AP reporting JoePa to retire

Paterno did testify to the grand jury...

One thing I don't understand is why the grand jury didn't subpoena Joe. GA claims he told Joe and the AD/VP the details. AD/VP claim they weren't told the details. Joe can either collaborate or deny what the GA told him, which either lends credence to GA's testimony or undermines it.

in March. The GA only told Paterno the details. Paterno turned around and told the AD/VP. Because the AD/VP are deemed the people in charge, that's the only thing keeping Paterno from being charged at this point like the AD and VP.

The issue most people are having with this whole thing is that if McQueary, Paterno or the AD/VP just calls the police, this all gets handled in 2002 and it's not the story it is today. Yes, most large businesses and/or schools have protocols for employees, students, faculty, etc. to report wrongdoing. And that's one thing if you think someone is violating an HR policy or falsifying expense reports. But do we as people really need a "policy" for reporting a crime to the police when we witness it, or are told about it by someone who works for us, regardless of where it takes place? At what point does common sense take over? If I'm at work and I see someone assaulting someone else, my first reaction isn't to notify my boss. It's to call the police.

Imho, i think we should hear JoePa's side of the story until you all throw him in the fire, which you all are prematurly doing by only hearing one side. Everyone above him should br punished

Just so I've got this straight: McQuery is condemned for not intervening when he witnessed the incident/reporting to JoePa instead of going straight to the police. The AD/VP are condemned for not doing their job once they learned of the incident.

But JoePa is in the clear? Everyone below and above him in this is in hot water. Somehow, I don't get the impression that he's the innocent lamb caught in the crossfire.

It shows that the GA is a dumb***, i really dont think that joepa pulled a jim tressel and turned away and ignored it. he told his higher ups and he probably thought they would take care of it. He probably didnt know the ENTIRE story and was waiting for investigations to take place.

Just so I've got this straight: McQuery is condemned for not intervening when he witnessed the incident/reporting to JoePa instead of going straight to the police. The AD/VP are condemned for not doing their job once they learned of the incident.

But JoePa is in the clear? Everyone below and above him in this is in hot water. Somehow, I don't get the impression that he's the innocent lamb caught in the crossfire.

The AD/VP are in trouble for lying under oath to a grand jury.

Everyone is being condemned for not taking more action and calling the police including JoePa.

Woody Hayes was a legend, and he was fired the next day after striking a player who was wearing a helmet.
Think about that for a second.

The AD/VP are in trouble for lying under oath to a grand jury.

Everyone is being condemned for not taking more action and calling the police including JoePa.

I was being sarcastic (to a point). JoePa deserves everything he's getting right now, something that the poster I responded to disagrees with. Nobody's got a problem condemning the AD/VP/McQuery. I just don't see how anyone can say that JoePa was the only one who did the right thing in this (especially since he did the exact same thing as McQuery).

Woody Hayes was a legend, and he was fired the next day after striking a player who was wearing a helmet.
Think about that for a second.

This. Tressel was forced to resign or be fired a couple days before a rumored "bombshell" of a story was to be released by Sports Illustrated. That was all about tattoos, trinkets and jerseys.

I cant remember a story like this in sports and Joe Pa is going to be able to go out on his own accord. Hopefully the BOT steps in and says he is done before the end of the day.

He's going to use the Uncle Leo defense.

darrenrovell darren rovell
Paterno issues statement, confirms he plans to retire at the end of the season.

Paterno: "At this moment, the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status." Wishful thinking.

Paterno: "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Paterno says he wants to "finish the season with dignity and determination." Every single statement sounds shallow.

If Paterno finishes the season, then we'll certainly know for all time who's truly in charge of the Cowardly Lions.

He's all but ordering the Board of Trustees to forget about firing his ***. And hindsight? Dignity? He has the ******* gall to talk about either!? :mad:

from what I read, of the 5 adults who are listed as having some involvement, JoePa is the least culpable ... McQ saw a bad act in process at his workplace and took no action to end it, however he did report it to his boss, JoePa. JoePa called to his boss, the AD, to report what he was told. The AD went to the VP (the head of University Police) with the information.

Sandusky is evil, obviously. McQ failed to protect the kid at the time of the crime. The VP failed to have the case properly investigated, or intentionally covered it up.

The actual text from Paterno's statement:
I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Wow... (shaking head)....

Paterno: "At this moment, the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status." Wishful thinking.

If Paterno finishes the season, then we'll certainly know for all time who's truly in charge of the Cowardly Lions.

He's all but ordering the Board of Trustees to forget about firing his ***. And hindsight? Dignity? He has the ******* gall to talk about either!? :mad:

Yep, like I said he is trying to show the Board of Trustees one last time that he runs the place. It's really F'ing sad.

If I was on that board at the very least I would place him on leave and ban him from the stadium vs. Nebby.

from what I read, of the 5 adults who are listed as having some involvement, JoePa is the least culpable ... McQ saw a bad act in process at his workplace and took no action to end it, however he did report it to his boss, JoePa. JoePa called to his boss, the AD, to report what he was told. The AD went to the VP (the head of University Police) with the information.

Sandusky is evil, obviously. McQ failed to protect the kid at the time of the crime. The VP failed to have the case properly investigated, or intentionally covered it up.

It isnt about who is the "most guilty". Its about a bunch of people not doing enough to put a stop to the sicko who is hurting these kids. They had years to do something about it and nothing got done until one of the victims came forward a couple years ago.

Yep, like I said he is trying to show the Board of Trustees one last time that he runs the place. It's really F'ing sad.

If I was on that board at the very least I would place him on leave and ban him from the stadium vs. Nebby.

Yep, he is pulling his rank one last time and basically saying to the board, your move next.

Watch out folks, the spin machine is in hyper-turbo-overdrive!

Do his handler's really think this statement was a good idea????? Between the video outside his house and this statement he is making himself look worse minute by minute.

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

It is because of my great sorrow and out of respect for the families affected by this tradegy that I have coached my last game for PSU.

this is what he should have said. fall on your sword Joe and be a hero.