Attn: Mike Gesell

sportstalent

Please stop blindly driving deep into the lane and continue to get blocked. Please stop taking shots at the end of the half that you can't make.

Now, let me say this before I am accused as ripping on a player.

This is the first time in a long time that there is no player on the roster I do not like. I think this team has a chance to be a lot better than the experts think.

This was a pet peeve of mine last season and I hope he can correct it.

I have no idea what happened to him. As soon as the ball leaves his hand you can tell it's not going in. I really hope he turns it around soon.

It was a tough game for all of the guards. They had a combined 5-29 shooting night, a dreadful 17.24% from the floor. I was hoping to see more post feeding to Woody in the 2nd half but Fran was contempt at running his motion game from the perimeter. Post feeding has been an issue in Fran's whole tenure here, hopefully improves as the season goes on. Using the post game can really help with scoring droughts and allow things to open up on the perimeter.

Mike Gesell will bounce back. And I'm going to remind posters on HN about that.

Can't wait...:(

This has been a career thing, not just a tonight thing...I have been consistent with this criticism of Mike.

He needs to give the ball up sooner, pull up for a jumper, or go to the hoop strong and not try a shot he will not make or not put himself in a position to go to the free throw line.

I like the way Gesell plays, outside of this questionable behavior...it just makes no sense to continue to not do something different.

Can't wait...:(

This has been a career thing, not just a tonight thing...I have been consistent with this criticism of Mike.

He needs to give the ball up sooner, pull up for a jumper, or go to the hoop strong and not try a shot he will not make or not put himself in a position to go to the free throw line.

I like the way Gesell plays, outside of this questionable behavior...it just makes no sense to continue to not do something different.

I don't think he has any confidence in his jumper anymore.

He probably was a bit overrated coming out of high school. So expectations were inflated.

The guy is a mid major player always was.

The guards were outmatched tonight...all of them did similar things...the biggest challenge this team had going into the season was on display tonight...guard play. The good news is that was a team that will probably gel into one that will be an Elite 8 contender before all is said and done, and there may just be one of those in the Big Ten...and none with an interior that can collapse and alter shots like Texas.

It really was about the guard play tonight. Somebody has to step up and be that go to guy at guard. I'm not sure he's on the roster yet.

Sure lets rip a guy who had more than 550 points, more than 200 assists, more than 150 rebounds, and more than 75 steals all after his sophomore season. Only 2 other Hawkeyes have comparable numbers after their first 2 seasons...Oliver and Horner are the two...pretty good company. All the guards had bad games. Don't select the guy who has actually been the best guard of them that are left over the last 2 years.

3 players on the team made more than 1 fg on the day...Woody, Uthoff, and white. Uthoff made zero in the second half...so by my count out of 10 players that played for iowa you can count only 3 as having possibly good games. I am ok with saying it was only 2 because Uthoff struggled in the second half. White and Woody seemed to elevate their games. The rest wilted under the pressure. It is early and Texas is good. They will get better and I am not throwing 7 or 8 or any of them under the bus. The problem is 7 players all played poorly on the same day. The eighth struggled in the second half. It is hard for 1 or 2 players to carry the rest of the team when they are as epically bad as they were. My hope is a rebound game in the next round. It is a long season.

It really was about the guard play tonight. Somebody has to step up and be that go to guy at guard. I'm not sure he's on the roster yet.

He's on the roster; his name is Peter Jok. Coach 'Caff has a delicate decision to make. I think he needs to bench MG in favor of Jok. Sapp showed tonight that he's an okay scorer from the point, but not a legit 2 guard. MG is inconsistent at both 1 & 2. Eventually, the starting guards need to be Trey and Jok. Sapp and MG play back up to both. Sapp still deserves to be the starter, but he needs to be a better scorer sooner, rather than later. MG needs to work his way back in.

Latest posts