Any ideas on how we attempt to prepare for Shoelace?

Here's my take ... and, mind you, the formula will NOT stop Denard and the Michigan O ... but rather, it will simply just attempt to slow it down.

STEP 0: You must tackle well. Excellent tackling is absolutely CRITICAL.

STEP 1: Whatever you do, DO NOT load the box. If you load the box, then all Denard has to do is get to the secondary in order to get a TD run.

STEP 2: DISRUPT with the DL while still controlling gaps. Furthermore, use movement by the DL to take away obvious running lanes for the QB. In other words, CONTAIN is still key. The D absolutely NEEDS to control where plays funnel to.

STEP 3a: Here we get back to STEP 0. Where the plays flow to ... defenders must SWARM to the ball, still in a disciplined fashion, so that they still control and/or fill their lane responsibilities. Then they MUST tackle well when filling the lanes!

STEP 3b: A "hidden" aspect of STEP 3a is that defenders must really beat blocks. Here we're going to see A LOT of WRs blocking well down field ... and the defenders must defeat those blocks so that they can flow to the ball correctly, execute their responsibility, and make the tackle.

STEP 3c: Another aspect here is that the D never allow for Michigan players (including Denard) to be out in "space" for very long. Part of achieving this is to converge to the ball in a disciplined fashion and to take GREAT ANGLES. This is easier said than done.

STEP 4: Tackle VERY well in the short passing game. This is a primary element of the Michigan passing game. Like many teams, they rely heavily upon yardage after the catch.

STEP 5: Michigan has pretty darn good WRs and Denard has flashed the ability to throw down the field pretty well. Thus, the safety help still need to be disciplined and make sure that stuff doesn't get behind them.

All good points.

Personally, I think the defense should treat this game as a play-the-pass kind of game. We get sufficient pressure along the LOS from our DL. Keep the rest of the defense back, to either protect against the pass, or to help corral DRob.

Tackling will be absolutely key in this game. There were several instances this last Saturday, where the defense inexplicably forgot to tackle. This Michigan offense is, if one word could describe it, fast. We miss a tackle, and the QB/WR/RB could be gone.

On the offensive side of the ball, we need to just grind it out, and tire out that defense. I think we have the ability to move the ball and score on this defense, so we should take advantage of it every chance we get. I would normally say that we need to keep DRob off the field as much as possible, but as the Michigan-Indiana game showed, that offense doesn't need to be on the field all that long to score. Can they do that again against us? Probably not, but why risk it?

This is going to be a tricky game. Containing and slowing down that Michigan offense is going to be the key to winning this game. Last year we did fine against Forcier, but couldn't figure out how to contain the Michigan run game. When Robinson came in, he seemed to run all around us, and we were really saved by his inability to throw.

I might be mistaken... but didn't we see some of Denard last season towards the end of the game?

Personally, I think the defense should treat this game as a play-the-pass kind of game. We get sufficient pressure along the LOS from our DL. Keep the rest of the defense back, to either protect against the pass, or to help corral DRob.

Tackling will be absolutely key in this game. There were several instances this last Saturday, where the defense inexplicably forgot to tackle. This Michigan offense is, if one word could describe it, fast. We miss a tackle, and the QB/WR/RB could be gone.

Yeah. I think that Iowa plays it basically with 6 guys in the box ... possibly with an extra guy playing back as a spy on Denard. In many respects, playing a similar game-plan to what we tried to do last year. The objective obviously being to completely take away the big play threat. That led to Wolverines moving the ball one us pretty well ... however, they also had to EARN all of their points (with the exception of the points that Stanzi "gifted" to them).

Anyhow, the philosophy there is that you prevent the big play ... and then you figure that the DL will be disruptive enough to force enough short gains that you can AT LEAST stall a few drives.

One of the issues that I think hurt the Hawks last year against the Wolverines as simply that our DL just wasn't as good against the run back then. Our guys on the DL were getting blocked pretty well by the Michigan OL ... and, as a result, our DL weren't able to get in on quite as many tackles as they're necessarily accustomed.

Fortunately, while the Michigan OL is still pretty good ... I really think that Iowa's run D is A LOT better ... and that is largely because the Iowa DL is much better at executing against the run.

One of my bigger concerns is that our CBs will cheat against the run ... and then get burnt in pass D. After all, our CB play will be CRITICAL when playing against the run ... however, Denard has proven to be a capable enough of a passer to hurt you. Furthermore, guys like Roundtree, Odoms, and Hemmingway are all REALLY GOOD.

The best way for our team to control DR is via our own offensive execution. The bottom line is that DR can't score if he doesn't have the ball. If we can get our running game going against their porous defense and control the clock, then we control DR.

We have an awesome defense.....maybe the best in the nation. But given enough opportunities, even our defense can be taken advantage of by a guy like DR. Therefore, limiting his opportunities will be the biggest key of the whole game. Not only that, but taking advantage of ours. We can't have the ball for a 6 minute drive and only get a field goal and then turn around and see Michigan score a TD in like 1:30.

Therefore, if we can having something like a 36:00 to 24:00 advantage or something approaching that and we are turning drives into touchdowns, then I really like our chances.

I might be mistaken... but didn't we see some of Denard last season towards the end of the game?

Yeah, he drove them down the field in like 5 mins for a TD, after that he spazed out and threw a game ending INT. This year he's more of a solo threat as apposed to also having a competent running back to pitch the ball to.

They should have the two fastest scout team guys stand in as Robinson. Make it 12 against 11 because that's how it might feel when they play Michigan. The problem with Michigan's offense is that they have quite a few run/pass option plays. He looks like he's going to run and then pops the quick slant. Have both guys in the backfield side-by-side. Have both of them holding the ball and just simulate the snap. Make the defense practice defending the pass and run on the same play. One guy runs it while the other is the thrower. I think that having to defend more than 11 guys on offense is the only way to simulate Robinson. Maybe not two guys simulating Robinson, but make them defend more than 11. This would be similar to the basketball drill when you have to defend 6 with 5 and your help side defense is critical.

Whover talked about "playing to defend the pass" is kind of what I was thinking. In fact, I wondered, given our excellent DL, if we shouldn't be primarily in Nickel or even Dime when DR has the ball. I don't know a ton about football schemes, but I would want fleeter feet in the defensive backfield since so much of what he does seems to be read option on the outer edges of the D. If UM's RBs aren't a big threat, which I'm told they aren't, I would think the extra DBacks would be helpful.

He is a unique player; the old "we line up and do what we do see if you can beat us" mantra is probably not wise, here: there are exceptions to every rule.

[Drive him into the dirt....over and over

Bring in timmy D to play Shoelace[/QUOTE]

I agree with this....he will slow up as he has to run his eyes around the field to locate the next hawkeye that wants to hurt him. We will be something different then he has seen before. At least I can hope we will be!

Yeah, he drove them down the field in like 5 mins for a TD, after that he spazed out and threw a game ending INT. This year he's more of a solo threat as apposed to also having a competent running back to pitch the ball to.

Ahh... I remember now. He definitely seemed more effective than Forcier. I thought our defense looked a little too relaxed on that drive, if I am remembering correctly.

However, I'm not too worried. I am confident Iowa is the better team. It will be interesting though.

GO HAWKS!

Whover talked about "playing to defend the pass" is kind of what I was thinking. In fact, I wondered, given our excellent DL, if we shouldn't be primarily in Nickel or even Dime when DR has the ball. I don't know a ton about football schemes, but I would want fleeter feet in the defensive backfield since so much of what he does seems to be read option on the outer edges of the D. If UM's RBs aren't a big threat, which I'm told they aren't, I would think the extra DBacks would be helpful.

He is a unique player; the old "we line up and do what we do see if you can beat us" mantra is probably not wise, here: there are exceptions to every rule.

Sash will be key in this game, IMO, we must force the plays inside so he has to make a quick decision to run vs throw. I'm not totally convinced he can beat a disciplined team throwing the ball. we can't come up too quick which is why feeding him to linebackers will be crucial.

Yeah. I think that Iowa plays it basically with 6 guys in the box ... possibly with an extra guy playing back as a spy on Denard. In many respects, playing a similar game-plan to what we tried to do last year. The objective obviously being to completely take away the big play threat. That led to Wolverines moving the ball one us pretty well ... however, they also had to EARN all of their points (with the exception of the points that Stanzi "gifted" to them).

Anyhow, the philosophy there is that you prevent the big play ... and then you figure that the DL will be disruptive enough to force enough short gains that you can AT LEAST stall a few drives.

One of the issues that I think hurt the Hawks last year against the Wolverines as simply that our DL just wasn't as good against the run back then. Our guys on the DL were getting blocked pretty well by the Michigan OL ... and, as a result, our DL weren't able to get in on quite as many tackles as they're necessarily accustomed.

Fortunately, while the Michigan OL is still pretty good ... I really think that Iowa's run D is A LOT better ... and that is largely because the Iowa DL is much better at executing against the run.

One of my bigger concerns is that our CBs will cheat against the run ... and then get burnt in pass D. After all, our CB play will be CRITICAL when playing against the run ... however, Denard has proven to be a capable enough of a passer to hurt you. Furthermore, guys like Roundtree, Odoms, and Hemmingway are all REALLY GOOD.

Who, in your opinion, do we use as a spy? If we use a linebacker, I feel like Nielsen is best suited for the job. Or do you think maybe we use Sash? Texas did that against Reggie Bush with Michael Huff in the 2005 Rose Bowl. The only problem is that both Sash and Nielsen are the best cover guys in their respective units.

Look at last year's game. He came in for a couple of series. Yes he drove down the field, but he wasn't able to break out the 50 yard runs. So I think the D did well to "kinda" contain him. This year he's better, but our line is better and we'll have a lot more game film on him.

He had a guy wide open underneath but missed him.

It's a good thing too, because all they had to do was get into FG range and they win 31-30.

He had time to keep moving the team downfield but for whatever reason chose to try to house it and it cost him.

scUM was definitely a different/better team the last quarter with D-Tard playing versus Forcier.

Another thing: It seems when the question becomes "Can Iowa's D stop this guy/team that's a TD machine?" Iowa ends up dominating, or at least severely slowing down.

Step one, take opening kickoff and proceed to score a TD on along, KOK, boring, clock killing drive.
Step two, pound shoelaces into ground and get the ball back.
Step three, repeat steps one and two.

Look at last year's game. He came in for a couple of series. Yes he drove down the field, but he wasn't able to break out the 50 yard runs. So I think the D did well to "kinda" contain him. This year he's better, but our line is better and we'll have a lot more game film on him.

One has to think that his ability to pass, or severe lack thereof, contributed to his inability to break the long one. And while our DL is better, I'd feel much more confident with Edds, Angerer, and Spievey. Spievey would make it easier to use Sash as a spy, because Amari could shut down half the field. Our LB unit just isn't as good as a year ago. The group we have now is good, but the group last year was beyond that.

Now that he is a legitimate passing threat, we can't sell out to stop the run. And even he doesn't have to break the BIG one. Picking up yards in 7-10 yard chunks, whether rushing or passing, can still score points. Their defense would have to step up in a big way if that happens, though.

Lets see how MSU does against DRob, then we'll know what to do or not to do.
My prediction MSU 36 Michigan 28.
DRob gets hurt in the 3rd qtr doesn't return...but is ok for Iowa.

His line from last season's game:
Rushing: 9 att, 49 yards, 1 TD. Passing: 3-4, 30 yards, 1 INT.

Just watched the TD drive he put together at Kinnick in 09. the DEs will be key, as they were in that game, to containing DR. When they do not over-pursue and force him inside, the LBs were able to finish him off if they stay in position. On the TD play, LB overpursued the HB - there was no fake to the back, he was a blocking back, leaving the hole DR was to hit open.

Stopping a player like Denard takes discipline on defense - why it's good this is the off week.

If Clayborn can get some good licks in - aka Forcier - that would slow Robinson down a bit.

Of course, this is all predicated on Robinson not coming up lame after the MSU game. That should be a fun game to watch - MSU will be jacked up like never before, and they are (IMO) the best team and best defense Michigan will have faced up to now this season.

Sorry, but have not read the posts yet so sorry if this has been mentioned. But, Iowa needs to take away his run. The only way Michigan will beat you is if you let him get the yrds on the ground, or at least give you team the best chance to win.

So, what a team does if have two spies, & in particular the two outside LB's & have them only concentrate on DR & take away his runs. This is a gimmick offense that will only work with the QB getting rushing yrds. The two outside LB's will be the most mobile. Have them at least take away the outside & push DR to the middle of the field on runs. Then the d-backs can come up & help when needed. It is key to keep him in the middle of the field.

You take the chances with his arm. If he can beat you with his arm, then so-be-it, but, you have to take away one of his game-changing attributes. THE RUN!

You know he's going to run 55% of the time, so do not blitz & make sure your D ends solidify the outside & push him to the middle so the LB's can tackle him. It's important to not have Binns & Clayborn up field where DR can get behind or around them.

It comes down to assignments & covering areas which Iowa does really well.

Latest posts