think the biggest blunder here is Fran's recruiting judgement on this one. Then again, who knows, maybe Ash will surprise us.....probably not, but what the heck huh.
Maybe Fran is thinking that with all the lack of experience in the post this upcoming season that this season is going to be more of a prep for the following season so “what the hell give the kid a scholly.”