Anyone honestly still of the opinion...

Here's all that matters ... is this team better than PSU/Nebby tomorrow? Then, are they better than Purdue on Friday? How about Wisky, after that? Finally, are they good enough to beat what will be a very tough 10 or 11 seed in Omaha next Thursday?

Go Hawks!! I'm giddy and anxious, all at once. Give me Malox and a rotation of Killians, Shiner, Shock Top and Sam's for the next 4 days, please, Nurse. We'll do it again next weekend, too. Thanx.

I like the way you drink..... uhhhhh THINK!

Not a chance IMO. Last year's offense against this year's defense would be ugly. This year's offense against last year's defense would score at will.

This year's White would outplay last year's White. This year's Uthoff would dominate last year's Uthoff. This year's Clemmons would own last year's Clemmons. This year's Woodbury is better. This year's Jok is much better.

Gesell is probably close to a wash...seems better this year because they play as a team. Olaseni is probably a wash.

Marble is a plus for last year's team. Oglesby was better from 3 last year.

Basabe is offset by the production from the guys getting his minutes.

If last year's team played this year's team, the 2013/14 team may have the lead inside the last 2-5 minutes, but cough it up... The 2014/15 team seems to have finally found some toughness at last, and seems much better at playing with a lead. Sure, they had some serious 2nd half woes earlier in the year, but it seems like they got it figured out and are playing 40 minute games now.

NO WAY! Basketball is a TEAM sport and this is more of a team than last year was. Teams that played Iowa last year just had to shut down Marble and hope someone else was not picking up the slack - thats why we did not make the tourny. (play in game at Dayton does not count).

Again with this notion. Yes, it does count. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament had 68 teams last year and it's been that way since 2011. Before that 65 teams made the tournament, from 2001-2010. Before that 64 teams made the tournament, from 1985-2000. The number of teams that qualify will most likely increase.

Say what you want, but the First Four games are a part of the NCAA Tournament. You need only ask this question: If you qualify for one of the First Four games is it possible to win the NCAA championship? The answer is "Yes, it's possible." It's not probable but it is possible. If it's possible to win the tournament, then you made the tournament. It counts. Get over it.

Or, are you going to say in 1980 when we made that magical run to the Final Four that it didn't count? After all, the field was increased from 40 teams in 1979 to 48 teams in 1980 and we had a so-called "play-in" game where our next round opponent had a bye.

Again with this notion. Yes, it does count. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament had 68 teams last year and it's been that way since 2011. Before that 65 teams made the tournament, from 2001-2010. Before that 64 teams made the tournament, from 1985-2000. The number of teams that qualify will most likely increase.

Say what you want, but the First Four games are a part of the NCAA Tournament. You need only ask this question: If you qualify for one of the First Four games is it possible to win the NCAA championship? The answer is "Yes, it's possible." It's not probable but it is possible. If it's possible to win the tournament, then you made the tournament. It counts. Get over it.

Or, are you going to say in 1980 when we made that magical run to the Final Four that it didn't count? After all, the field was increased from 40 teams in 1979 to 48 teams in 1980 and we had a so-called "play-in" game where our next round opponent had a bye.

It sucks for the loser of the Nebraska Penn State game and the Rutgers Minnesota game that they won't make the Big 10 Tournament. Or is it every team except Wisconsin, Purdue, Maryland, Michigan State, and whoever their opponents are that won't make the tournament? If that's the case, i sure hope we win tomorrow so we get credit for making it this year.

The collapse of the defense from a year ago baffles me. Guys who have proven to be inconsistent shooters went cold but the defense went from, at times, looking dominant to a complete sieve for 7 games or so.

I know we have a few days off, and this is a message board, so we have to talk about something, but ...

After watching the last month of this team, compared to the last month of last year's team ... who cares which team is "better?" Which team would you rather watch? Which team gives you a better feeling that you're going to be celebrating a victory later that day? Which team would you rather talk about with your co-workers? Which team is playing together, having fun, and just generally not causing misery for all those involved?

I guess I don't care who's better. Or which team would win 6/10 (even though there's no way I'd pick last year's team to win 6 of anything in feb/march). I'm going to enjoy this year, and probably use it to forget last year.

The collapse of the defense from a year ago baffles me. Guys who have proven to be inconsistent shooters went cold but the defense went from, at times, looking dominant to a complete sieve for 7 games or so.

This is why I would lean toward the 2014-2015 team being better. At the end of the season Iowa was one of the worst teams in the conference because they couldn't defend, even a bad Northwestern team at the BTT. They scored 89 vs Minnesota, 86 vs Indiana, & 76 at Michigan St with Marble going off. Iowa lost every game, MSU by double figures.

Whether it was effort, team chemistry, the other teams just figured Iowa out, maybe all, it was awful.

This team is better at this point in the season anyway for sure. As far as at the midseason time? I'd say it's pretty close. I'll look at it this way if I had the two teams playing each other on a video game I think Devin Marble is the X factor. When he was good he was just ridiculously good. But when he wasn't.... On this years team you have different guys stepping up here and there. Uthoff has been up and down. Woody and Gabe have had their ups and downs. Jok has had 5 or 6 pretty good games but outside of that nothing too crazy. I dunno I'd be fun to see the two groups play each other at their peaks....

That the 2013-14 Hawks were better than 2014-15 Hawks? I know there were people that thought we couldn't be as good of a team because of the loss of mainly one player. I was always of the belief that we would be better at all but one position than last year and the other four spots would easily make up for that loss.

I don't think this team is better than last year's. The Big Ten is way down compared to last year. Look at all the embarrassing loses in the non-conference season. Other than Wisconsin, most teams aren't as good as they were last year. Look at Iowa being humiliated by Moo U in Iowa City. Last year Iowa blew the game in Ames. I think there is a good chance that the Badgers will be the only team playing after the first weekend of the tournament. I hope not.

I don't think this team is better than last year's. The Big Ten is way down compared to last year. Look at all the embarrassing loses in the non-conference season. Other than Wisconsin, most teams aren't as good as they were last year. Look at Iowa being humiliated by Moo U in Iowa City. Last year Iowa blew the game in Ames. I think there is a good chance that the Badgers will be the only team playing after the first weekend of the tournament. I hope not.

I fear you speak the truth. I'm not ready to accept it, just yet.

Here's what I know -- and pretty much all that matters to me ... I sure have enjoyed February and March 2015 a whole lot more than 2014. Don't care to compare and dissect the nuances beyond the W's and L's.

#ostrich ;)

The B1G is down some this year, but really has just fallen back to the pack of what every other conference is like. It ain't like the ACC/Pac12/BigEast are world beaters. The Big12 is slightly above the rest, but the B1G/ACC/BigEast are right behind them.

Today's game ends this debate!

Last year's team choked in the first game against a low seed last year, too. Pretty much a wash, I guess.

Honestly, who the heck knows anymore. Both teams have/had the capacity to look great, or look VERY bad. Hard to know what each team "is".

But we only wow one more game. Where the selection committee decides to put us based on every other team in the nation doesn't really matter.

Um yes it does. Iowa is one of the top 32 teams this year. They were barely one of the top 68 teams last year. Where you finished compared to the other teams you compete against does matter. No matter what way you look at it they were better. They won more games while playing a TOUGHER schedule. They had more impressive road wins that last year. They won 6 conference road games (I don't care who they are against, they haven't done that since '87). They were 8-9 against top 100 RPI teams this year, they were 7-11 against top 100 RPI teams last year.

Latest posts