Anyone see the shot of KF after the Morris INT?

This is just a dumb discussion. A coaches emotion doesnt make a player perform better or worse......to say it universally makes players perform better is the dumbest idea ever advanced on HN, and that is saying something.

Yeah If Iowa would have played with emotion they would have gotten blown out by Minnesota the last two years. Since they played emotionless they were able to keep a close game with a very powerful goofer team.

Here's something I've noticed over the last couple of years.....KF has really toned it down a lot. There would actually be quite a few times during a season that he'd get after a ref (heck, one time the gum went flying out of his mouth)....he'd do the left-handed downward finger point, you could read "F" bombs and "BS" come out of his mouth....there'd even be times that he'd go back to the OL after a horrendous series and chew their a$$es out. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I remember him doing any of those things.

Last edited:
Yeah If Iowa would have played with emotion they would have gotten blown out by Minnesota the last two years. Since they played emotionless they were able to keep a close game with a very powerful goofer team.

Yip they played with no emotion, and they lost.....Oh, hold on, was it the players who had no emotion, or was it the coach that had no emotion, I forget the point you are trying to make....So if the coach would show emotion on the sideline, then the players would have emotion. Since KF isn't a total lunatic on the sideline, he doesn't care if he wins or loses.

That is the thing with the idiotic argument. The guy has emotions, he has cried at many a game. If you actually think that you or any other fan cares more about these players, these coaches, or wins and losses, than KF and his players and coaches, then there really is no help for you. Since you rant and rave on a message board, that means you care sooooooo much more than everyone else. :rolleyes: What a joke.

Last edited:
Here's something I've noticed over the last couple of years.....KF has really toned it down a lot. There would actually be quite a few times during a season that he'd get after a ref (heck, one time the gum went flying out of his mouth)....he'd do the left-handed downward finger point, you could read "F" bombs and "BS" come out of his mouth....there'd even be times that he'd go back to the OL after a horrendous serious and chew their a$$es out. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I remember him doing any of those things.

He was pretty livid after Alvis' roughing the punter.

He was pretty livid after Alvis' roughing the punter.

So he decided to go after a player that made an AGGRESSIVE mistake? Maybe he should save his vitriol for players that are making passive, pu$$y mistakes. Just a thought.

By the way, if you're saying he went after the ref, then that's just crazy talk because it was blatant roughing the kicker. I just don't know which because I didn't see what you are referring to.

Yip they played with no emotion, and they lost.....Oh, hold on, was it the players who had no emotion, or was it the coach that had no emotion, I forget the point you are trying to make....So if the coach would show emotion on the sideline, then the players would have emotion. Since KF isn't a total lunatic on the sideline, he doesn't care if he wins or loses.

That is the thing with the idiotic argument. The guy has emotions, he has cried at many a game. If you actually think that you or any other fan cares more about these players, these coaches, or wins and losses, than KF and his players and coaches, then there really is no help for you. Since you rant and rave on a message board, that means you care sooooooo much more than everyone else. :rolleyes: What a joke.

KF has no emotion and his players have shown they dont care time and time again. Neither the coaches or the players have been able to get up for very poor teams. Since youre so smart why dont you tell me why KF loses on a regular basis to the worst teams in the country.

So he decided to go after a player that made an AGGRESSIVE mistake? Maybe he should save his vitriol for players that are making passive, pu$$y mistakes. Just a thought.

By the way, if you're saying he went after the ref, then that's just crazy talk because it was blatant roughing the kicker. I just don't know which because I didn't see what you are referring to.

He was screaming at the ref's. Replays showed Alvis touching the ball, making it not a penalty.

Were they to look to an NFL coach with the same personality type...

...they would see Bill B., with three wins in five Supr Bowls who acts the same way. So maybe perrsonality isn't the overiding factor. I could be wrong, but I don't think you are right, scorp.

So when he is in tears after a big win, that's not emotion? Just wondering.

He has a calm, stoic demeanor when big (good) plays happen.

But he does have emotion, do you not recall the times KF has gone off on an official that missed a call? That happens.

I admit, I was hoping he'd at least do the Lovie Smith gold clap... but that's KF.

Re: Were they to look to an NFL coach with the same personality type...

...they would see Bill B., with three wins in five Supr Bowls who acts the same way. So maybe perrsonality isn't the overiding factor.
This is an excellent point.

I just want the head ball coach to be a bit more animated. Not a spaz, mind you, but to offer some clear demonstrations that he's really into the flow of the game and has the same energy level as the players.
Ferrets is just too stiff for my tastes. The arms-crossed-stern-face-chewing-gum routine is really tired.

Re: Were they to look to an NFL coach with the same personality type...

...they would see Bill B., with three wins in five Supr Bowls who acts the same way. So maybe perrsonality isn't the overiding factor. I could be wrong, but I don't think you are right, scorp.

You don't watch many Patriots games, do you T.
I do. Belichick is a LOT more animated than Ferrets.

This is just a dumb discussion. A coaches emotion doesnt make a player perform better or worse......to say it universally makes players perform better is the dumbest idea ever advanced on HN, and that is saying something.

remove your cleverly inserted "universally" (nice try, but the premise-killing absolute is pretty obvious) .... and I feel sorry for you. You must live in a tired, drab, gray world where words like "motivation", "leadership", "inspiration", and yes..."emotion" have no value.

Average people have achieved great things... with that intangible "something extra"...that can't be practiced, quantified, or put in a playbook or plan. And sports...college sports in particular...are a prime example of just that. Sadly, it's an advantage we'll rarely, if ever, have under Ferentz.

Last edited:
It is extremely dangerous for Ferentz not to show emotion after every play. How else besides constant emotional feedback do we expect a defensive player at the Big Ten level to remember whether intercepting a pass is good or bad?

Honestly, I bet Kirk was very nervous on the return because he knew Morris needed to house that kick for Iowa to win. He didn't and I think Kirk was disappointed knowing his offense was in neutral and needed that Pick 6.

All I know is, if Kurt Ferrets had jumped up and down and played some grabass, JVB probably doesn't throw that INT to Knott to end the game...nuff said.

The "no emotion" argument is the dumnest one made on this site (and that is REALLY saying something)

just me, i kind of dig the stoic nature of KF. Anybody that thinks he don't care (prolly more than any of us), is crazy. And if somehow they would be corrent(which barring a statement from KF we wouldn't know), then yes, time to move on.

This is a completely subjective argument on "emotion"...thus pointless.

We have all seen KF get fired up when he believes its necessary, the proud tears when its warranted. I have seen the interviews with former players that adore the man and have said multiple times the guy gets after the players behind the football "curtain". he's a professional...and thats what we see on the sidelines... He lets us take care of the "emotion" part (see every post for the last 3 days"

Latest posts