Are there any BBall Rule Changes that You Would Like to See?

eyekwah

For me I dislike the physical style of defense that is played in the modern era. I like the high scoring games that are up and down games. I've given it some thought and there are two kinds of fouls; defensive and offensive. There are not as many offensive fouls called as defensive and in a box score they are not designated. I'm asking what would happen if each player was given up to 5 fouls; three defensive and two offensive? When a player reaches 3 defensive foul they have to sit, that is it. If the player has 2 offensive fouls and less than 3 defensive fouls they would be allowed to continue to play until they reach the 5 limit. Would this discourage the amount of physical play?

If you have a rule change you would like to see please post.

The early NBA entry or the transfer rule

Fawn all ya want about the old days all ya want but our program didn’t lose our best Jr. every season to the NBA when George, Lute and Tom were around. They didn’t have guys transferring and becoming key contributors to other P5 programs and we don’t really get to see how good teams that can be developed can be anymore

That’s just the old man purest in me, I’m not saying it should be that way, it’s just the rule that I’d change

Positive change can only come about if the BT officials survey AD’s and coaches about their concerns and then have discussions among themselves
with agreement to make realistic adjustments. They must start by enforcement of the tried and true rules on a consistent basis. Don’t grab other players; get the hell out of the lane; keep you feet planted or get a suitcase; stop this “backing in“ shit; stop “carrying” the ball around; enough with “flops”; stop with “creating position” by pushing another player; if someone commits a too physical foul, call it, one warning, happens again, you become a spectator. Probably could add to the list. Nothing new here; just follow basketball rules, zebras.

Enforce three seconds in the lane. As far as I know it's still a rule. But you might see it called once a year.

I've heard local high school refs say the will warn a player if he's hanging out in the lane before they call a violation. Jeez, let's allow lane violations on free throws as well and give players several warnings.

And hanging on the rim should be a technical. Players claim they're protecting themselves. Bullshit. They're showboating about ninety percent of the time. Best way to stop it is to get the ball in right away and beat the rim hanger down the floor. He won't hang on it the next time.

Quit with all the damn monitor checking. Bad calls happen. Have coaches challenges, but otherwise, it just seems like a waste of time. Same with the other sports. I know I'm in the minority, but that's my change. I have others, but those would just be suggestions, but the replay thing is my #1.

Any fouls with less than 4:00 left in the game result in applicable free throws plus the ball back.

Look, the MSU game was one for the ages. I loved it. But that happens probably 0.000001% of all games. Make the rule apply to every team and it’s fair, and it stops the last 3 minutes from taking a half hour. It’s the one major thing that sucks about basketball.

Any fouls with less than 4:00 left in the game result in applicable free throws plus the ball back.

I would just change it so that the team that gets fouled always gets the ball back no matter what time it is in the game after they shoot their free throw(s). Even when a player is fouled when shooting, the shooting team gets the ball back after the free throw(s). Intentional fouls will be 4 free throws. Did I mention I really want to discourage fouling?

I would just change it so that the team that gets fouled always gets the ball back no matter what time it is in the game after they shoot their free throw(s). Even when a player is fouled when shooting, the shooting team gets the ball back after the free throw(s). Intentional fouls will be 4 free throws. Did I mention I really want to discourage fouling?
Nah. Fouling is too subjective. You could call an offensive or defensive foul on the same play 99% of the time. That would mean refs having way too much of an impact on the game. For instance what you think is a fouls isn't what the next guy or a ref thinks is a foul. And none of you would be right or wrong, you just think you are. Basketball fouls are 100% judgement calls.

When a team is down and fouling to try to get the ball back it's almost always obvious. Those are the ones that are mostly pointless and just needlessly extend games by a half hour (or more). Giving the ball back to the FT shooting team in the last 4:00 would completely eliminate that problem in an instant and would be 100% fair to both teams.

I would like to see things applied consistently. The banging that goes on in the lane compared to the hand check fouls called on the perimeter drive me nuts.
You don't have to worry about that with Iowa because there isn't anything that occurs in the lane in their games anyway :)

Bring back the actual jump ball and not alternative possessions. And, the players cannot touch the jump ball until it is on a downward arc. Ref tosses it high, and the kid who times his jump best wins the tip.

1. Reduce the # of timeouts allowed each team, each half, by 2. Two timeouts allowed each team each half. Currently the combination of media timeouts and team timeouts are so many that by the end of the game all the commercially sold timeouts have been used up and the networks just keep the cameras running (and commentators yapping) during timouts anyway.

2. I also like Fry's suggestion about the last 4:00 min of games. This would deal with the worst aspect of college bball today.

3. a) Require all coaches to be seated on their bench whenever the ball is in play. I'm so sick of seeing head coaches running up and down the court, being ON the court, etc during the game. Stop it. Any violation would an immediate tech on the coach; twice during a game and the coach would be expelled.
b) Eliminate coaches constantly verbally abusing and complaining about calls to refs. This would involve some subjectivity, but it's doable. Clearly, prior to the BTen tourney some sort of notice had been sent to all the teams, because there was a noticeable difference in coach and player behavior during the tourney compared to the regular season. Fran was on his best behavior, and one time when Sandfort had to sit because of a 2nd foul he sat down on the bench and slapped both hands on the floor -- a ref, a long ways away, immediately went over and gave an official warning to the bench. That never would have happened during the regular season. This constant harping toward officials has been allowed to happen, and it can be stopped just as easily.

Enforce three seconds in the lane. As far as I know it's still a rule. But you might see it called once a year.

I've heard local high school refs say the will warn a player if he's hanging out in the lane before they call a violation. Jeez, let's allow lane violations on free throws as well and give players several warnings.

And hanging on the rim should be a technical. Players claim they're protecting themselves. Bullshit. They're showboating about ninety percent of the time. Best way to stop it is to get the ball in right away and beat the rim hanger down the floor. He won't hang on it the next time.
High school and college kids can count to 3.

Look, the MSU game was one for the ages. I loved it. But that happens probably 0.000001% of all games. Make the rule apply to every team and it’s fair, and it stops the last 3 minutes from taking a half hour. It’s the one major thing that sucks about basketball.
This rule would lead to the refs just swallowing their whistles the last few minutes or worse yet, the refs would basically decide most close games via foul.

Let's say the game is tied with 20 seconds to go and there is a foul called. The game is basically over. The offense gets two shots and the ball. All they have to do is get the ball in bounds. If the defense fouls, the offensive gets FTs and the ball once again. Rinse wash and repeat. Its not that hard to get a ball in bounds.

I have no desire to legislate out of the game the Michigan State comeback. I agree that reducing stoppages for reviews is desperately needed, but intentional fouls and FTs to extend the game to make a comeback is one of the best parts of college basketball IMHO.

I was running the clock and scoreboard last year for our sophomore team game. The ref prior to the game was over at the table for small talk. It was about ready for tip off and he asked us if we were ready. He commented that he'd wish they would just do away with the jump ball and flip a coin to start the game. It made me think as I never pondered that before.

He commented that it is just so inconsistent to perform the perfect jump ball. He'd do away with it.

Hell, Iowa should just give the ball to the other team to start as they don't get the tip 95% of the time anyway.

I kind of like the tradition of it, even though it is not really significant to the game. I like the nostalgia, I guess. A part of me would hate to see it go away.

The younger people on this board probably don't remember that a jump ball was always done every tie up instead of a possession change. You'd see 6' 10" players jumping against 5' 10" players. It was comical at times but they still did it. There were 3 areas on the court the jumps would take place. The center to start the game and if a tie up was around the center during the game. Each free throw line area, depending what side of the court the tie up happened. This I believe is the reason for the circle around the FT lane/line. That circle in the lane is not really used anymore and is just a leftover from the days they used to use it for jump balls.

That was in the mid to late 80's as I remember playing in my JH and early HS having to do jump balls on ball tie ups.

Anybody remember the year that the possession change arrows were started?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
1. Reduce the # of timeouts allowed each team, each half, by 2. Two timeouts allowed each team each half. Currently the combination of media timeouts and team timeouts are so many that by the end of the game all the commercially sold timeouts have been used up and the networks just keep the cameras running (and commentators yapping) during timouts anyway.

2. I also like Fry's suggestion about the last 4:00 min of games. This would deal with the worst aspect of college bball today.

3. a) Require all coaches to be seated on their bench whenever the ball is in play. I'm so sick of seeing head coaches running up and down the court, being ON the court, etc during the game. Stop it. Any violation would an immediate tech on the coach; twice during a game and the coach would be expelled.
b) Eliminate coaches constantly verbally abusing and complaining about calls to refs. This would involve some subjectivity, but it's doable. Clearly, prior to the BTen tourney some sort of notice had been sent to all the teams, because there was a noticeable difference in coach and player behavior during the tourney compared to the regular season. Fran was on his best behavior, and one time when Sandfort had to sit because of a 2nd foul he sat down on the bench and slapped both hands on the floor -- a ref, a long ways away, immediately went over and gave an official warning to the bench. That never would have happened during the regular season. This constant harping toward officials has been allowed to happen, and it can be stopped just as easily.

I don't know. I don't think you can do that, though. It would take away too much of the game, especially in a close game, and would take the significance of good FT shooting away. I definitely wouldn't do it the last 4 minutes of the game. Maybe last 2 or something but not 4.

I don't know. I don't think you can do that, though. It would take away too much of the game, especially in a close game, and would take the significance of good FT shooting away. I definitely wouldn't do it the last 4 minutes of the game. Maybe last 2 or something but not 4.
I was thinking that maybe it would only apply if one team was ahead by more than _____ points. It would make for some interesting strategy for the team that's ahead. Do we try to score to go over that threshold or do we try to milk the clock?