Any idea who is the guy committing on Monday?

Do you think Perry Jones is going to go to college for three years when he knows he can play professionally right now? If the NCAA forces them to stay in college, then tons of HS stars will go overseas. That situation harms both the NCAA and the NBA.

The 1-and-done guys aren't doing a thing for the NCAA except for making a mockery of the idea of student-athletes. For every Kevin Durant who electrifies crowds and helps get strong TV ratings there are 5 (or maybe even 10) guys like Perry Jones, who aren't particularly compelling from a fan's perspective, don't do much for the schools they sign with, and obviously have zero interest in being a student.

From the NBA's perspective, I realize one example doesn't mean much, but I think Brandon Jennings shows that you can tell just as much if not more about a prospect from playing in Europe than you can from them playing in the NCAA. Barring a rule change, I wish more guys would have the stones to do what Jennings did. It works better for everyone involved (NCAA, NBA, and the athlete himself). I completely fail to see how the NCAA is worse off if Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, or even Harrison Barnes is playing in the Spanish league right now. Who cares? People watch NCAA basketball because of the schools and the tourney. The specific players themselves are not really relevant.

Last edited:
The 1-and-done guys aren't doing a thing for the NCAA except for making a mockery of the idea of student-athletes. For every Kevin Durant who electrifies crowds and helps get strong TV ratings there are 5 (or maybe even 10) guys like Perry Jones, who aren't particularly compelling from a fan's perspective, don't do much for the schools they sign with, and obviously have zero interest in being a student.

From the NBA's perspective, I realize one example doesn't mean much, but I think Brandon Jennings shows that you can tell just as much if not more about a prospect from playing in Europe than you can from them playing in the NCAA. Barring a rule change, I wish more guys would have the stones to do what Jennings did. It works better for everyone involved (NCAA, NBA, and the athlete himself). I completely fail to see how the NCAA is worse off if Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, or even Harrison Barnes is playing in the Spanish league right now. Who cares? People watch NCAA basketball because of the schools and the tourney. The specific players themselves are not really relevant.

For one, the NCAA is not worried about making a mockery of student athletics. They already have, and everyone knows it. Trying to preserve the integrity of student athletics is like trying to preserve the wolly mammoth; You can't save what's already dead.

For the NBA, they may get a better evaluation of talent (and more progressive development) if their players go to Europe, but they also lose the free hype machine. You mentioned in your previous post about players not selling season tickets...well a guy who played at Maccabi Tel-Aviv is going to generate a lot less interest that a guy who played at Baylor.
The NBA flat out exploits the NCAA for the association's own benefit, and they are not going to stop doing it any time soon.

For one, the NCAA is not worried about making a mockery of student athletics. They already have, and everyone knows it. Trying to preserve the integrity of student athletics is like trying to preserve the wolly mammoth; You can't save what's already dead.

For the NBA, they may get a better evaluation of talent (and more progressive development) if their players go to Europe, but they also lose the free hype machine. You mentioned in your previous post about players not selling season tickets...well a guy who played at Maccabi Tel-Aviv is going to generate a lot less interest that a guy who played at Baylor.
The NBA flat out exploits the NCAA for the association's own benefit, and they are not going to stop doing it any time soon.

OK, so this is probably a separate thread, but both generate zero interest. Believe me, I'm a T-wolves fan, and when I look at the draft board I see absolutely no one who gives me any confidence that they can be an immediate impact or would even be fun to watch. In years past, at least you could say, "well, if we win the lottery than we can take Blake Griffin/Derrick Rose/John Wall etc., and if nothing else they'll be entertaining." Name a single guy from this year's crop of 1-and-dones that has anything close to their profile. Maybe Harrison Barnes if he explodes in the tourney. Maybe. If the NCAA is a hype machine, who are they hyping this year? Steve Lavin's hair gel?

I think Fran and staff need to abandon their recruiting efforts and instead just tune into the hawkeyenation.com basketball forum to find out who is and who is not worthy of donning an Iowa uniform ...

The NCAA has nothing to say about the new CBA rules on players entering the draft.
And the NBA players are not pleased with having children being drafted on their teams and getting big dollars. And Stern also is not pleased with the current setup.

As we have seen with the young man from Sand Diego who opted to go to Israel to play this season rather than finish high school...going overseas is not a slam dunk for young kids. It worked for Jennings,and the NBA is probably pleased with the outcome.
They know that the NBA is still the best bb league on the planet and ultimately every player wants to get there. So they can wait for players who opt for Europe.

It would force the players and parents to make a tough call if the player is not a slam dunk top ten draft pick. Leon Smith of Chicago came out,was the last pick in the 1st round,and is now not in the NBA or even playing ball...like a lot of guys who have opted straight into the draft from HS in those days. Big gamble.

There are maybe 4-6 HS players that could seriously look at it in most years...tops.
The rest would go into college for three years and be a polished player who can help a team or hook up in Europe to play,or get their degree and have a good life.

This will happen, or some form of it,anyway. Everyone agrees,but a handful of agents.

OK, so this is probably a separate thread, but both generate zero interest. Believe me, I'm a T-wolves fan, and when I look at the draft board I see absolutely no one who gives me any confidence that they can be an immediate impact or would even be fun to watch. In years past, at least you could say, "well, if we win the lottery than we can take Blake Griffin/Derrick Rose/John Wall etc., and if nothing else they'll be entertaining." Name a single guy from this year's crop of 1-and-dones that has anything close to their profile. Maybe Harrison Barnes if he explodes in the tourney. Maybe. If the NCAA is a hype machine, who are they hyping this year? Steve Lavin's hair gel?

Yes, this is worthy of another thread... but you have got quite a few players coming into the league that may develop into an immediate impact from Barnes, Sullinger, Jones, Knight, Williams, etc.

Now Griffin, Rose, and Wall are all proven... but we weren't so confident with Griffin at the time. I don't know who the T' Wolves should pick, but I am certain more than one player from this draft will force an immediate impact. I would be happy with any of the 5 listed above.

I think Fran has proven a couple of things to us.
#1. He can evaluate talent. Basabe, Cartwright, Fredette (not at Iowa but was correct)
#2. He can coach big guys or someone on his staff can (Bowen). Brommer looked like a different player. Basabe is playing well and Devon Archie never even saw the court until now.
I will definately be going to some Iowa basketball games, in 2011.

I think Fran has proven a couple of things to us.
#1. He can evaluate talent. Basabe, Cartwright, Fredette (not at Iowa but was correct)
#2. He can coach big guys or someone on his staff can (Bowen). Brommer looked like a different player. Basabe is playing well and Devon Archie never even saw the court until now.
I will definately be going to some Iowa basketball games, in 2011.

I agree with your general thought, except for your statement about Archie. He never saw the court because his one year at Iowa, prior to this year, he was a redshirt because of injury. It had nothing to do with ability.

The NCAA has nothing to say about the new CBA rules on players entering the draft.
And the NBA players are not pleased with having children being drafted on their teams and getting big dollars. And Stern also is not pleased with the current setup.

As we have seen with the young man from Sand Diego who opted to go to Israel to play this season rather than finish high school...going overseas is not a slam dunk for young kids. It worked for Jennings,and the NBA is probably pleased with the outcome.
They know that the NBA is still the best bb league on the planet and ultimately every player wants to get there. So they can wait for players who opt for Europe.

It would force the players and parents to make a tough call if the player is not a slam dunk top ten draft pick. Leon Smith of Chicago came out,was the last pick in the 1st round,and is now not in the NBA or even playing ball...like a lot of guys who have opted straight into the draft from HS in those days. Big gamble.

There are maybe 4-6 HS players that could seriously look at it in most years...tops.
The rest would go into college for three years and be a polished player who can help a team or hook up in Europe to play,or get their degree and have a good life.

This will happen, or some form of it,anyway. Everyone agrees,but a handful of agents.

This is not true at all. The NBA has far and away the best rookie pay scale. You never see NBA rookies hold out and their second contract is where they get paid, which is how it should be.

So I have concluded since texas looked at Basabe and didn't offer just like Kyle Meyer, Meyer is going to have a crazy freshman year too! BAM!!

I really like this pick up...watched some tape and read some evals...I think we may be getting a pretty solid addition...and the best part is...for the first time in a while...we don't need a freshman to step up and be option 1A or 1B.

This is not true at all. The NBA has far and away the best rookie pay scale. You never see NBA rookies hold out and their second contract is where they get paid, which is how it should be.

It is not so much the money they get,altho the 1st rounders are guaranteed more money than the minimum...ie over 1 million/yr for the last pick in the draft,but it is these teenagers sitting on benches and taking jobs from vets....and not being ready for the league yet.

Has an official committment happened yet? I keep checking the boards and don't see any news.

EDIT: Is there a live online stream of his press conference at 3? If so, link please?

Last edited:
And the NBA players are not pleased with having children being drafted on their teams and getting big dollars.

The NBA has a rookie wage scale and they actually don't get paid that much. You need to get to your second contract as an NBA player.

The NBA has a rookie wage scale and they actually don't get paid that much. You need to get to your second contract as an NBA player.

It is all relative,I guess. A player like James Johnson,formerly of the bulls, is a late first round 2nd year guy on his rookie contract,and is making 1.713 million this year,and was guaranteed over 5 million on his 3 year deal. He has played virtually no minutes in his two years. Meanwhile,old vet Kurt Thomas has stepped in and started over 30 games this year when Noah went down and played very well, and is earning 1.3 million with no guarantee of anything next year.

It is no as skewed as the NFL,clearly,but still some NBA vets do not appreciate these futures picks sitting around with 5 million plus