Anunoby

Not sure Anunoby was a big loss. Maybe someone who has seen him knows if he looks like a future All Big Ten player. I think we can get a good JUCO player or transfer later if needed. Having a good season this year will help.
Is it starting to get concerning that we can't close on targets that have us in their top schools? yes. Has Fran shown he can out coach the other coaches in the league during games? no. If you can't lock up top tier talent and also have been outcoached by all the premier coaches in the league then it will be hard to get over the mediocre hump. I like Fran and his work ethic a lot, just hope one of the two aspects of being a Div. 1 Coach (recruiting and in game coaching) makes big strides soon or I'm afraid we'll be middle of the pack for a long time.

Not surprised he selected Indiana. Hard to compete when some of the storied programs come knocking. I know recruiting is difficult and you are only going to land a very small percentage of the actual players you recruit. That being said, I would have hoped by now we would start getting some of these kids and not lose them to the Creighton's or New Mexicos, etc. This is year #5 ... we need to continue to see improvement in the program ... Last year's fizzle sort of dampened a lot of excitement around the program.

The lack of good in state talent the last couple years hasn't helped recruiting I guess either. Just an observation.

The lack of good in state talent the last couple years hasn't helped recruiting I guess either. Just an observation.

True, but trying to survive in Iowa by waiting for great in-state talent is a fools errand. Fran does need to shift gears. This will mean doing a deal with the devil and bringing in an assistant that can guarantee players or expanding the recruiting reach, i.e., Euro etc.

in any event, it is time to admit what he is currently doing isn't working.

I've said it before, he needs to tell his assistants that last place in recruiting gets you relegated and at the same time be looking for a closer.

Not surprised he selected Indiana. Hard to compete when some of the storied programs come knocking. I know recruiting is difficult and you are only going to land a very small percentage of the actual players you recruit. That being said, I would have hoped by now we would start getting some of these kids and not lose them to the Creighton's or New Mexicos, etc. This is year #5 ... we need to continue to see improvement in the program ... Last year's fizzle sort of dampened a lot of excitement around the program.

Agreed. If you have Indiana, Kentucky, etc. offering, that's one thing. But when it's between us and the other schools you mentioned that aren't quite what I would call blue bloods (good programs, yes, but hardly "elite"), then I would expect to come out on top in at least SOME of those recruiting battles. You aren't going to win them all, but this staff's recruiting is start to reminder me of Javier Baez with the Cubs - lots of whiffs.

You're right, but that's why you have to be able to get some decent talent from across state lines. If all you are getting from out of state is mid-major talent, then you're probably doing well just to be a fringe NCAA bubble team.

Fran's done a great job resurrecting this program so far, but "fringe bubble" is about what this program is right now, and I think the jury is still very much out on whether it can be much more than that. Time will tell, I guess.

You're right, but that's why you have to be able to get some decent talent from across state lines. If all you are getting from out of state is mid-major talent, then you're probably doing well just to be a fringe NCAA bubble team.

Fran's done a great job resurrecting this program so far, but "fringe bubble" is about what this program is right now, and I think the jury is still very much out on whether it can be much more than that. Time will tell, I guess.

Agreed, just was a general observation. See my other post for my thoughts on where we are right now. It would be easier to recruit probably if we had a few in state guys to help get us rolling. Hard to convince out of staters to come to a program that hasn't had much success. Probably most disappointed we haven't been able to grab a stud or two from Chicago. We desperately need to have a good year this year and get into the tourney easily to attract a couple good players.

Agreed, just was a general observation. See my other post for my thoughts on where we are right now. It would be easier to recruit probably if we had a few in state guys to help get us rolling. Hard to convince out of staters to come to a program that hasn't had much success. Probably most disappointed we haven't been able to grab a stud or two from Chicago. We desperately need to have a good year this year and get into the tourney easily to attract a couple good players.

I think there was to much Uthoff, Uhl, Wagner, Hutton, and Fleming for Anunoby. Iowa will find a couple of quality recruits. I'm sure Anunoby has seen film on all the guys listed, including Wagner in football clips.

Iowa was one of the worst teams in the nation before he got here. Basketball is easier to turn around faster than football but you still need some time to bring in your players and build up the program. The program is way above where it was when Fran took the job. Give it time

Iowa was one of the worst teams in the nation before he got here. Basketball is easier to turn around faster than football but you still need some time to bring in your players and build up the program. The program is way above where it was when Fran took the job. Give it time

Yep you are right. I have appreciated the work he's done so far as have most and won't be real critical. However, it is time to start locking up some of these misses and improve the in game coaching.

I think Hutton, Fleming and Wagner is a nice core to start with for 2015, just don't have that ace recruit that makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy.

This is a program that is still building and has hardly arrived yet to just start landing every kid they target. Those three above are all nice pieces (from out of state) that Fran did get and are all still climbing ESPN's crooting ranks.

We have yet to see the full potential of Fran's best class, which will be on the court the next 2 seasons as Juniors and Seniors.

If the Hawks can find a way to make the tourney again this season, he will start to win some more of these battles, and the program might be better off having the open spots in the long run.

just meh opinion.

Put that era behind you already

Lol, if you can't laugh about the past it will haunt you forever. I was also using it as a comparison to players "wanting to play for Fran"

Do you go around to all the shops around Kinnick and tell them to quit selling Hayden Fry gear, and put that era behind them already? ;)

For the 2013, 2014 and 2015 classes, right now on 247 Team ratings, Iowa was 12th or 11th in the Big Ten in all three years. If things do not change, we could have some talent disparity in the Big Ten going against the Hawkeyes. You simply cannot be at the bottom of recruiting in your league for 4+ years and be a serious contender at some point down the road....we might be ok until our 2012 class graduates, but by then it might be too late to catch up to the rest of the league.

I’m curious to see if the development of Marble was an anomaly or becomes a trend under Fran. If its the latter, I’m not as concerned about recruiting.

Its pretty amazing the coaches can get Iowa ranked in the preseason without any recruiting success. The guys they have committed look good to me. The Iowa coaching staff will find a couple of more quality guys. I feel pretty confident that the staff won't hand out a scholarship unless they think the recruit has the potential to bring something special to the team. I'd rather Iowa hang on to a scholarship or two than to bring in a couple of filler recruits. The college basketball recruiting world has changed dramatically than what it was six or seven years ago. You never know what tomorrow will bring in recruiting opportunities.

Its pretty amazing the coaches can get Iowa ranked in the preseason without any recruiting success. The guys they have committed look good to me. The Iowa coaching staff will find a couple of more quality guys. I feel pretty confident that the staff won't hand out a scholarship unless they think the recruit has the potential to bring something special to the team. I'd rather Iowa hang on to a scholarship or two than to bring in a couple of filler recruits. The college basketball recruiting world has changed dramatically than what it was six or seven years ago. You never know what tomorrow will bring in recruiting opportunities.

I know what you are saying here, but I would say that our ranking is a reflection of our good classes in 2011 and 2012, with those recruits now juniors and seniors....we should get by until that junior class is done...this season and next, but what then? Unless we pick it up, then we will have 4 classes on the team , all of which were at the bottom of the league in class ranks....now, that can change, and clearly, Pemsl is a quality recruit for 2016, so maybe we hit the mother lode in that year, and then in 2017 young McCaff immediately helps.

I agree with you about not reaching. And that it is a more varied recruiting landscape than ever with all the transfers and late signers.... wish we had landed a transfer last spring, who sits this year, and then ready to step in next year tho.

I know I come off as a curmudgeon on recruiting, but it is because I love the Hawkeyes and do not want them to slide downward after Woody is gone....we have some nice role player recruits it seems, but we need at least one stud, who will be a NBA player to compete vs the Michigans, IU's and OSUs who have mutlitple future NBA prospects on their rosters.

I know what you are saying here, but I would say that our ranking is a reflection of our good classes in 2011 and 2012, with those recruits now juniors and seniors....we should get by until that junior class is done...this season and next, but what then? Unless we pick it up, then we will have 4 classes on the team , all of which were at the bottom of the league in class ranks....now, that can change, and clearly, Pemsl is a quality recruit for 2016, so maybe we hit the mother lode in that year, and then in 2017 young McCaff immediately helps.

I agree with you about not reaching. And that it is a more varied recruiting landscape than ever with all the transfers and late signers.... wish we had landed a transfer last spring, who sits this year, and then ready to step in next year tho.

I know I come off as a curmudgeon on recruiting, but it is because I love the Hawkeyes and do not want them to slide downward after Woody is gone....we have some nice role player recruits it seems, but we need at least one stud, who will be a NBA player to compete vs the Michigans, IU's and OSUs who have mutlitple future NBA prospects on their rosters.

I wish Iowa would of signed an interior player in the spring last year too. I would rather have a great athletic recruit with a high ceiling, than a guy that might be a solid player basketball wise, but is lacking the athletic ability to really develop. Hutton, Fleming, and Wagner all have size and athletic ability. Iowa will be a lot more athletic in the future.

I don't have a problem with the way Fran's building Iowa. It's not as fast or as high as I hoped it would be but as long as it improves each year I'm good. If we were going back and forth I'd have a problem.

Lol, if you can't laugh about the past it will haunt you forever. I was also using it as a comparison to players "wanting to play for Fran"

Do you go around to all the shops around Kinnick and tell them to quit selling Hayden Fry gear, and put that era behind them already? ;)

Your comparison can't even hold water...Considering Hayden Fry helped develop the tiger hawk logo there will always be gear tied to HF.

Latest posts