Anyone see the shot of KF after the Morris INT?

The only believable emotion to show would have been one of frustration ... that Morris didn't take it to the house on Iowa's longest play of the day, followed by disgust ... that The Offensive had to take the field and leave another yellow puddle somewhere around mid-field, followed by despair ... for obvious reasons.

Nothing. NOTHING!!

What is wrong with this guy?

I have said it before but I really cant take it anymore. I don't want Tom Landry on the sidelines.

For crying out loud this is college football! Show some emotion!

Years 1 & 2: Damn it Kirk, SHOW EMOTION!
Years 3, 4, 5, 6: Kirk Rocks. Cool, Calm and Collected
Years 7, 8, 9: Damn it Kirk, SHOW EMOTION
Years 9, 10: Kirk Rocks. Cool, not like crazy Rhoads
Years 11, 12, 13: Damn it Kirk, SHOW EMOTION!

Yes, there is a pattern. Yes, these posts coincide with good years and not so good years.

Also fitting into this pattern is the 'Kirk makes too much money' critiques. Same years. Same pattern.

There are many coaches who fall in between the two extremes, as I'm sure you know.
I don't think any of us are looking for a stoops or a pelini; we're just looking for something other than a slab of freakin' granite.

No, people are just looking something to hang their psychological baggage on. People feel much more comfortable if they can assign blame to something or someone. It's a curse of the species. This one happens to be a straw man.

No, people are just looking something to hang their psychological baggage on. People feel much more comfortable if they can assign blame to something or someone. It's a curse of the species. This one happens to be a straw man.

Jon, lets play a game. Let's say you are an 18-21 year old male college student-athlete on the football squad of a large midwestern school in a historically prestigious conference. In your head coach, do you look for energy, full engagement, animation, emotion, and a sense that he is "taking it personally"?
Or do you look for a remote, detached stone-faced "executive style" leader?
Remember, you're a young man looking for someone to mentor you, to mold you, to lead you into battle on the football field, not teach you trig.
Who do you prefer?
Pls answer honestly, if you can.

Jon, lets play a game. Let's say you are an 18-21 year old male college student-athlete on the football squad of a large midwestern school in a historically prestigious conference. In your head coach, do you look for energy, full engagement, animation, emotion, and a sense that he is "taking it personally"?
Remember, you're a young man looking for someone to mentor you, to mold you, to lead you into battle on the football field, not teach you trig.
Who do you prefer?

Or do you look for a coach that has a history of putting his players in the NFL?;)

Who else should be blamed?

Yeah, agreed, but these are grown up kids, some have been yelled at before and react positively to that. Some have been told to "not sweat it", and react similarly to that. But someone needs to get in their face a tad after they've made a similar error more than once. Or to show some demonstrative passion.

I like my kirk to be kinda stoic most of the times, but a little gritty at others, it kinda says "I'm glad you tried to catch the ball/pick up a block, but dang nambit, don't feck it up next time". Kids do react to scoldings, whether the error was mental or not....And, it doesn't necessarily have to be KF, as there are captains and position coaches that can give constructive and reassuring criticism in the right doses at the right times. Maybe this happens behind closed doors, but it better be happening.

FTR, i've felt that way in plenty of wins and winning seasons over the years as well.

It appears

It appears you must have had a stressful night on the radio. Thanks for your PSYCH 101 insights but I think you are full of crepes on this one. I would argue we were successful during those years in spite of his lack of emotion. I CHALLENGE you to reference one coach in all of college football who appears more detached and less communicative during the game than KF.

If you don't think that matters to 20 yr olds then you are fooling yourself.

It was fitting he didn't get his 100th win today. Against a program he has greatly underachieved. 6-8. How many of those games have we been favored in?

And please spare "the best decade of Iowa football". We beat a vastly overrated ACC team in Georgia Tech and it is not our "father's Orange Bowl" of the Miami/Nebraska/Oklahoma era. It is an irrelevant bowl save every four or five years.

Our program is in a state of decline. Put down the Kool-Aid for a moment.

Last edited:
Who do you prefer?

I will tell you what kids look for: How can I get paid to play this game in the NFL? First and foremost, all of these kids who are Johnny Ballgames at their high school level, they all think they can play in the league. Period. They don't give a crap about how the coach reacts on the sidelines.

It appears

It appears you must have had a stressful night on the radio. Thanks for your PSCH 101 insights but I think you are full of crepes on this one. I would argue we were successful during those years in spite of his lack of emotion. I CHALLENGE you to reference one coach in all of college football who appears more detached and less communicative during the game than KF.

It was fitting he didn't get his 100th win today. Against a program he has greatly underachieved. 6-8. How many of those games have we been favored in?

And please spare "the best decade of Iowa football". We beat a vastly overrated ACC team in Georgia Tech and it is not our "father's Orange Bowl" of the Miami/Nebraska/Oklahoma era. It is an irrelevant bowl save every four or five years.

Been doing this on the boards since 1999 man. Been there, done it, the cycle goes round and round. People want something to burn when their expectations are not met.

It appears

It appears you must have had a stressful night on the radio. Thanks for your PSCH 101 insights but I think you are full of crepes on this one. I would argue we were successful during those years in spite of his lack of emotion. I CHALLENGE you to reference one coach in all of college football who appears more detached and less communicative during the game than KF.

Whoa, whoa... put the hemlock down! Take a deep breath and think slowly.... what are the expectations for this team this year? :eek:

Nothing. NOTHING!!What is wrong with this guy?I have said it before but I really cant take it anymore. I don't want Tom Landry on the sidelines. For crying out loud this is college football! Show some emotion!
He did not show any emotion because he knew we were done as soon as Morris went down. He too had seen enough of "Jake" Vandenberg trying to hit triple digits on the radar gun. In JV's defense our receivers dropped the ball anyway when he was on target.

Whoa, whoa... put the hemlock down! Take a deep breath and think slowly.... what are the expectations for this team this year? :eek:

Whew! Thanks for the intervention. Just in time.:eek:

What should our expectations have been these past three years? Next year?

Have we been wrong to expect more following the best decade in Iowa history and that historical Orange Bowl victory?

No longer suicidal but definitely confused now. ??

Forget our won-loss record. You know how to tell our program is in a state of decline?

How many players will be drafted next year? Hyde? Anyone else? CJ if he learns how to block and leaves early? Who else?

I'm loving anyone that is old enough to remember Billy Kilmer.... but what kind of expectations did you have for this year?

Watching varsity blues on Netflix and Bud Kilmer is exactly like KF. Old stupid idiots with all sorts of talent in front of them and they still F it up.
KF has had team loads of NFL talent for years yet loses to the perennial bottom dwellers. No excuses when your salary is 3+ million per year. Time for KF to go.

Given our soft schedule I thought 7-6 or possibly 8-5.

Forget the won-loss record. I thought we would be more creative on offense. I thought we would be much better prepared and coached than what we have seen especially on offense.

The buck stops with the head coach. Forget the OC for a moment. Can you argue that the past few years have not been bad especially given the financial commitment made to the HC and program? Why haven't we been able to maintain the success of the program while still sending players to the NFL? And the latter seems to be in question for at least the next couple of years.

So answer my question. What have your expectations been the past three years? How long will this decline persist? Take a guess.

I thought the same a couple of times when the camera panned to Ferentz.

With the game on the line, they showed him after the back to back drops that would have been first downs. No emotion, just stood there with a blank look on his face.

They showed him after the interception that sealed the game, still standing like a statue chewing his game with a blank look on his face.

I don't know if I should be impressed with his composure or concerned that he doesn't appear that passionate. It's like he's going through the motions as if it's just another day and not a big deal if they win or lose. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I would care after 35 years of working the same job either. Especially when you have 4 million a year coming to you until 2012 and are set for life. Then again, I've been a fan for a long time and am still as passionate as ever for the game of football. I don't see that passion dying down in this lifetime.

I'm sure Ferentz cares but it's hard to tell by his reaction. He doesn't have to go ballistic, it would be nice to show some sort of emotional response though. Iowa State's coach stepped out on to the field and dropped to his knee after the interception. You could tell winning the game meant something to him but you wouldn't know it did to Kirk Ferentz by the way he stood there emotionless multiple times after failing on key plays with the game game on the line.

Latest posts