"Another Year With GD's Playbook = Improvement?"

In my opinion the TE's were greatly under used this year. The O-line was really good at run blocking, it was built to run block and they did it well, really well.

As for the WR's not beating people on the single coverage, Iowa has never had that. McNutt and DJK made plays out of nothing. RB's not making guys miss, that again has never been something Iowa has had since what Freddie Russell. Garmon might have grown into that but he wasn't going to do the between the tackles stuff that Iowa has to have if KF is head coach.

Manipulating the offense into making the safe play, yes that is what they did to Iowa all year long with the passing game.

I think the offense will be better next year, it is how much better is the question.

Here is what it will depend on:
1. Keeping RB/OL healthy
2. Keep it simple for the QB and utilize the TE's

Brian Ferentz came from NE, Iowa has three pretty good TE's with CJ being a clone of Jason Witten. The one thing that I think Iowa has done a poor job the last five years or so is styling the offense to the talent they have.

I still question weather KF trusts his coaches, it seems that since Drew Tate left things have become so ultra-conservative.

Here is what it will depend on:
1. Keeping RB/OL healthy
2. Keep it simple for the QB and utilize the TE's

Brian Ferentz came from NE, Iowa has three pretty good TE's with CJ being a clone of Jason Witten. The one thing that I think Iowa has done a poor job the last five years or so is styling the offense to the talent they have.

I still question weather KF trusts his coaches, it seems that since Drew Tate left things have become so ultra-conservative.

Wasn't that supposed to be GD's specialty? Maybe he needed a warm up year or something, I don't know.

Wasn't that supposed to be GD's specialty? Maybe he needed a warm up year or something, I don't know.

Lets be honest though, I don't really feel like there was a ton to work with to begin with. Maybe I am wrong, but JVB regressed and I guess if you want to blame that on GD or the new offense that is fair, but Iowa has issues being able to make plays in space too.

The one thing I find funny is people talk about 3 and 5 and Iowa players running a 4-yd pattern, that said, just about every offense does in today's world.

Lets be honest though, I don't really feel like there was a ton to work with to begin with. Maybe I am wrong, but JVB regressed and I guess if you want to blame that on GD or the new offense that is fair, but Iowa has issues being able to make plays in space too.

The one thing I find funny is people talk about 3 and 5 and Iowa players running a 4-yd pattern, that said, just about every offense does in today's world.

Agreed, he didn't have a ton to work with, that is an understatement. He had to show up and just say "Oh crap, what did I get myself into".

JVB regressed under GD, much like Drew Tate and Stanzi did under KOK.

The point of the routes for the WRs were to create separation, that never happened but like you said, GD didn't have much to work with. Don Shumpert had some shake but he dropped too many. Keenan could do it sometimes, not often enough though. TE's were supposed to run to the first down but didn't.

Agreed, he didn't have a ton to work with, that is an understatement. He had to show up and just say "Oh crap, what did I get myself into".

JVB regressed under GD, much like Drew Tate and Stanzi did under KOK.

The point of the routes for the WRs were to create separation, that never happened but like you said, GD didn't have much to work with. Don Shumpert had some shake but he dropped too many. Keenan could do it sometimes, not often enough though. TE's were supposed to run to the first down but didn't.

Texas didn't utilize a FB that often under Davis, but they went 3-wide a lot. Iowa doesn't have that roster, play 2-WR and 2-TE as TE was by far away their strength on the offensive side.

I guess my thinking is that the RB seemed to have to make a guy miss 2-4 yds deep about every play, at least spread the field out a little bit and the RB will have a clear view where that guy is coming from...;)

GD came on late in the game and I think that hurt in recruiting a bit as well. There are a lot of quick WR's in Texas and I think Iowa will start getting some of those guys in 2014, but I do like what I see on paper out of the skill guys so far, there is some speed.

Iowa used to be really good at coaching guys up, that seems to have fallen by the wayside as well, or is it because they aren't getting some of those raw athletes anymore?

At one point, I swore Iowa needed to take all those athletes and put them on defense, they have decent athletes on defense now, it is time to get some of those back on the offense. Iowa can't miss two recruiting classes in a row because they have to develop players to replace people, you can see what happened after they missed out a couple years for various reasons.

Texas didn't utilize a FB that often under Davis, but they went 3-wide a lot. Iowa doesn't have that roster, play 2-WR and 2-TE as TE was by far away their strength on the offensive side.

I guess my thinking is that the RB seemed to have to make a guy miss 2-4 yds deep about every play, at least spread the field out a little bit and the RB will have a clear view where that guy is coming from...;)

GD came on late in the game and I think that hurt in recruiting a bit as well. There are a lot of quick WR's in Texas and I think Iowa will start getting some of those guys in 2014, but I do like what I see on paper out of the skill guys so far, there is some speed.

Iowa used to be really good at coaching guys up, that seems to have fallen by the wayside as well, or is it because they aren't getting some of those raw athletes anymore?

At one point, I swore Iowa needed to take all those athletes and put them on defense, they have decent athletes on defense now, it is time to get some of those back on the offense. Iowa can't miss two recruiting classes in a row because they have to develop players to replace people, you can see what happened after they missed out a couple years for various reasons.

Thank you! I have been saying this the past few years. It was known that Iowa was great at getting more out of their players since they mostly had 2* guys and walk ons. They seem to be recruiting better overall but the affects haven't been seen on the field. I don't think going back to the 2*/walk on guys isn't what they need to do but they do need something different because what they are doing now isn't working. Maybe I am just too impatient, I don't know.

Seriously? Do you guys even watch Iowa football?? GD's playbook is a condensed version of KOK's, which hasn't changed since 1999, except for the removal of all 10+ yard pass routes! I think I only mumbled, "what's changed" 50 times in the first half at Chicago. Most teams' defenses know Iowa's playbook well enough [because it's small, simple and redundant] they could swith sides and run our offense at an equal level. I doubt the other teams even ask for game film any more since it's so easy for them to see what's coming via our vanilla, nothing ever changes offense!!

This is just stupid, stick around and wait and see what happens.

This is just stupid, stick around and wait and see what happens.

I for one will always be sticking around, but you're out of your mind if you think our offense will improve under Davis. He's hands down the worst coordinator I've ever seen. Our offense was so pathetic this season that I'm still angry even now.

I for one will always be sticking around, but you're out of your mind if you think our offense will improve under Davis. He's hands down the worst coordinator I've ever seen. Our offense was so pathetic this season that I'm still angry even now.

I hope you are being dramatic for affect. If not, come on, it's just football. Although I agree it was truly pathetic.

Stanzi;1017983 [B said:
Our offense was so pathetic this season[/B] that I'm still angry even now.

This is what I think a lot of folks are missing. The offense wasn't just bad, it was inept. And as Gary Dolphin said on the radio concerning Iowa's offense, "This is just painful to watch."

FreedComanche

Don't know how in the world it could be any worse.

FreedComanche

It could be worse, like as in "0" offensive points at all. If that happens no way GD or KF last another year. People will start putting up big cash if KF can't muster zero points next season in some games.

It could be worse, like as in "0" offensive points at all. If that happens no way GD or KF last another year. People will start putting up big cash if KF can't muster zero points next season in some games.

I'm one who just doesn't assume that it will be a replica of last season. Now if it is then there's problems, but I'm not going to stress about it too much now, did enough of that during the last season.

LTTYP.png

Eggselent addition of head coach in this. Laffy.

IMO; this passing offense needs 3 things to be successful.

1) The players to run it. In Texas it was easy to get players that had quickness to turn the 4 yd route into a 12+ yd gain.

2) The players need to know the offense. It was apparent all season long that 8 months wasn't enough time to learn the passing scheme. All season long the receivers and the qb weren't on the same page when it came to the read/react route running.

3) A verticle passing game. As the season went on, it was quite apparent we didn't have this. Defenses completely stopped playing even a hint of deep defense. Add this element in, and this offense could become dangerous.

To me, #3 was the biggest disappointment/failure of the coaching staff. Had adjustment been made, we could have stopped the late season skid. #3 is also a reason I find optimism for next season.

I liked the flea flicker play a lot. It reminded me a lot of Fry. I would also like to see the return of the stand up tight end.

Latest posts