Are Full Court Pressing

HaydenHawk56

It sounded like we pressed more in the exhibition game. I was kinda of hoping to see more of this. Of course, we had trouble getting back defending shooters so maybe this had something do with not seeing more of this.

Did we use more zone pressing in the exhibition game for those who did see that game?

bump. Can anyone provide any insight into our pressing schemes who watched the first game and the second game? Was it more Tom Davis like in the exhibition game?

No, the full court press in the exhibition wasn't the style of Tom Davis. It was the same style we used today (zone press) but South Dakota State had quicker guards who could pass much better and were able to overcome it easily.
I too liked Tom Davis style of actually guarding the inbounds pass.

Thanks Greg. So, it was more or less just 3/4 court 1-2-2 zone pressure. I agree, I liked guarding the inbound passer in Tom Davis's press.

Last edited:
It's tough to press an experienced squad. Presses are actually very easy to beat when players are experienced and well-coached. Mr. Davis used to press to control the tempo of the game. His main purpose in doing this was to speed up/slow down the game, not to get steals.

They pressed a few different ways yesterday.

They tried M2M FC press.
They tried 1-2-2 press.
They tried (I think) a 2-2-1 trapping press, at least it looked like it and Iowa got beat badly.

FWIW, SDSU's guard play was fantastic yesterday. It wasn't because Iowa made them look good (well a little bit), but their guards played well, especially the sophomore from St Cloud. He was quite impressive.

Most of the time the press did a good job of making SDSU "work" to get the ball up the court. A couple times there appeared to be some miscommunication and we gave up some easy baskets. I was hoping we would pressure them more, in particular their PG; he sure was solid but I was hoping by getting after him we could wear him down. I know May was trying to slow down Sargeant but I remember thinking that it would be nice to throw May at Wolters. I was shocked to learn that Wolters was a soph. He and Sargeant both made tough plays at timely moments. If those guys are capable of playing that way all the time, then SDSU got a couple steals