AP #9

Ok...I've watched Michigan a ton too. I'll agree to disagree with you. The game against Minnesota was when Minnesota was hot and Michigan was without Brooks and I think one other guy was missing too.

Here is my take...they play a similar pressure defense that Penn State plays, with the same level of athletes. They make it very hard to get shots...you have to take them off the dribble and create. The big question is on offense is whether Garza can win in the paint against their bigs. This will be his toughest test in my opinion...Dickenson is a bruiser and is long. He blocks a lot of shots and he works for position...so does Austin the other big.

On defense...we are going to get a good idea if our man is any good. They penetrate and run the high ball screen stuff better than any team I've seen. Smith and Brooks are exceptional in this action...they wait until the roller is open or find someone on the perimeter...they are patient once past the screen...and force you to commit to help/or allow them further in the lane. They also run that high ball screen with Wagner...and he gets to the hole or dishes...he's a good passer. Honestly they are going to torch our zone because they move the ball really well...if they shoot it well from three, we are going to give up 90 to 95. They are also going to let their bigs take it at Garza.

In my opinion...Michigan is the worst match up for Iowa in the Big Ten. Their speed differential at the guard positions is going to be really, really evident. I hope Fran goes big, with Weiskamp at the 2 and Connor at the point...then we can post them against Smith and Brooks...that's an advantage we have that we need to exploit.

This Michigan team plays smart...they don't turn it over...and they are unselfish.

I like the going big approach to trouble their guards with post ups. Only problem is that high ball screen will be even harder to defend. That is my biggest concern regardless of anyone that is in. I would still like to see that some. Might be able to get guards in foul trouble. Connor is a good passer out of the post also.

Michigan was out a starter for Minnesota. I think we are all forgetting that we didn't have a full CJ for several of our losses. I feel like he is our 3rd best player. I have no doubt we can score on teams from outside. I'm really curious how they will try to defend Luka. I don't think they will double team. Dickenson is a horse and seems to play solid defense. Should be a fun game to watch and hope we can pull it out. Keep some momentum going.

Between the distraction of Garza going for the scoring record and our big games this week I think it’s very much possible Iowa looked past PSU.

Others have said that but this Iowa team is not that just plain old athletically skilled to overlook anyone. PSU was stuck to our shooters better than Iowa was to theirs. hawks have to grind for almost everything on offense even against psu.

Meh, there's usually only one easy matchup and unless you're a 1 other than Virginia that one year, even that first game ain't guaranteed. There's too much variability. I'd take a shit seed and being hot in Smarch over winning these games now. Hell, that Michigan team a few years ago was a 3 seed and got hot as shit just at the right time.

A 3 seed is still good. You don't have to face the 2 until the Sweet 16 at minimum, and the 1 in the elite 8, barring upsets, which are far more likely at that point rather than being lined up with them in a 2nd round game. Facing those 1-2 seeds hasn't exactly worked out for us, historically. Not in my lifetime.

Give me a high seed any day, and see how the chips fall in the tournament.

Though of course, yes, of course I agree that I'd take a hot streak in the tournament over regular season wins, if I had to choose. But, I'd rather the team be playing well at season's and, rather than not.

Last edited:
I like the going big approach to trouble their guards with post ups. Only problem is that high ball screen will be even harder to defend. That is my biggest concern regardless of anyone that is in. I would still like to see that some. Might be able to get guards in foul trouble. Connor is a good passer out of the post also.

Michigan was out a starter for Minnesota. I think we are all forgetting that we didn't have a full CJ for several of our losses. I feel like he is our 3rd best player. I have no doubt we can score on teams from outside. I'm really curious how they will try to defend Luka. I don't think they will double team. Dickenson is a horse and seems to play solid defense. Should be a fun game to watch and hope we can pull it out. Keep some momentum going.
I remember the last time Michigan didn’t double Garza. Hopefully they will try that again. If Garza is playing average and they play him one on one he’s going to score over 40. Hopefully if that happens we get the win this time.

Michigan will not be a good matchup for Iowa. I don’t think we looked past Penn St. either, they played tight defense on our guards and Iowa will always struggle against that. I think we lose that game without CJ. His play will likely determine how far we go.
This. This is why we lost two games against Indiana. They have really athletic backcourt players and they disrupt our offense. Look at our starters...who can get their own shot consistently? Zero. Weiskamp and CJ can...but they aren't the penetrate and dish kind of players.

Toussaint becomes really valuable in games like these, but he just hasn't played under control as of late. He's turning it over and he's not making free throws. My take from early this season...and the way Ulis played at Rutgers...that he should be getting more run. He's got a great handle and he's not afraid to take the ball to the hole or dish...he's got game...just hasn't played enough.

This. This is why we lost two games against Indiana. They have really athletic backcourt players and they disrupt our offense. Look at our starters...who can get their own shot consistently? Zero. Weiskamp and CJ can...but they aren't the penetrate and dish kind of players.

Toussaint becomes really valuable in games like these, but he just hasn't played under control as of late. He's turning it over and he's not making free throws. My take from early this season...and the way Ulis played at Rutgers...that he should be getting more run. He's got a great handle and he's not afraid to take the ball to the hole or dish...he's got game...just hasn't played enough.
Ulis is also sitting at 94% from the line. Nice to have a guy who can finish games at the line.

If Toussaint can get his hyper under control next year and we have Ulis and Perkins as well, with Nunge and Patrick at the back end to guard the basket we can really cause some defensive havoc.

Toussaint experiment is a failure. He is valuable as a defender if we press and that's about all. Fran made a huge mistake not grooming Ulis for the playoffs.

Toussaint experiment is a failure. He is valuable as a defender if we press and that's about all. Fran made a huge mistake not grooming Ulis for the playoffs.
I kind of think you have to give Fran the benefit of the doubt here. Toussaint was really good last year. This year...I think he's trying too hard and just needs to facilitate. He's pressing the action all the time. Just penetrate and move the ball. I think he feels he has to make a great play everytime he has the ball in his hands. He doesn't. He just needs to get the defense to move / help and make the right play.

Fran will handle JT in a way that he will reach his potential, either as a starter or valuable role player. He did, after all, start last season, though his minutes were limited. I would bet at least my next extravagant social security check that Fran has regular sit downs with JT and has told him exactly what he needs to do to earn more minutes. I think he will end up a solid starter.

Fran will handle JT in a way that he will reach his potential, either as a starter or valuable role player. He did, after all, start last season, though his minutes were limited. I would bet at least my next extravagant social security check that Fran has regular sit downs with JT and has told him exactly what he needs to do to earn more minutes. I think he will end up a solid starter.
If Fran was sure about that he wouldn't have recruited Ulis.

Its weird, however, how Joe played last year once Bohannon went down, and Joe didn't have to look over his shoulder. He actually settled down. Now teams have a scouting report on him and know how to get him in trouble. Its up to Joe to make the next adjustment. He's more out of control than Brian Garner out there sometimes and you just can't have that from a floor leader.

5, 6, and 7 have already lost those week. If we win out, 3 and 4 will have lost too. The door is wide open.

Man, ya'll getting me hyped! Lets goooo
The Gonzaga game was huge, but it was so early in the season it didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. This is the biggest regular season game in as long as I can remember. If we win out, there are only two teams that can win out and possibly keep us off the 1 seed. Illinois and Villanova. I think we would pass Villanova by winning out but we probably need Illinois to lose one more time. If we lose tonight, it will be all about trying to get a 2 seed. All the big possibilities will be officially off the table.

I just saw Baylor West Virginia is cancelled. What a crock of shit. They cancelled because they don't want to play 3 games in consecutive weeks. Translation, a loss would hurt their seeding so they're better off not playing it. It's a top 10 matchup for Christ's sake. Cancel a different game. Imagine if Iowa cancelled the Michigan game so they could squeeze in the Nebraska game.

The Gonzaga game was huge, but it was so early in the season it didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. This is the biggest regular season game in as long as I can remember. If we win out, there are only two teams that can win out and possibly keep us off the 1 seed. Illinois and Villanova. I think we would pass Villanova by winning out but we probably need Illinois to lose one more time. If we lose tonight, it will be all about trying to get a 2 seed. All the big possibilities will be officially off the table.
Yeah it didn't matter who wins the first game, what matters is who wins the 2nd :)

Iowa got ANOTHER Q1 win last night....... and didn't play. We are now 6-5 in Q1, yesterday we were 5-5.

Last edited:
Also, the best strategy by far this season to a top seed in CBB is to have an extended Covid break where you sit in Limbo and can't lose. I mean, it's working for Michigan, it's working for Nova, it's worked for Gonzaga, Baylor.... If only Iowa could just freeze time and not move from where they are for the next few weeks - and we're in the dance with a great seed. But ya know what? I'd rather watch them play and earn it.

Latest posts