Arizona fans verbally and physically assault Iowa fans.......on video!!!

Seriously, do you guys not think that this exact same thing happens almost everywhere? Good lord, I've seen just as bad at Kinnick and Jack Trice. Worse in Boulder.

This is like a thread UNIGuy4Cy would start...

I've said in this thread and on CF as well that I am embarrassed by this kind of behavior in Kinnick as well. I get on the idiots here in IC if I feel like there's a few other sober people nearby (I don't like the idea of p***ing off a bunch of drunks unless I've got some backup). And that crap in Arizona was pretty offensive. I've never seen anything like that. I've been to one ISU game (against Okie State in 2000), and didn't see that kind of garbage. I've also not seen stuff at THAT level in Kinnick (but I'm a student, so there's not as much exposure to opposing fans). I don't necessarily want a church atmosphere at a game, but I don't feel like there's any place for the kind of crap in that video, regardless of who the home team is.

has anyone even questioned what was done to provoke these people (not that it makes them acting like total idiots any more acceptable) but typically people don't just completely fly off the handle because of chanting "let's go" for the opposing team.

and for those of you in this thread that are completely offended by this and seemingly up in arms, pay a little closer attention next time you're at kinnick, this happens on almost every weekend somewhere in the stands or while tailgating.

Well then you have to ask what those opposing fans at Kinnick do to provoke that kind of behavior from Hawk fans, don't you? Of course, I'm sure Iowa fans by default flip out over nothing, and they had to be doing some pretty outrageous stuff to get those 'Zona fans going *heavy sarcasm*.

I've said in this thread and on CF as well that I am embarrassed by this kind of behavior in Kinnick as well. I get on the idiots here in IC if I feel like there's a few other sober people nearby (I don't like the idea of p***ing off a bunch of drunks unless I've got some backup). And that crap in Arizona was pretty offensive. I've never seen anything like that. I've been to one ISU game (against Okie State in 2000), and didn't see that kind of garbage. I've also not seen stuff at THAT level in Kinnick (but I'm a student, so there's not as much exposure to opposing fans). I don't necessarily want a church atmosphere at a game, but I don't feel like there's any place for the kind of crap in that video, regardless of who the home team is.

I agree that it's not exactly conducive to a good environment, but let's face it, it happens, wherever you go.

It's neither reasonable nor logical for some Hawk fans to all of a sudden pretend that their city and stadium is perfect at all times just so they can vilify the Arizona fans.

Two points:

1. No amount of "provoking" deserves to have racial comments, physical assaults, or threats of violence directed at them. Period. I don't know what kind of society you Clone fans live in, but it ain't the one I live in, I can assure you of that.

2. I've been to almost every Big 10 stadium, several non-con stadiums and several bowl games. Never once have I seen anything rise to the level I saw on that tape. Sure, things get said to visiting fans on the road, etc, but not to that extent.

Well then you have to ask what those opposing fans at Kinnick do to provoke that kind of behavior from Hawk fans, don't you? Of course, I'm sure Iowa fans by default flip out over nothing, and they had to be doing some pretty outrageous stuff to get those 'Zona fans going *heavy sarcasm*.

Not going to play stupid here. A lot of Cyclone fans deserve what they get in IC. i.e. the kid getting beer cans getting chucked at him in that video from last week. but also, some don't do anything to provoke it, just like it happens in Ames to Hawk fans. I'm not leaning one way or the other here.

I guess my question to the OP is.. wouldn't contacting security have been a better course of action than taking this video, and further ******* off people? I know if i was in a confrontation, the other party sticking a camera in my face isn't going to make me happier..

Two points:

1. No amount of "provoking" deserves to have racial comments, physical assaults, or threats of violence directed at them. Period. I don't know what kind of society you Clone fans live in, but it ain't the one I live in, I can assure you of that.

2. I've been to almost every Big 10 stadium, several non-con stadiums and several bowl games. Never once have I seen anything rise to the level I saw on that tape. Sure, things get said to visiting fans on the road, etc, but not to that extent.

I've seen worse in Ames and IC. No one is saying it's right, It's just a stupid leap in logic to extrapolate this video and some stories into saying that Arizona is completely unclassy.

If you took horror stories from idiots over on CF and used that as the measuring stick for the fanbase, Iowa would be the "worst fanbase in the world", which just isn't true.

I agree that it's not exactly conducive to a good environment, but let's face it, it happens, wherever you go.

It's neither reasonable nor logical for some Hawk fans to all of a sudden pretend that their city and stadium is perfect at all times just so they can vilify the Arizona fans.

So because it happens everywhere we should just accept it for what it is? I agree there are many who are hypocritical out there, who would take offense to that stuff but then act in a similar fashion at Kinnick. But there are plenty of people who also think that kind of thing is garbage when it happens at Kinnick. This is the kind of thing that needs to be eradicated from football. I get sick of fans flipping the bird to anyone wearing the other team's colors, the offensive chants, and other ridiculous and disturbing behavior that goes on at a college football game.

So because it happens everywhere we should just accept it for what it is? I agree there are many who are hypocritical out there, who would take offense to that stuff but then act in a similar fashion at Kinnick. But there are plenty of people who also think that kind of thing is garbage when it happens at Kinnick. This is the kind of thing that needs to be eradicated from football. I get sick of fans flipping the bird to anyone wearing the other team's colors, the offensive chants, and other ridiculous and disturbing behavior that goes on at a college football game.

Agree 100%, just pointing out the hypocrites.

I've seen worse in Ames and IC. No one is saying it's right, It's just a stupid leap in logic to extrapolate this video and some stories into saying that Arizona is completely unclassy.

If you took horror stories from idiots over on CF and used that as the measuring stick for the fanbase, Iowa would be the "worst fanbase in the world", which just isn't true.

Thats if you assume that any of those stories are true in the first place. I refuse to believe any stories about how Clone fan was just walking down the street, minding his/her own business, when all of a sudden, a full can of beer was sprayed in his face/thrown at them.

If you were to believe every story you read on CyFan, you'd probably believe that the asshat standing on top of the car waving an ISU flag was being completely innocent.

Last edited:
Guys, the ISU stuff notwithstanding (and why are all of the Clowns here all of a sudden)...

I was at the game last Saturday. I've literally been to hundreds of hawk games over a long period of time (many away games). I've never been treated so rudely.

My wife and I were just walking down the sidewalk and we had people literally get in our faces and yell at us. We were walking, guys...and wearing Iowa gear.

Seriously, that atmosphere was brutal. Look at all of the posts from those of us who were there. Probably none of us know each other. Take it for what it is...the truth.

Arizona is not completely unclassy. I enjoyed a lot of what the state of Arizona (and its citizens) have to offer. I have very close friends who live in Tucson.

However, that was the biggest display of fan douchebaggery I've ever witnessed. I would've loved to have responded to the verbal abuse in some way, but I would've ended up getting arrested in Tucson or something. That would've been bad. So, I took it quietly and went home.

Having said that, I've never been to Kinnick as a visiting fan. I can't imagine it is as bad as what we experienced in Tucson. It made Madison and Columbus look like high tea.

Having said that, I've never been to Kinnick as a visiting fan. I can't imagine it is as bad as what we experienced in Tucson. It made Madison and Columbus look like high tea.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Alot of people are saying "I'm sure its just bad at other stadiums", yet no one has offered any proof or story that reinforces that point. There is always going to be isolated incidents of idiocy when alcohol and crowds are involved, but I have never witnessed anything along these lines in the 50+ times I have been walking on Melrose or in Kinnick.

As a matter fact, the worse treatment I have witnessed in Kinnick was by Wisky fans in 04 towards us. They wanted to fight us because we didn't care that their marching band was better than ours. I still don't get that.

All this said, I have heard that '98 and '02 in Iowa city was pretty rough for ISU fans. One was a Hawk fan that told me that and the other was a Cyclone fan. I discredit the ISU fan though cause she is pretty thin skinned.

Thats if you assume that any of those stories are true in the first place. I refuse to believe any stories about how Clone fan was just walking down the street, minding his/her own business, when all of a sudden, a full can of beer was sprayed in his face/thrown at them.

If you were to believe every story you read on CyFan, you'd probably believe that the asshat standing on top of the car waving an ISU flag was being completely innocent.

You do realize that other than being Hawk fans vs Cyclone fans vs. Buckeye fans, all sports message boards are basically the same, right?

If you want to say lots of stories on CF are made up, then surely you'd have to do the same for HN or any other forum.

I'm not saying all the stories are false on either CF or HN, but there's a lot of exaggerations and details left out of each "story"

Agreed. Alot of people are saying "I'm sure its just bad at other stadiums", yet no one has offered any proof or story that reinforces that point. There is always going to be isolated incidents of idiocy when alcohol and crowds are involved, but I have never witnessed anything along these lines in the 50+ times I have been walking on Melrose or in Kinnick.

As a matter fact, the worse treatment I have witnessed in Kinnick was by Wisky fans in 04 towards us. They wanted to fight us because we didn't care that their marching band was better than ours. I still don't get that.

All this said, I have heard that '98 and '02 in Iowa city was pretty rough for ISU fans. One was a Hawk fan that told me that and the other was a Cyclone fan. I discredit the ISU fan though cause she is pretty thin skinned.

IC has been pretty bad on Iowa-Iowa State weekends. full beers thrown at you while you are walking across a tailgate lot, etc. It happens. Not really too offended. It's a rivalry game.

You must have the reading comprehension of an 8 year old. Bonerjamz already said that the guy on top of the car waving the ISU flag deserved it.

And if you really don't believe that an innocent ISU fan has never had a beer thrown at him, you're even dumber than I thought. I've seen it happen. Guess what? I guarantee that Iowa fans have had beer thrown at them in Ames too. Hell, I've seen that too. Never done it, but I've seen it in the student lots more than once.

Hawk fans that want to believe that every Cyclone with a story about an ******* Hawk fan is just making it up are just as dumb as any Cyclone fan that doesn't think our fans act like idiots sometimes too. I guess if you want to keep living in fantasy land, that's your decision.

You do realize that other than being Hawk fans vs Cyclone fans vs. Buckeye fans, all sports message boards are basically the same, right?

If you want to say lots of stories on CF are made up, then surely you'd have to do the same for HN or any other forum.

I'm not saying all the stories are false on either CF or HN, but there's a lot of exaggerations and details left out of each "story"

Nope. No Hawk fan has ever been a dick to a Cyclone EVER. It's all the figment of many delusional imaginations. Shada'srevenge already said that all the stories on CF are made up. He HAS to be right.

keep in mind, iowa fans aren't the only ones saying that arizona is an awful place to go for an away game.

ask oregon how they feel about it

Latest posts