Attn: Mike Gesell

After reading this thread can someone check and see if CHA was not burnt to the ground overnight?

Yes it was a disappointing loss where they gave up the lead. The bench did not produce at all. When Josh comes of the bench I get worried. I am still waiting to see this amazing shooter and unless he’s wide open to take the shot it’s not there. I can’t pin this loss on one person though it was a whole team loss look at the box score.

You can’t coach in game shooting, but you can pin some of the loss on Fran not getting more out of his talent. It doesn’t seem like he is getting great development out of the talent he has. Gesell is not better then when he started.

Even with this loss I am not throwing out the baby herk with the bathwater. I will wait until at least after Christmas.

I think Gesell is better than a mid-major player, he defends pretty well, doesn't usually turn it over much and can get by B10 players. If he was surround with guys who could score or was in a backup role he would be just fine. Unfortunately, you expect a top 100 recruit to be able to be one of the guys who can carry a team, and right now that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I thought MG had a solid freshman year and that he would improve his outside shooting as time went on. That hasn't happened, he shot 31% from 3 as a freshman and 31% last year. His shot isn't looking any better this year. Combine that with his poor free throw shooting and lack of ability to finish at the rim and he's just not looking like a guy who can be more than a 4th or 5th option at the B10 level. The fact that people thought Marble was holding him back though is laughable.

I agree here. But to try and take a positive from this. He was obviously attracting the attention of the Texas big men-- they were sending Mike's shot into the bleachers each time. Mike needs to drive the basket with a purpose- and that purpose ain't to put up a shot. He needs to draw defense and dish- something a good point guard should be a master of. Personally, even last year, I like watching Mike attack the basket, its better than watching everyone else just stand around like they have a habit of doing (at least when Marble was still on the roster). I just wish someone would remind him that he is just barely 6 feet tall.

Gesell, unfortunately, is our most reliable ball-handler. He has to play, because he is one of the guys on the team that handle intense on-ball pressure. Clemmons isn't great with the ball. Dickerson is out of control so far and hasn't show the ability to finish either.

We haven't recruited backcourt shot creators. It's as simple as that. High-end collegiate guards look like the guys Texas had. Powerful, explosive 6' ft 2 combo guards that can explode to the basket and finish at the rim. Refs also give those kind of players way more foul call when there is contact. The weaker you look when initiating contact on a drive, the less likely you get that call.

Mike is simply not tall, fast, agile and athletic enough to drive the lane for layups. His play is to drive and kick out, to bounce pass to his buddy Adam or to someone else or to develop a quick pull up shot from 8 to 10 feet away.

Not sure Jok has proven he's ready to get the keys to the car at point.

Agreed. Gesell is simply to small to drive into the paint for layups.. Not a knock on him, it's just what it is. IMO his game needs to be drive and dish, or taking perimeter jumpers. He just can't drive in among the trees and expect to not have his shot swatted.

Agreed. Gesell is simply to small to drive into the paint for layups.. Not a knock on him, it's just what it is. IMO his game needs to be drive and dish, or taking perimeter jumpers. He just can't drive in among the trees and expect to not have his shot swatted.

This isn't true. He's got great hops, just not without some momentum. Have you seen him dunk off of two legs? I have. He can get up well for his size. His problem is that he doesn't gather and make a strong pop at the rim, he leaves his feet too early and jumps out not up. He was also getting blocked by guys athletic 6'9".

Someone has convinced him he can take it to the hole all the time...that's not his game. penetrate and dish is his game...with the occasional finish. He needs to play smart when he's penetrating. His defense was pretty good last night, but he needs to play smarter with the ball and do what his team needs him to do, penetrate and get the ball to the shooters.

This isn't true. He's got great hops, just not without some momentum. Have you seen him dunk off of two legs? I have. He can get up well for his size. His problem is that he doesn't gather and make a strong pop at the rim, he leaves his feet too early and jumps out not up. He was also getting blocked by guys athletic 6'9".

Someone has convinced him he can take it to the hole all the time...that's not his game. penetrate and dish is his game...with the occasional finish. He needs to play smart when he's penetrating. His defense was pretty good last night, but he needs to play smarter with the ball and do what his team needs him to do, penetrate and get the ball to the shooters.

Maybe he needs to work on a new layup technique.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11912072

I wish I could remember the guys name on here I had a back and forth with about MG... He was trying to say he's more athletic then Marble.... And needless to say MG showed again how unathletic basketball wise he is. He can not create his own shot. He is who he is at this point. I don't care if he can dunk with two hands with nobody guarding him. I care about what he can do in games. And he can't drive by guys and create a good shot for himself. Not to mention he can't hardly make them when he gets a good look. Texas guards were just toying with them in the 2nd half... Was tough to watch.

I wish I could remember the guys name on here I had a back and forth with about MG... He was trying to say he's more athletic then Marble.... And needless to say MG showed again how unathletic basketball wise he is. He can not create his own shot. He is who he is at this point. I don't care if he can dunk with two hands with nobody guarding him. I care about what he can do in games. And he can't drive by guys and create a good shot for himself. Not to mention he can't hardly make them when he gets a good look. Texas guards were just toying with them in the 2nd half... Was tough to watch.

Probably Foval, he's the same guy who went on and on about how MG had ice in his veins last year. He's been saying that Gesell is much better than Marble for a long time now.

After reading this thread can someone check and see if CHA was not burnt to the ground overnight?

Yes it was a disappointing loss where they gave up the lead. The bench did not produce at all. When Josh comes of the bench I get worried. I am still waiting to see this amazing shooter and unless he’s wide open to take the shot it’s not there. I can’t pin this loss on one person though it was a whole team loss look at the box score.

You can’t coach in game shooting, but you can pin some of the loss on Fran not getting more out of his talent. It doesn’t seem like he is getting great development out of the talent he has. Gesell is not better then when he started.

Even with this loss I am not throwing out the baby herk with the bathwater. I will wait until at least after Christmas.

I can not disagree more with this statement. Does Iowa really have talented guys? I think the problem is that a lot of these guys weren't highly recruited, and the ones who were, are not very athletic. The only player in Iowa's system who has not progressed is Gesell and maybe Oglesby. Look at how Fran developed under recruited guys like Marble, White, Olaseni. I would even throw Woody in that category because he has made huge strides since his freshman year. The difference yesterday was that Iowa was not athletic enough to hang on either ends of the court. The poor guard play is because they either aren't athletic or aren't very good. The 2015 class will help from an athlete standpoint, that's why Fran recruited them.

I played highschool ball with a guy who is 5'9" and whiter than white. He could drive into guys almost a foot taller than him and get shots to go in all the time over them. Gesell gets blocked a lot but even the ones he gets up to the rim don't go in. Short guys can drive the lane if they have a knack for shooting awkward shots with accuracy. Gesell obviously does not have that knack.

I played highschool ball with a guy who is 5'9" and whiter than white. He could drive into guys almost a foot taller than him and get shots to go in all the time over them. Gesell gets blocked a lot but even the ones he gets up to the rim don't go in. Short guys can drive the lane if they have a knack for shooting awkward shots with accuracy. Gesell obviously does not have that knack.

Gesell has been getting his layups blocked since he has been at Iowa. All three of the Iowa little guards were getting their layups blocked by Texas. I suppose it was a plan of the Iowa coaching staff to try and get Texas in foul trouble, but the guards don't have the knack for drawing fouls like White does. The Iowa guards shot horribly against Texas, but I don't think there are going to be to many games when that will happen. Hopefully, they will be a lot more relaxed today.

Gesell has been getting his layups blocked since he has been at Iowa. All three of the Iowa little guards were getting their layups blocked by Texas. I suppose it was a plan of the Iowa coaching staff to try and get Texas in foul trouble, but the guards don't have the knack for drawing fouls like White does. The Iowa guards shot horribly against Texas, but I don't think there are going to be to many games when that will happen. Hopefully, they will be a lot more relaxed today.
There are two key elements to getting a foul called: body control & reaction time. If someone is about to block your shot, you need to alter the positions of either your hands or arms so one of them grazes/hits the defender's outstretched arms. Whitey can do that, our guards either lack those elements or the coaches aren't teaching/drilling them on the technique.

He's on the roster; his name is Peter Jok. Coach 'Caff has a delicate decision to make. I think he needs to bench MG in favor of Jok. Sapp showed tonight that he's an okay scorer from the point, but not a legit 2 guard. MG is inconsistent at both 1 & 2. Eventually, the starting guards need to be Trey and Jok. Sapp and MG play back up to both. Sapp still deserves to be the starter, but he needs to be a better scorer sooner, rather than later. MG needs to work his way back in.

Did you even watch the game last night? Jok did one thing consistently: he got beat on defense. He didn't shoot well. He didn't pass well. He didn't rebound well. He didn't play defense well. Until he figures out there's two ends of the court and defense isn't something that's better off left to the Armed Forces, he's playing about what he should.

I'm not saying Jok can't learn to play defense. But so far in his career at Iowa, he's playing like it's the Prime Time League.

I think what bothered me about the guard play last night was the fact that when we drove it almost appeared as though they were simply forcing up shots either (A) hoping not to get swatted or (B) just throwing it up there assuming one of the bigs would be there for a put back.

Maybe its just me, but from what I saw out of Texas once they got it figured out on offense was a defense that completely over powered us.

He's on the roster; his name is Peter Jok. Coach 'Caff has a delicate decision to make. I think he needs to bench MG in favor of Jok. Sapp showed tonight that he's an okay scorer from the point, but not a legit 2 guard. MG is inconsistent at both 1 & 2. Eventually, the starting guards need to be Trey and Jok. Sapp and MG play back up to both. Sapp still deserves to be the starter, but he needs to be a better scorer sooner, rather than later. MG needs to work his way back in.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Jok is completely lost out there. There is no way he should take minutes from anyone in the starting 5.

I was thinking Gesell had a good enough game to start to turn things around. He did not need those missed free throws.

Latest posts