Austin Ash

You need more than one decent year to start building up interest in a program. Especially when most of the core of that team has left or will be leaving.

And a 2 seed doesn't mean much when you get embarrassed in the second round and fizzle out of your conference tourney. Ask any former or recent Duke, UNC, Michigan, Kentucky, Villanova, etc recruit if they know what seed any of those teams were when they made the FF or title games. I guarantee you a deep tourney run by a 7 or 8 seed is way better for recruiting than a high seed followed by a nationally televised beat down.

If the Hawks can get a 2 seed three or four times in a decade you have something, but good luck with that. At that point we're back to the same circular argument.
Yes a blue chipper sure. Fran has swung and struck out there, time and time again. Get that one.

We are talking about a 5 or 6 out of 10 coming here based off of where Iowa is as a program. Instead, we just offered a scholarship to a 3 out of 10 player.

But, maybe Fry is right and this is the best we can get. Then I really do think a 2nd round is the ceiling.

We can't go on long runs if we don't have competent guard play. Unless we are extremely lucky....and I do mean extreme.
I hate to break it to you guys, but we lost the unanimous POY with over 20 points a game and a double double every night, his backup center who was also really good, a really good (if inconsistent) shooting guard to transfer, and we’re likely now to lose a combo 3/4 to the NBA draft.

In case you all forgot, that team got themselves a 0-1 appearance in the B1G tourney, and a 40 minute dismantling in the 2nd round.

If you think losing all that and picking up a MAC grad transfer and Austin Ash is gonna equal the ceiling of last year’s team I have a garbage bag full of air I’d like to sell you for $1,000. You guys better start with above .500 first, or you’re gonna have some serious disappointment issues come next March.

Yes a blue chipper sure. Fran has swung and struck out there, time and time again. Get that one.

We are talking about a 5 or 6 out of 10 coming here based off of where Iowa is as a program. Instead, we just offered a scholarship to a 3 out of 10 player.
Ok, we’ll play that game then. Go look at the portal listing on 24/7 and find some names.

I hate to break it to you guys, but we lost the unanimous POY with over 20 points a game and a double double every night, his backup center who was also really good, a really good (if inconsistent) shooting guard to transfer, and we’re likely now to lose a combo 3/4 to the NBA draft.

In case you all forgot, that team got themselves a 0-1 appearance in the B1G tourney, and a 40 minute dismantling in the 2nd round.

If you think losing all that and picking up a MAC grad transfer and Austin Ash is gonna equal the ceiling of last year’s team I have a garbage bag full of air I’d like to sell you for $1,000. You guys better start with above .500 first, or you’re gonna have some serious disappointment issues come next March.

Next couple years may be rebuilding

I can buy this take....and it still think it is problematic in the macro. Iowa really needed to use the portal to upgrade the talent level. That is not happening relative to our main competition in conference. I would be willing to role the dice and take my chances losing one of those guys if it meant our guard play is better off. Bottom line, you want the best out on the floor you can get.

But, maybe Fry is right and this is the best we can get. Then I really do think a 2nd round is the ceiling.

We can't go on long runs if we don't have competent guard play. Unless we are extremely lucky....and I do mean extreme.
This assumes that there was a homerun guard out there that Fran could tell was appreciably better than what he has. Fran sees these kids everyday in practice. I think he believes he has some really good young guards. I have no problem with him trusting his eyes and his instincts on who he has recruited and developed for the last couple years. Not everyone can and should build through the portal. Hasn't worked for Iowa State of late. Hasn't worked for Nebraska yet. We don't bag on KF for not hitting the portal regularly.

Fran develops talent and team chemistry. I am fine with not taking a flyer on a portal guy.

With Gramps coming back to play SG, did the team really need another guard?

If people are going to say the staff swung and missed, I would say it was trying to bring in another 5.

Mulvany(sp) coming in early probably made the staff juggle the scholly plans a bit - even if he was taking Jack's. The Serbian Sensation also caused another reshuffling of the scholly plans.
The staff might not have wanted to give out a multi year ride to anyone left in the portal - to Fry's point - that would come to Iowa. So then they look at if there are any one and done guys that would be a big enough upgrade to rock the boat and bring in - that would want to come to Iowa. Mayne after all that the staff decided it was worth it. So they see Austin had not gotten picked up yet. Why not. A scholly is cheap.

With Gramps coming back to play SG, did the team really need another guard?

If people are going to say the staff swung and missed, I would say it was trying to bring in another 5.

Mulvany(sp) coming in early probably made the staff juggle the scholly plans a bit - even if he was taking Jack's. The Serbian Sensation also caused another reshuffling of the scholly plans.
The staff might not have wanted to give out a multi year ride to anyone left in the portal - to Fry's point - that would come to Iowa. So then they look at if there are any one and done guys that would be a big enough upgrade to rock the boat and bring in - that would want to come to Iowa. Mayne after all that the staff decided it was worth it. So they see Austin had not gotten picked up yet. Why not. A scholly is cheap.
And the kid put in the sweat equity to deserve a free year if there was no better use for it.

I read through the entire thread. Carefully. I still cannot figure out why I should give a damn one way or the other about a scholarship for Austin. It seems to me that it was a nice, harmless way to do something for the kid. We already know we are set in concrete with the roster anyway. Whether or not JW goes pro, we know where we will be.

I wasn't expecting Iowa to pull in a high level transfer but surely they could have found someone better than a walk-on. There are hundreds upon hundreds of players in the portal and while Iowa may not be an overly attractive destination compared to other P5 schools they should sure as hell be more attractive than a mid major.

Iowa still has another spot, Jordan doesn't count cause he's a super senior. Also, Fran is willing to pay his kids way and has never shied away from that. Do I think he's bringing in anyone else? No, I don't, but if a really good player wants to come to Iowa, Fran will make room for them.

I'm in the minority but I think Iowa is going to be decent next year. Not a 2 seed, but bubble and possibly on the right side of it.

There's something I really am intrigued by and that's Joe T, Patrick, Keegan, Rebraca with Jbo and Perkins? I don't hate that. I kind of like it. I think it will be a much better defensive unit and IMO, Fran's team's are gonna score. I like how this roster is shaping up. I realize I am in the minority. I don't hate it.

In case you all forgot, that team got themselves a 1-1 appearance in the B1G tourney, and a 40 minute dismantling in the 2nd round.

I agree, Iowa would be incredibly lucky to make the field...at this point. Still ultimately waiting to see if Joe W is gone or not.

A couple things. We went 1-1 in the Big 10 tournament. And why do you think last year's team hit their ceiling?

This assumes that there was a homerun guard out there that Fran could tell was appreciably better than what he has. Fran sees these kids everyday in practice. I think he believes he has some really good young guards. I have no problem with him trusting his eyes and his instincts on who he has recruited and developed for the last couple years. Not everyone can and should build through the portal. Hasn't worked for Iowa State of late. Hasn't worked for Nebraska yet. We don't bag on KF for not hitting the portal regularly.

Fran develops talent and team chemistry. I am fine with not taking a flyer on a portal guy.
To each his own I guess. I mean, there are pros and cons both ways. It would be wonderful if Fran could get a top flight guy at guard, but he hasn't been able to do it.

But, I do have to think we could do better than Ash with that scholly. But, that is what Fran gets paid the big buck for and is his job to figure out. And, he is rolling with Ash.

As this point, I hope for the best and expect the worse with it.