Any news on Washpun's meeting with Fran?

Judging from the interview I read it sounds like he's leaning towards Tennessee. I think he holds a bit of a grudge for recruiting his teammate and never bothering to recruit him until now. Mo State seems out of the picture for sure now that he has the TN offer.

I think we lose him to Tennessee. Did you actually read the interview? I don't know why anyone would be shocked if he goes to Tennessee. They are a school with a better recent record and a coach that has been with Wes from the start.

Odds of landing him: less than 25%.

Young Mr. Washpun is probably packing for Knoxville as I type this.

I won't blame him if he decides to go to Tennessee. He's had a relationship with Cuonzo Martin for awhile and probably feels comfortable with the prospect of playing for him.

This is frustrating because this staff has had ALL season to recruit for next year, not 2 months like last season. I understand Cartwright came in May but when you have had all year to recruit you shouldn't have to scramble to find a point guard in May AGAIN! I'm not shocked he'd choose Tennessee but Fran is really struggling with recruiting right now.

Maybe the kid was playing the PR game to secure another major offer. Perhaps he doesn't want to be viewed as a backup, backup, backup recruit that NO one else wanted. Now he is wanted.

This is frustrating because this staff has had ALL season to recruit for next year, not 2 months like last season. I understand Cartwright came in May but when you have had all year to recruit you shouldn't have to scramble to find a point guard in May AGAIN! I'm not shocked he'd choose Tennessee but Fran is really struggling with recruiting right now.

Dude, go away....or at least stop posting the same thing over and over

Fran and staff will fill the open schollies with players who will contribute next year. Book it

Dude, go away....or at least stop posting the same thing over and over

Fran and staff will fill the open schollies with players who will contribute next year. Book it

We don't need more players who "contribute"! We have a full team of those already. We need guys who can make an "impact".

It isn't May yet and the Washpun definitely thinks highly of Martin, that is more than obvious...if he isn't going to visit even if he gets an offer because he doesn't need then he really wants to play for Martin.
Also, recruiting isn't going to make or break Iowa...bad recruiting can, but that said, Fran and staff are good recruiters. They have a vision of kid they want, this has been an interesting year for recruits, there were so many 5* through 3* kids committed earlier than normal. Player development is so much more important than worrying about getting "top notch" recruits. The combination of solid recruiting and player development will get Iowa back in the top half of the BIG.
There are players out there left for Iowa, don't count out the duo of Katenda/Olaseni quite yet and Iowa is still on some PG's.

Washpun wants to go where he thinks he is wanted the most, right now he is sold on Martin, let's see if he changes his mind. It would be nice to see Iowa add Washpun/Katenda/Olaseni/White/Oglesby and agree that this bunch would give Iowa 6 -10 more wins. Look at it, adding depth at every position, it lends itself to a lot of on-court combinations and creates an ability to match-up with a lot of teams. It also continues to build for the long term, not a potential stop-gap situation that doesn't always work.

We don't need more players who "contribute"! We have a full team of those already. We need guys who can make an "impact".

So you want some top 100 players? I guess if thats what you would define is success you need to adjust your expectations because thats unrealistic

Really? Iowa has two impact players, how many does a team need? Let's face it, Iowa rarely has more than two "impact" players on their roster at a given time, except for some of the golden years.
Iowa has to have guys that can contribute and compliment Cartwright/Basabe. Gatens being healthy from day one, hopefully, will help his overall numbers. Give him one made three per game and a one more free throw and he averages 15 a game, possible? Very possible.

Iowa has to get people that can make an open shot and more players that can run the floor. The staff is focused on those types of players. White and Oglesby both can run the floor and make an open shot. Gee, how much room would Cartwright/Basabe get if that happens?

If Marble doesn't shoot 2,000 jump shots a day in the offseason, someone needs to tell him too. Marble is a kid that can create his shot, but couldn't hit one to save his life.

Player development, it takes time, especially when you can't get every talented player around the nation and Iowa has not been in that position.

Who don't have a full team of anything. The cupboard is bare beyond belief and Fran needs to get a year + under his belt to prove he can do what he does. The guy has proven over time that he can spot talent and rebuild programs. What is your ******* problem?

Judging from the interview I read it sounds like he's leaning towards Tennessee. I think he holds a bit of a grudge for recruiting his teammate and never bothering to recruit him until now. Mo State seems out of the picture for sure now that he has the TN offer.

I think we lose him to Tennessee. Did you actually read the interview? I don't know why anyone would be shocked if he goes to Tennessee. They are a school with a better recent record and a coach that has been with Wes from the start.

Odds of landing him: less than 25%.

If the kid goes to TN then he needs to be committed. I live in Nashville and there is about a .1% chance the program doesn't receive some sort of punishment for their 'indiscretions'. If WW can't figure that out on his own then he probably wouldn't pass Lit in first semester.

"That weighs in a lot," he said. "Of course as a little kid, my dream has always been to go to the NCAA tournament. So I mean, when you take a program like Tennessee that's been doing it year after year, it definitely weighs in."

Of course, logically Tennessee might not be back to the NCAA in a while but young kids don't think like that. We are sadly still a harder sell on that front. Look, I want him to come to Iowa as much as the next person. It just seems like he's pretty sold on Martin based on the interview.

The TN offer is a kick in the nuts. I know the sun still rises tomorrow and Fran's still going to make this team better but it blows if plan C falls through.

Fran is going to be persecuted no matter what he did with Washpun. If he offered him 3 months ago before Tenn. was on him, people would have freaked out. As it is he waited until another major program offered, and the same people will now say he cant recruit if he goes to Tenn.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSDj7bjAv2s&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Statler & Waldorf: Meh[/ame]

A majority of these kids don't want to be part of a rebuilding project.Sounds like Washpun isn't sold on the time it will take Iowa to get back to the tourney. Unfortunately it's the mentality of a lot of kids in society these days - want everything given to them and not have to work. I see it first hand at school. Not all but a lot want instant gratification and that goes with athletics too - want to win NOW not have to work hard and lose. I think that is what Fran is realizing now, he is getting a lot of kids that want to win NOW.

So what does the mentality of kids wanting everything given to them and not have to work have to do with Washpun? This statement baffles me. Also, what kind of person wants to work hard and lose and not win?

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, you're saying kids that go to UNC, Duke, etc don't have to work hard and want to win now. Winning is also given to them if they go to these schools. Kids that go to Iowa do have to work hard b/c they're trying to rebuild something, but they know they're going to lose.

Latest posts