Any news on Washpun's meeting with Fran?

Sounds like a kid with a chip on his shoulder and i can't blame him. He's loyal, he believes in his talents, and is thoughtful about his options. He doesn't come off as bitter or arrogant at all. I like him!

Sounds like if Tennessee offers, he's gone. If we can't keep a 2nd tier recruit from Iowa that lives 30 minutes away then this staff has some serious issues. Recruiting is not going well right now and this would be a huge blow at this point. If Washpun doesn't want to play for Iowa what are others going to think?

Sounds like if Tennessee offers, he's gone. If we can't keep a 2nd tier recruit from Iowa that lives 30 minutes away then this staff has some serious issues. Recruiting is not going well right now and this would be a huge blow at this point. If Washpun doesn't want to play for Iowa what are others going to think?
Iowa probably could have kept him easily if they wouldnt have gotten in so late. He said in the interview prior to recieving the offer on Monday he had never spoken with Fran other than saying "Hi" at Washington games when he was there to see Oglesby. I cant fault the kid for going to Tennesee if they offer because Martin has been in with him since the begining.(Maybe Katenda will do the same):D

It's not that Fran "can't keep him here". Martin started recruiting him much earlier, and recruiting is largely about building relationships. He feels that Martin believed in him first.

How bad would it be if Katenda chooses a school over Iowa (Fran's loyalty) even though Fran has been on him since the beginning?? What would that say? Washpun is going to TN if they offer and Pierre Jackson isn't going to commit either (too late in the game on him).

How bad would it be if Katenda chooses a school over Iowa (Fran's loyalty) even though Fran has been on him since the beginning?? What would that say? Washpun is going to TN if they offer and Pierre Jackson isn't going to commit either (too late in the game on him).
Bad, but luckily they have this going for them:

• Iowa returns 87.1% of its offensive production next year, including its top three scorers. The Hawkeyes also return 81.4% of their rebounding and 91.5% of their assists.

Final Notes on 2010-11 Season - Iowa Official Athletic Site
:p

A majority of these kids don't want to be part of a rebuilding project.Sounds like Washpun isn't sold on the time it will take Iowa to get back to the tourney. Unfortunately it's the mentality of a lot of kids in society these days - want everything given to them and not have to work. I see it first hand at school. Not all but a lot want instant gratification and that goes with athletics too - want to win NOW not have to work hard and lose. I think that is what Fran is realizing now, he is getting a lot of kids that want to win NOW.

Bad, but luckily they have this going for them:

• Iowa returns 87.1% of its offensive production next year, including its top three scorers. The Hawkeyes also return 81.4% of their rebounding and 91.5% of their assists.

Final Notes on 2010-11 Season - Iowa Official Athletic Site
:p

So that's the bad news, where's the good news? Ha, if we have 80% of our offense come from new players this year, it means we must be making progress. :)

A majority of these kids don't want to be part of a rebuilding project.Sounds like Washpun isn't sold on the time it will take Iowa to get back to the tourney. Unfortunately it's the mentality of a lot of kids in society these days - want everything given to them and not have to work. I see it first hand at school. Not all but a lot want instant gratification and that goes with athletics too - want to win NOW not have to work hard and lose. I think that is what Fran is realizing now, he is getting a lot of kids that want to win NOW.

If that's the case, these kids are really missing the boat. A team can turn it around in a year or two...with a few players.

Imagine the current roster with Washpun, White, Oglesby, and some combo of Katenda/Olaseni /or another guard added. I think that's worth 6-10 more wins than last year. Suddenly, March Madness isn't so far off.

It will be very interesting to see how this goes down. I personally think that he will choose Iowa...just my opinion. If he does not then so be it, and no, it does not mean a thing as far as the coaching staff's ability to recruit...give me a break.

It will be very interesting to see how this goes down. I personally think that he will choose Iowa...just my opinion. If he does not then so be it, and no, it does not mean a thing as far as the coaching staff's ability to recruit...give me a break.

I agree that one player coming or going should not determine a coach's ability to recruit. I think Fran should be judged after 2 or 3 full seasons of recruiting. That said, at this point I'm not all that thrilled with this year's class. That's just personal opinion though.

Wes Washpun just got an offer from Tennessee according to Jamie Johnson per his twitter account.

Wes Washpun of Cedar Rapids Washington has added an offer from the University of Tennessee. Congrats, Wes! #fb

Kind of interesting that nobody much cared about WW until he might go elsewhere. We still have a such an identity crisis. No big name school or coach and a losing record, thus seems every recruit is a struggle, even when they are 30 miles away and lifelong fans. A kid with a criminal record won't even commit.

My guess is we will still be recruiting in May. Hopefully, Fran and the staff can coach players up. Practice facility is not an excuse anymore, at least that is gone.

Latest posts