"Another Year With GD's Playbook = Improvement?"

Seriously? Do you guys even watch Iowa football?? GD's playbook is a condensed version of KOK's, which hasn't changed since 1999, except for the removal of all 10+ yard pass routes! I think I only mumbled, "what's changed" 50 times in the first half at Chicago. Most teams' defenses know Iowa's playbook well enough [because it's small, simple and redundant] they could swith sides and run our offense at an equal level. I doubt the other teams even ask for game film any more since it's so easy for them to see what's coming via our vanilla, nothing ever changes offense!!

I actually like kok's offense better than derp Davis'. I do not like our new offensive identity in the least. Merry x mad to you derp Davis. I wish you explosive diarrhea.

The run scheme seems to be the same.

I didn't watch some of the games this year, by the time I saw the score I didn't even bother watching the DVR of MI, NW and Indiana games.

didn't see that many screens (apart from jail break) or wheel routes over the last decade.

Honestly so many plays were blown up by defensive backs covering the wr's that its hard to get much sense of it.

sometimes the shots of ferentz showed a man who saw so much wrong out there on the field that he didn't know where to begin. They didn't block well, WR's didn't get open. I dont want to be the guy who says "aw! horrible play call" but there were times when a guy like me with not that much understanding was left thinking WTF are they thinking?

who knows.

The problem with GD is not just the playbook itself, but his inability to make adjustments if something isn't working. JVB and the wrs seemed to struggle with the passing schemes that GD incorporated. Our wrs couldn't get separation, which is huge when trying to complete a quick slant. Instead of incorporating more rollouts or whatever he just kept calling slants. It was like he thought his wrs would transform into the 5 star players he worked with in Texas. He needs to do a better job of coaching. Fact. Make adjustments to the players skills and talents. We obviously can't run the same stuff he ran at Texas. If he tries doing the same thing as last year, we will see more of the same from our offense.

just how many times did JVB check out of that went to a run play, or how many times did JVB even look off the primary WR and lock onto him.
sorry the QB can either make coaches look like Idiots or the greatest coaches in the world.
JBB in my opinion JVB'S poor play resulted in alot of the problems this past fall,
you can only do so much with a lump of coal

Seriously? Do you guys even watch Iowa football?? GD's playbook is a condensed version of KOK's, which hasn't changed since 1999, except for the removal of all 10+ yard pass routes! I think I only mumbled, "what's changed" 50 times in the first half at Chicago. Most teams' defenses know Iowa's playbook well enough [because it's small, simple and redundant] they could swith sides and run our offense at an equal level. I doubt the other teams even ask for game film any more since it's so easy for them to see what's coming via our vanilla, nothing ever changes offense!!

^^^^ this is all a myth^^^^

just how many times did JVB check out of that went to a run play, or how many times did JVB even look off the primary WR and lock onto him.
sorry the QB can either make coaches look like Idiots or the greatest coaches in the world.
JBB in my opinion JVB'S poor play resulted in alot of the problems this past fall,

wow... talking about throwing players under the bus

why not everybody loves to do it to the coaches AND players all the time
and its not thrtowing under the bus as a I asked a simple question and stated a opinion about a how a player can make coaches look back

Its different when you call out everyone else who does it. JVB = lump of coal. thats a new one hErb

When Iowa can keep a good RB on campus for more than a year, get some speed at WR and have a healthy offensive line for a full season there really is no point in talking about who is running the offense or who the coordinator is.

Iowa's best years under Ferentz have been when they had a good to great offensive line returning, but also a good DL at the same time. They have the makings of both, but not a whole lot to go with either at this point, see above statement.

It does appear that Kirk is figuring things out that he has to recruit speed again, now this is just by Rivals, but it appears on paper this will be one of Iowa's fastest classes on paper for a while, regardless of ranking.

Keep in mind when Iowa went to the Orange Bowl and played USC. They didn't have a ton of highly ranked guys on that team, but the staff coached them into positions to succeed. At those times, multiple media sources were saying Iowa had the best staff in the BIG. However, there was a point where Iowa needed to make some changes as something changed, they weren't getting the raw athletes any longer to go along with some of the more highly rated prospects. No changes were made that were needed about three to four years ago as Iowa became stagnant. Unfortunately, Iowa will suffer longer for not making those changes when the time was right.

The one thing I have noticed about herpy derpy herby is he throws players under the bus after they are done playing at Iowa.

JVB in this thread, Gatens in a couple basketball threads recently, etc.

The one thing I have noticed about herpy derpy herby is he throws players under the bus after they are done playing at Iowa.

JVB in this thread, Gatens in a couple basketball threads recently, etc.
This seems to be pretty spot on.. But like T$ was saying, he gets all bent out of shape and "that time of the monthy" when you criticize a current Hawk..

He's like the exact opposite of everyone else.. We critique everything they do while here, but when they leave we (generally) wish them the best and try to remember the best. RedHerp is opposite end of spectrum defending blatant stupidity but once they leave he gives em the finger

Last edited:

Seriously, I can't answer that question. No way can I tell from TV who the primary receiver is. And most of the time I can't tell when he audibles or is just calling signals because I don't know what all that barking means before the snap. Sometimes you can tell when they audible but I'll bet most of the time most people can't

shut up

LTTYP.png

When Iowa can keep a good RB on campus for more than a year, get some speed at WR and have a healthy offensive line for a full season there really is no point in talking about who is running the offense or who the coordinator is.

I agree with this to a point but the offense scheme didn't make sense. If you don't have a vertical passing game then teams will slowly start to creep up and stack the box. Just having speed WR's aren't going to open up the down field passing game.

I agree with this to a point but the offense scheme didn't make sense. If you don't have a vertical passing game then teams will slowly start to creep up and stack the box. Just having speed WR's aren't going to open up the down field passing game.

Iowa has far better than average TE's and a pretty solid O-Line, when healthy.

Unfortunately, if you don't have guys outside that can beat single coverage, or a RB that can't make people miss in space, it is pretty difficult to have a great offense.

Defenses today can manipulate offenses into making the "safe" play, but if the offense can't make a play that makes the defense change it is normally because their skill players are average at best.

Iowa has far better than average TE's and a pretty solid O-Line, when healthy.

Unfortunately, if you don't have guys outside that can beat single coverage, or a RB that can't make people miss in space, it is pretty difficult to have a great offense.

Defenses today can manipulate offenses into making the "safe" play, but if the offense can't make a play that makes the defense change it is normally because their skill players are average at best.

In my opinion the TE's were greatly under used this year. The O-line was really good at run blocking, it was built to run block and they did it well, really well.

As for the WR's not beating people on the single coverage, Iowa has never had that. McNutt and DJK made plays out of nothing. RB's not making guys miss, that again has never been something Iowa has had since what Freddie Russell. Garmon might have grown into that but he wasn't going to do the between the tackles stuff that Iowa has to have if KF is head coach.

Manipulating the offense into making the safe play, yes that is what they did to Iowa all year long with the passing game.

I think the offense will be better next year, it is how much better is the question.

Latest posts