Any ideas on how we attempt to prepare for Shoelace?

I believe that they will use this easy, 2-step process:

1) Have AC approach him before the game and tell him (slowly, in a heavy Russian accent) "I must break you". Bonus points are awarded for "crazy eyes".

2) Act like we are surprised when DR is suddenly "not feeling well" just before kickoff.

MSU is an excellent game for us because they are just violent when they play, It should be interesting to see what they cook up, my guess is that they will spy him most of the game and try to make him throw. Instead of stopping drob teams have tried to out gun michigan due to their junior high defense, I think if we can slow them down, force a couple of punts Ricky can absolutely destroy their secondary with mcnutt and DJK for a huge game.

You have to stay in position against guys like Robinson. You can't overpursue or he'll torch you.

But the best way to limit him is to pound the living hell out of him. Just abuse him. He hasn't faced brutality that he's going to face against Iowa.

I feel better having the extra week, but I'm not worry-free about Robinson. I didn't get to see him when he played, but Robinson is what I kind of imagine that Antwan Randel El was like at Indiana, only faster. And Randel El gave us fits, no?

He did, but caliber of defense on those Iowa teams was nowhere near what it is now.

MSU is an excellent game for us because they are just violent when they play, It should be interesting to see what they cook up, my guess is that they will spy him most of the game and try to make him throw. Instead of stopping drob teams have tried to out gun michigan due to their junior high defense, I think if we can slow them down, force a couple of punts Ricky can absolutely destroy their secondary with mcnutt and DJK for a huge game.

I think this is one of the reasons why KF/KOK went all Rush Limbaugh in the second half last week. No need to show much of their hand.

Here's my take ... and, mind you, the formula will NOT stop Denard and the Michigan O ... but rather, it will simply just attempt to slow it down.

STEP 0: You must tackle well. Excellent tackling is absolutely CRITICAL.

STEP 1: Whatever you do, DO NOT load the box. If you load the box, then all Denard has to do is get to the secondary in order to get a TD run.

STEP 2: DISRUPT with the DL while still controlling gaps. Furthermore, use movement by the DL to take away obvious running lanes for the QB. In other words, CONTAIN is still key. The D absolutely NEEDS to control where plays funnel to.

STEP 3a: Here we get back to STEP 0. Where the plays flow to ... defenders must SWARM to the ball, still in a disciplined fashion, so that they still control and/or fill their lane responsibilities. Then they MUST tackle well when filling the lanes!

STEP 3b: A "hidden" aspect of STEP 3a is that defenders must really beat blocks. Here we're going to see A LOT of WRs blocking well down field ... and the defenders must defeat those blocks so that they can flow to the ball correctly, execute their responsibility, and make the tackle.

STEP 3c: Another aspect here is that the D never allow for Michigan players (including Denard) to be out in "space" for very long. Part of achieving this is to converge to the ball in a disciplined fashion and to take GREAT ANGLES. This is easier said than done.

STEP 4: Tackle VERY well in the short passing game. This is a primary element of the Michigan passing game. Like many teams, they rely heavily upon yardage after the catch.

STEP 5: Michigan has pretty darn good WRs and Denard has flashed the ability to throw down the field pretty well. Thus, the safety help still need to be disciplined and make sure that stuff doesn't get behind them.

Denard ran a 4.26 before the All-American game. That is fast...but in football terms he is within a tenth of a second of some guys we have played. It only matters on break away runs...I don't forsee too many of those against our defense.

He did, but caliber of defense on those Iowa teams was nowhere near what it is now.

Exactly, much better athletes on the team now as compared to then. We won't have to stop them every time just get a few punts or hold them to 3. With that defense we should be able to put up enough points to win.

That's very true. Still, I don't really remember seeing a QB on the level of Randel El or D-Rob since Randel El went pro. A lot will depend on this week. If MSU can contain him, I'll feel very confident. But I'm guessing that Jones will be used as a spy for much of the game (that's a matchup that almost makes up for their being no Iowa game for me. Should be VERY entertaining.)

If MSU does use Jones like that, and D-Rob still goes nuts, I'll be very worried, because we don't have any LB's of Jones' calibur, or speed.

I would suit up and play on the scout team and could easily emulate Denard's speed and moves, but unfortunately, I hurt my shoulder my senior year, so without the ability to throw the rock across my body 40 yards on a line like I used to be able to do, I don't think I would be a good choice.

I was going to say you.....

I'd play our base 4-3 cover 2. Try to keep him in the pocket so he has to throw over his lineman and he won't be able to see that well (he's short). Then have our tackles try to tackle him if he darts up the middle. Spy with Hunter on him.

Try to take away the quick slants and force him to throw the ball where our cover 2 is most weak, the deep middle. He'll make some of these throws but he'll have to place the ball accurately and that's where we generate a lot of our INT's. If we keep him in the pocket we might be able to bat a few balls down as well.

Iowa linebackers will need to be on top of their game. I hope Tarp and Johnson are fully recovered in 13 days. Nielson and Hunter will be tested. Linebacker pursuit without getting sucked into the DR jukes will be a key.

GlidingHawk

You have to stay in position against guys like Robinson. You can't overpursue or he'll torch you.

But the best way to limit him is to pound the living hell out of him. Just abuse him. He hasn't faced brutality that he's going to face against Iowa.

This is the correct answer. If we play assignment football and gang tackle, we'll be fine.

If DR sprains an ankle, knee, hamstring, and throwing arm against Sparty, that would help.

All kidding aside, Robinson appears to be a pretty tough kid and he can take some hits. But I'd love to see Iowa nail him a couple times with such energy and force as to make him cough up the ball.

GlidingHawk

Perhaps instead of film sessions we should just show our dfense this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuvyIypcyk]YouTube - techmo bowl ownage[/ame]

Latest posts