Are there any BBall Rule Changes that You Would Like to See?

I was running the clock and scoreboard last year for our sophomore team game. The ref prior to the game was over at the table for small talk. It was about ready for tip off and he asked us if we were ready. He commented that he'd wish they would just do away with the jump ball and flip a coin to start the game. It made me think as I never pondered that before.

He commented that it is just so inconsistent to perform the perfect jump ball. He'd do away with it.

Hell, Iowa should just give the ball to the other team to start as they don't get the tip 95% of the time anyway.

I kind of like the tradition of it, even though it is not really significant to the game. I like the nostalgia, I guess. A part of me would hate to see it go away.

The younger people on this board probably don't remember that a jump ball was always done every tie up instead of a possession change. You'd see 6' 10" players jumping against 5' 10" players. It was comical at times but they still did it. There were 3 areas on the court the jumps would take place. The center to start the game and if a tie up was around the center during the game. Each free throw line area, depending what side of the court the tie up happened. This I believe is the reason for the circle around the FT lane/line. That circle in the lane is not really used anymore and is just a leftover from the days they used to use it for jump balls.

That was in the mid to late 80's as I remember playing in my JH and early HS having to do jump balls on ball tie ups.

Anybody remember the year that the possession change arrows were started?

Your thoughts?
I posted this on another thread, but we should use drones to drop the ball directly overhead on center court. Tell me that would not look cool and would be a completely fair way to do the jump.

If my super cool tech solution isn't accepted, then the players should have to wait until the ball is coming down before they tap it.

I was thinking that maybe it would only apply if one team was ahead by more than _____ points. It would make for some interesting strategy for the team that's ahead. Do we try to score to go over that threshold or do we try to milk the clock?
Yea, I wouldn't mind that. Nothing worse than a team fouling behind by 10 pts.

Let's say the game is tied with 20 seconds to go and there is a foul called. The game is basically over. The offense gets two shots and the ball. All they have to do is get the ball in bounds. If the defense fouls, the offensive gets FTs and the ball once again. Rinse wash and repeat. Its not that hard to get a ball in bounds.
That’s the exact reason it should be a rule. If the game clock is less than the shot clock and you foul someone, that’s on you. It’s the same rule for both teams.

If it worked even 0.01% of the time I’d be all for it. Intentional fouling doesn’t make for exciting basketball because the odds of it working are just slightly better than winning the Mega Millions.

That’s the exact reason it should be a rule. If the game clock is less than the shot clock and you foul someone, that’s on you. It’s the same rule for both teams.

If it worked even 0.01% of the time I’d be all for it. Intentional fouling doesn’t make for exciting basketball because the odds of it working are just slightly better than winning the Mega Millions

I get what you are saying in concept, but all this rule would do is to put the game in the hands of the officials even more than it already is. Just like holding in football, there is probably a foul that can be called on just about every trip down the court. I would rather that the kids decide the matter at the free throw line for the team ahead and the 3 point line for the team that is behind.

Under your rule, a team with a 4 point lead and the ball at the one minute mark basically has the game won. It takes the drama out of a reasonably close game. It would take some of the "madness" out of what makes college BB special. I don't think it needs a big change like this. It aint broke....

Compromise proposals:

1.After 10 fouls you get 3 free throws?

2. How about we implement your rule at the 5 minute mark, but then take the rule back out at the 1 minute mark. That would stop teams down by 20 points from starting the Hack A Shaq too early, but still allow for a team to make a come back if it is in striking distance at the end.

Quit with all the damn monitor checking. Bad calls happen. Have coaches challenges, but otherwise, it just seems like a waste of time. Same with the other sports. I know I'm in the minority, but that's my change. I have others, but those would just be suggestions, but the replay thing is my #1.

Yes, Yes

A thousand MFing YESes

End of games are terrible. I'd like to see intentional fouls called correctly - if the defender isn't making a play on the ball, it's an intentional foul and that team gets free throws and keeps the ball.

I don't know. I don't think you can do that, though. It would take away too much of the game, especially in a close game, and would take the significance of good FT shooting away. I definitely wouldn't do it the last 4 minutes of the game. Maybe last 2 or something but not 4.
Name the games you know it’s worked (including the MSU one) and then we’ll compare that with the many hundreds of thousands of games where it happens and it does nothing but waste a half hour of time.

There’s really no significance to good free throw shooting in this instance because it
I get what you are saying in concept, but all this rule would do is to put the game in the hands of the officials even more than it already is. Just like holding in football, there is probably a foul that can be called on just about every trip down the court. I would rather that the kids decide the matter at the free throw line for the team ahead and the 3 point line for the team that is behind.

Under your rule, a team with a 4 point lead and the ball at the one minute mark basically has the game won. It takes the drama out of a reasonably close game. It would take some of the "madness" out of what makes college BB special. I don't think it needs a big change like this. It aint broke....

Compromise proposals:

1.After 10 fouls you get 3 free throws?

2. How about we implement your rule at the 5 minute mark, but then take the rule back out at the 1 minute mark. That would stop teams down by 20 points from starting the Hack A Shaq too early, but still allow for a team to make a come back if it is in striking distance at the end.
I’d even be fine if they made the rule that a team down by six or more gave the ball back after a foul in the last 3 minutes. That’s a compromise. If you can’t make it work without intentional fouls it’s your own fault at that point.

Name the games you know it’s worked (including the MSU one) and then we’ll compare that with the many hundreds of thousands of games where it happens and it does nothing but waste a half hour of time.

There’s really no significance to good free throw shooting in this instance because it

I’d even be fine if they made the rule that a team down by six or more gave the ball back after a foul in the last 3 minutes. That’s a compromise. If you can’t make it work without intentional fouls it’s your own fault at that point.
Even tho I'm not a big fan of quarters, what the college women's game does alleviate this a little bit. The FT gambit in the men's game works primarily if the fouled opponent misses the front end of a 1-and-1. In the women's game, after 4 fouls a quarter, it's an automatic 2 FTs. I don't watch enough women's games to know if there is as much late fouling, but I can tell you in the women's games I HAVE watched, the hack attack at the end NEVER works, because college women tend to be pretty darn good FT shooters. Somebody might miss 2 in a row, but they're never gonna miss 4 with no pressure on the front end.

aba.png

Make George Mikan proud. Do away with the dog-turd-color brown ball for this beauty.

Or, say, for an Iowa home game for example, use an old gold/black colored ball for example...every team could color up the ball with their home colors if desired.

Here's another one I've campaigned for. Make the "hockey assist" an official stat.
The pass that leads to the assist is frequently the one that breaks down the defense, and is the more important pass than the one that leads to the basket.

1. Reduce the # of timeouts allowed each team, each half, by 2. Two timeouts allowed each team each half. Currently the combination of media timeouts and team timeouts are so many that by the end of the game all the commercially sold timeouts have been used up and the networks just keep the cameras running (and commentators yapping) during timouts anyway.

2. I also like Fry's suggestion about the last 4:00 min of games. This would deal with the worst aspect of college bball today.

3. a) Require all coaches to be seated on their bench whenever the ball is in play. I'm so sick of seeing head coaches running up and down the court, being ON the court, etc during the game. Stop it. Any violation would an immediate tech on the coach; twice during a game and the coach would be expelled.
b) Eliminate coaches constantly verbally abusing and complaining about calls to refs. This would involve some subjectivity, but it's doable. Clearly, prior to the BTen tourney some sort of notice had been sent to all the teams, because there was a noticeable difference in coach and player behavior during the tourney compared to the regular season. Fran was on his best behavior, and one time when Sandfort had to sit because of a 2nd foul he sat down on the bench and slapped both hands on the floor -- a ref, a long ways away, immediately went over and gave an official warning to the bench. That never would have happened during the regular season. This constant harping toward officials has been allowed to happen, and it can be stopped just as easily.
Especially 3.a. Coaches seated during the ball being in play. Sounds like a good rule for football too.

How about a grading system for refs. Ya know, like they grade players, coaches, etc.
And I'm not talking about a paper (regurgitate the rules) test, or the stamina test.

I'm talking film critique.

Make the grade, keep your job. If not, you don't.

It would weed out the incompetence.