Anyone honestly still of the opinion...

In football, which team was better? The '10 team that finished 7-5 or the '13 team that finished 8-4? Sometimes teams over achieve and sometimes teams under achieve. If the 2 teams played 10 times, last year's team would win more than 5.

Here's all that matters ... is this team better than PSU/Nebby tomorrow? Then, are they better than Purdue on Friday? How about Wisky, after that? Finally, are they good enough to beat what will be a very tough 10 or 11 seed in Omaha next Thursday?

Go Hawks!! I'm giddy and anxious, all at once. Give me Malox and a rotation of Killians, Shiner, Shock Top and Sam's for the next 4 days, please, Nurse. We'll do it again next weekend, too. Thanx.

In football, which team was better? The '10 team that finished 7-5 or the '13 team that finished 8-4? Sometimes teams over achieve and sometimes teams under achieve. If the 2 teams played 10 times, last year's team would win more than 5.

I don't know PC. This is always a tough one for me. You are what your record says you are. If the '10 team was so great, why did they lose all those freaking games? If last years team was so good, why did they lose all those games. At the end of the day, the final record was 21-10 this year, and 20-11 last year. It isn't like our SOS was easier than last year (#27 this year, #42 last year). So we played a tougher schedule, we won an extra game, we had more impressive road wins, and we are firmly in the NCAA tourney. All of these things are greater than last year, so how can you say that last years team was better? All the games count, not just the first 25, and the NCAA judges teams on their complete body of work, which is obviously much more impressive for Iowa this year than last for the reasons I listed.

I don't know PC. This is always a tough one for me. You are what your record says you are. If the '10 team was so great, why did they lose all those freaking games? If last years team was so good, why did they lose all those games. At the end of the day, the final record was 21-10 this year, and 20-11 last year. It isn't like our SOS was easier than last year (#27 this year, #42 last year). So we played a tougher schedule, we won an extra game, we had more impressive road wins, and we are firmly in the NCAA tourney. All of these things are greater than last year, so how can you say that last years team was better? All the games count, not just the first 25, and the NCAA judges teams on their complete body of work, which is obviously much more impressive for Iowa this year than last for the reasons I listed.

I'm not a believer in "you are what your record says you are". Things happen in a season both good and bad that can affect your final record.

I think last year's team had a good chance to beat any top team in the nation. When this year's team played top teams, they got beat up bad. Did last year's team ever lose a game by double digits?

Couldnt step up, Mike shot 16/55 to end the year, Uthoff shot about 20% from 3 in B10 play and disappeared any time a game got physical, White wouldn't take a shot outside of a layup. Who else was Fran going to give the ball to?

This.

The only one who could score was RDM. The players on this team didn't even start out this year all that great, but have really made strides as the season has gone on. Exactly how it should work.

I think this year's team, overall, is better, at least as of late. But as the old saying goes: It's not where you start, but where you finish. This year's team > last year's team at this point in the season.

Take this team as it is now, and replay the season, and I'll wager we'd see better than a 21-10 record. Not sure we could say the same for last year's team.

Last edited:
I think this year's team, overall, is better, at least as of late. But as the old saying goes: It's not where you start, but where you finish. This year's team > last year's team at this point in the season.

Take this team as it is now, and replay the season, and I'll wager we'd see better than a 21-10 record. Not sure we could say the same for last year's team.

I think if both teams could replay their season 10 times, last year's team would average at least 3 more wins a season than they had, and this year's team would be around the same as they had this year. That's because of what you said in your post. They weren't very good at the beginning of the year and they got better. Last year's team was good the whole time and hit a rut that wouldn't necessarily be duplicated if they had it to do over again.

I agree that if this team now could start over, they would have a lot better record. What i said in my last post meant that if the season just started over and the players had to start over too, the record would probably be the same. I'm not sure i got that point across in my last post.

We only won 1 more game in the regular season than we did last year. 1 game is hardly undeniable proof that a team is better.
They did so against better competition and by winning on the road. This year's team is better, they finished way better in conference (yeah, the big 10 was way better last year but we folded against bad teams last year) and have already made it further in the tournament. They shouldn't be better, last year's team had final four potential at one point and this one doesn't.

I'm not a believer in "you are what your record says you are". Things happen in a season both good and bad that can affect your final record.

I think last year's team had a good chance to beat any top team in the nation. When this year's team played top teams, they got beat up bad. Did last year's team ever lose a game by double digits?

Road wins mean a lot too. This team has 7.

All I know is that I have a lot better feeling about this team in March than I did about last year's team last March. They'll need to keep it rolling so I can continue to believe the same way.

We already know we're going to get 1 round further in the NCAA Tournament.

That the 2013-14 Hawks were better than 2014-15 Hawks? I know there were people that thought we couldn't be as good of a team because of the loss of mainly one player. I was always of the belief that we would be better at all but one position than last year and the other four spots would easily make up for that loss.
NO WAY! Basketball is a TEAM sport and this is more of a team than last year was. Teams that played Iowa last year just had to shut down Marble and hope someone else was not picking up the slack - thats why we did not make the tourny. (play in game at Dayton does not count).

If the 2 teams played 10 times, last year's team would win more than 5.

Not a chance IMO. Last year's offense against this year's defense would be ugly. This year's offense against last year's defense would score at will.

This year's White would outplay last year's White. This year's Uthoff would dominate last year's Uthoff. This year's Clemmons would own last year's Clemmons. This year's Woodbury is better. This year's Jok is much better.

Gesell is probably close to a wash...seems better this year because they play as a team. Olaseni is probably a wash.

Marble is a plus for last year's team. Oglesby was better from 3 last year.

Basabe is offset by the production from the guys getting his minutes.

To be honest I'm not sure.

Hawks certainly seem to be peaking at the right time. But if you look at last year, if I recall weren't we knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking? My memory isn't good so this could be way off so correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if you come to the conclusion that this years team is better, the reasoning shouldn't point to Dev.

The reasoning is comparing these players.

Clemmons vs. Clemmons
Uthoff vs. Uthoff
White vs. White
Mike G. vs. Mike G.
Gabe vs. Gabe
Woody vs. Woody
Jok vs. Jok

The only player I can probably look at and say took a step backwards was Ogelsby.

To be honest I'm not sure.

Hawks certainly seem to be peaking at the right time. But if you look at last year, if I recall weren't we knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking? My memory isn't good so this could be way off so correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if you come to the conclusion that this years team is better, the reasoning shouldn't point to Dev.

The reasoning is comparing these players.

Clemmons vs. Clemmons
Uthoff vs. Uthoff
White vs. White
Mike G. vs. Mike G.
Gabe vs. Gabe
Woody vs. Woody
Jok vs. Jok

The only player I can probably look at and say took a step backwards was Ogelsby.

Exactly, it's been pointed out but when we fell apart it was marble playing well, everyone else sucking and our defense completely falling apart.

I think most people just remember the end of last year. Otherwise they wouldn't say things like "we didn't play as a team". For the first half or more of last year, they were just as much of a team as this year is. I remember announcers talking all the time about how much the players loved playing together last year.

If someone wants to say we are better now than we were at the end of last year, i can agree with that. But taking the years as a whole, last year's was better. Last year's team would have never been blown out against the teams this year, including Wisconsin.

Latest posts