Any observations from Kids Day?

Don't kid yourself guys...the movement on the offensive line is based on pass protection...period. I'm sure Welsh taking snaps at right tackle is also about depth at tackle, but my guess is that we may have an issue at left tackle consistently protecting the QB. Personally I think it's good...I think the top 7-8 offensive linemen have proven they can run block and that they are physical...but the top 5 at protecting the QB will play. You have 3 or 4 guys that can step in at guard...Paulson, Render, and Reynolds...It's about protecting the QB from edge rushers. We were bad last year at consistently blocking good ends.

I guess the good thing is that if they can block some of the guys we have on the edge now on defense...that bodes well.

Love it! Shoot for the stars! No more golly gosh gee whiz, we're only Iowa. WE ARE.............IOWA!!

Yep that is all it takes is the fans or coaches saying we are champions. Too bad for Iowa that Fleck just took over Minnesota, and he says they are #Elite, we have no chance now.

Don't kid yourself guys...the movement on the offensive line is based on pass protection...period. I'm sure Welsh taking snaps at right tackle is also about depth at tackle, but my guess is that we may have an issue at left tackle consistently protecting the QB. Personally I think it's good...I think the top 7-8 offensive linemen have proven they can run block and that they are physical...but the top 5 at protecting the QB will play. You have 3 or 4 guys that can step in at guard...Paulson, Render, and Reynolds...It's about protecting the QB from edge rushers. We were bad last year at consistently blocking good ends.

I guess the good thing is that if they can block some of the guys we have on the edge now on defense...that bodes well.

This. Essentially we are seeing an offensive line made up of guards. Tackle is the offensive issue. The WR issue might, or might not be solved, but can be fixed now that there are 2 legit RB's. The tackle problem is the game inside the game.

This. Essentially we are seeing an offensive line made up of guards. Tackle is the offensive issue. The WR issue might, or might not be solved, but can be fixed now that there are 2 legit RB's. The tackle problem is the game inside the game.
While I agree on some points I feel the tackles will Be above average and a positive. Think the DE talent is legit at Iowa and top level. WR I'm not toe worried about as the pressure down the middle of the field caused by the TE will soften up the D and prevent stacking(for the most part)

While I agree on some points I feel the tackles will Be above average and a positive. Think the DE talent is legit at Iowa and top level. WR I'm not toe worried about as the pressure down the middle of the field caused by the TE will soften up the D and prevent stacking(for the most part)
It's typical Ferentz era O-line development. The staff will tinker w/ the makeup of the line until it's solid. Combine this seasonal constant with the inexperience at QB and there may be some losses early on that are unexpected. I believe the defense will be a force that will keep Iowa in nearly all of the games. The question is, as usual, "Will the O-line be ready by the time conference play arrives?" and the follow up question would be "Will the QB survive until it gels?"

Yep that is all it takes is the fans or coaches saying we are champions. Too bad for Iowa that Fleck just took over Minnesota, and he says they are #Elite, we have no chance now.
Obviously not but the Iowa attitude of downplaying one's abilities and talents wears thin after awhile; along with bitching about the weather and the price of corn.

I think you've made it clear by the quality of your posts that excellence is something you not only know little about . . . but have never strived for . . . and nothing offends you more than those who think it is a worthy goal.

I think you've made it clear by the quality of your posts that excellence is something you not only know little about . . . but have never strived for . . . and nothing offends you more than those who think it is a worthy goal.

If we are being honest, there probably isn't a poster on here that has come close to the type of a achievements in their field of work that Kirk Ferentz has achieved in his Profession. At least I have the self awareness to understand that an idiot like you or me has ZERO clue as to how to win at the level he has in the most competitive of environments.

Obviously not but the Iowa attitude of downplaying one's abilities and talents wears thin after awhile; along with bitching about the weather and the price of corn.

Ferentz stated goal s the goal they strive for as a team each and every year is to win the B1G. I think that is a great goal, and if you accomplish that, I would say the chances of making the playoffs is pretty good.

Watched Howe's video from Kids Day (thanks Rob)....

QBs made some great touch passes downfield and WRs made some tough receptions.

Fant looked huge.

Backup RBs Young and KM were impressive.

Looks like Iowa blocked the draw well. I don't know if that's every been a strength.

AJE looked huge.

Appeared several of the sacks were due to blitzes.

Obviously not but the Iowa attitude of downplaying one's abilities and talents wears thin after awhile;...
Only for some people. Some think it only matters on the field. 'Speak softly and carry a big stick' is an attitude that works well.

Yeah, practice was great but I can't help but be reminded of the comments by Josh Rosen in The Bleacher Report when he gave an interview last week. I can't hep but agree with him, the game of college football is no longer played by truly amateur student athletes. The schedule required to play football keeps so many kids from pursuing their academic goals. We need to rethink the entire amateur structure of college sports, especially in the high revenue teams. While the subject of changing amateurism and student athlete benefits has always generated debate and controversy, I think Rosen elevated the subject during his interview.

But yeah practice was great.

Yeah, practice was great but I can't help but be reminded of the comments by Josh Rosen in The Bleacher Report when he gave an interview last week. I can't hep but agree with him, the game of college football is no longer played by truly amateur student athletes. The schedule required to play football keeps so many kids from pursuing their academic goals. We need to rethink the entire amateur structure of college sports, especially in the high revenue teams. While the subject of changing amateurism and student athlete benefits has always generated debate and controversy, I think Rosen elevated the subject during his interview.

But yeah practice was great.
Lol.... I see what you did there. :)

We had the highest rated OL last year, with 5 returning starters...what would there be issues?

I hate to admit it but I think last year's award was a combo of a lifetime achievement award for KFs OLs and a delayed award for 2015. Add the fact it's the Joe Moore award named after KFs primary mentor and it seems a little
less legit. IA clearly had a nice OL last year but that wasn't the 2002 line or 2010 WI line.

My observations.

1) RB's - Solid! Wadley was Wadley. Bulter is just a ball of muscle. Compact and balanced. He won't side step dance or spin like Wadley but he'll cut an burst when he sees a hole. Toren Young was a pleasant find that day at RB. I see him getting some carries a game to spell the other two. He had a nice long TD run and looked very good. Depth very good at RB.
2) QB's - I believe Stanley has the edge at this point. Pretty close though. QB's seemed to have quite a few balls batted down. The freshman Mansell looks quite promising for the future. He probably has the quickest footwork of all the QB's. I think the future is bright for the Hawks at QB in the future.
3) Kickers - A very pleasant surprise. They had a very good day. Miguel Recinos really surprised me that day. He was spot on and very consistent which was different than last years Kid's day. He has the more robust leg and drove the ball better on longer FG kicks (42 or longer). From what I saw I'm not sure there won't be a little bit of a competition there. Duncan was solid as well but some of his longer kicks, well think of the little train that could, "I think I can, I think I can...". They would go thru but you seem to wait on them and will them through. Sometimes you wondered if had enough to clear the bar on the longer kicks where Recinos seemed to drive the ball to the back of the net. I feel very confident with the kicking position. I wonder if Recinos will get the longer FG attempts and Duncan from inside a certain position on the field. We will see.
4) WR's - I also noticed that Easely wasn't out there but saw from above battling a hamstring issue. There might be enough there to help keep the offense in balance. I think Devonte Young is in the mix and could be a nice find this year. I am still waiting for Adrian Falconer to break out but that seems to be a yearly wait. Maybe I just like saying his name. I think Max Cooper could play himself into some game reps. I'm excited for this young player. I think the TE's are going to be a solid group and think BF and KOK will utilize them more and even downfield more.
5) Surprise of the day and completely out of the blue! - When going to these things, there is always a player that stands out and your consistently looking at the program to see who's #71, then forget later and do all over again. I kept seeing plays and running across the same player when looking up. That player for me that day was Mark Kallenberger who plays O line. He's only a freshman so he obviously isn't going to see much time this year if any, but, in one-on-one drills he was consistently fighting his guy off and by the end of the drill pile driving his guy into the turf until the whistle was blown. I appreciated his aggressiveness, drive and aggression thru the whole play. I would just keep seeing him pile drive players and ask myself "Who the heck is #71". He just stuck out to me. Remember his name as he very well may be Iowa's next great tackle.
6) The Turf - Looked terrific! They got it right and the Tiger Hawk actually looks even better than it did in the pics. My one boy notices weird crap and he noticed the font in the numbers was different along with the placement of the arrows by the numbers. It seems the font of the numbers wasn't just a blocky kind of font. It had a little "angle" to the numbers which was kind of cool and different. The field look great overall.

That's it!

Last edited:

Latest posts