ASU coaching hire

theboat

Brilliant move if you ask me. They bring in a guy like Herm Edwards. He may not be the best coach ever, but if he gets the right people around him then they could crush it.
The kids he will be recruiting already watch him on a weekly, sometimes daily basis and I had to listen to what was essentially a 20 minute recruiting pitch from ESPN radio this morning on the way into work by Golic and Trey Wingo. Doesn't seem fair, but it is a wise move by ASU.

Brilliant move if you ask me. They bring in a guy like Herm Edwards. He may not be the best coach ever, but if he gets the right people around him then they could crush it.
The kids he will be recruiting already watch him on a weekly, sometimes daily basis and I had to listen to what was essentially a 20 minute recruiting pitch from ESPN radio this morning on the way into work by Golic and Trey Wingo. Doesn't seem fair, but it is a wise move by ASU.
I thought it was too bad when ESPN let go that guy from Iowa. I was hoping he'd climb the ladder there and trumpet Iowa and give them some more free pub. They messed up not getting him his own radio gig he would have killed it. That said his personality might be more inclined for the smaller market not a national one who knows... But yeah I can see ESPN slobbering all over Herm and being willing to help him in that way. He's as good of a guy as there is. He wasn't a great pro coach but seems like a great guy and no reason to root against him.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not impressed. Herm hasn't been in coaching for almost a decade, and his last stint in college was with SJSU way back in 1989, as a position coach. He's never been a coordinator or head coach in college, and hasn't recruited in 30 years. I'm not rooting against him, but I think this is a head-scratcher.

It's window dressing, a splash. A guy with a name who sounds good on television, who just has to have an opinion, he doesn't have to be right. That's changed now, an opinion, a fiery speech doesn't get it done. He's been out of coaching for awhile, and hasn't coached (or recruited) in college. It might work out, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't. It's a risky hire.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not impressed. Herm hasn't been in coaching for almost a decade, and his last stint in college was with SJSU way back in 1989, as a position coach. He's never been a coordinator or head coach in college, and hasn't recruited in 30 years. I'm not rooting against him, but I think this is a head-scratcher.
Look at Lovie Smith - he's killing it. These pro guys don't know what they are walking into in terms of recruiting and training kids from scratch.

Look at Lovie Smith - he's killing it. These pro guys don't know what they are walking into in terms of recruiting and training kids from scratch.
Lovie and Herm are pretty different as far as their demeanor goes. Not sure if they'll have similar styles in regards to recruiting or on the field. Illinois is just a terrible gig... With Northwestern doing well and Northern IL has been solid they just can't get a foothold within their own state for kids and that wouldn't be enough even if they did although it'd be a start. The pro to college argument is certainly valid to a degree it's just hard to know to what extent when they take such a crappy job to start with. ASU is certainly not IL and Herm won't have that excuse if they have a drop off of any kind.

No need to recruit when the mothership does it for you. And if he does sit in front of a recruit and their parents, he seems like a pretty likeable guy. He will get more talent. It remains to be seen what he does with it.

I will be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a terrible hire. They should have got Sumlin unless he turned them down. This reminds me of the Mike Riley hire, except worse.

Herm is going to be a disaster hire....along the lines of Illinois' hire of Lovie. Did anyone see his introductory press conference? Odd, to say the least....

I'd say the Herm Edwards hire is worse than Lovie by a large margin. At least Lovie has a winning record in the NFL and made it to a Super Bowl. Herm Edwards has a losing record in the NFL and hasn't coached since 2008. Also, I'm not a fan of hiring a 63 year old, that has no recent experience in college coaching. I really think it's a high energy job.

Pro guys coaching in college for one reason only. I mean for millions of reasons only.

Herm is going to be a disaster hire....along the lines of Illinois' hire of Lovie. Did anyone see his introductory press conference? Odd, to say the least....

Yep, this has disaster written all over it. Bringing in a 63 year old with no college coaching experience, seems about as dumb as it gets.

Snake oil salesman maybe? He seems to be very likable. The press down here are slobbering all over him. It remains to be seen in high school boys feel the same.

I think the awkwardness and the bizarre moments from the press conference is an attempt to appeal to millennials who want this kind of ironic humor in a football coach.

I'd say the Herm Edwards hire is worse than Lovie by a large margin. At least Lovie has a winning record in the NFL and made it to a Super Bowl. Herm Edwards has a losing record in the NFL and hasn't coached since 2008. Also, I'm not a fan of hiring a 63 year old, that has no recent experience in college coaching. I really think it's a high energy job.

Like Iowa has a high energy guy!

Not to get political, but Kurt's energy levels are reminiscent of Jeb Bush's. As in low. Could be why we finished 7-5 this year.

If Kurt lacks energy (which I think is incredibly stupid to say and is wayyyyy off base), his son more than makes up for it. He broke his hand during a game this year punching a wall and the also got in big trouble for going ape shit and went after a replay official.

For those who have always claimed there was a lack of "passion" at Iowa, I think this more than dispels that misnomer.

Latest posts