Another one bites the dust...

hawkdrummer1

per @MarcMorehouse of the Cedar Rapids Gazette...Sophomore safety Solomon Warfield is transferring from IOWA.

Bummer. Anybody know why?

When a walk-on like Brandon Snyder climbs the depth chart and is listed in front of you the writing is probably on the wall. He probably just wants to play and it doesn't look like that was going to happen at Iowa. He had a good football name though.

Sometimes things just don't work out and I wish the young man good luck in his future. Maybe he will land somewhere that he will get some good time on the field.

It's all Kurt's fault. He continually lets the best athletes on the team walk because he refuses to play them.

Did I do it right?

Oh noes - more attrition!

I seriously have no problem when guys I've either never heard of, or had forgotten about, leave the team.

Those guys can go get playing time at FCS schools, and we can free up those scholarships to bring in more new guys.

just another example, I am guessing, of a guy who chose Iowa for the chance to play football, and not for the opportunity to earn a degree at an academically elite university. But then again, I don't know why he is leaving. Maybe he is homesick, or he flunked out, or he failed a drug test. But if he is transferring to an FCS school, it must be just to play football, because a degree from Iowa is much more valuable.

Its different with Sokol or Rudock, who got their degrees first before leaving. I wish them all the best in the future. But I am disapointed when a marginal player gives up the opportunity to get a degree from Iowa.

just another example, I am guessing, of a guy who chose Iowa for the chance to play football, and not for the opportunity to earn a degree at an academically elite university. But then again, I don't know why he is leaving. Maybe he is homesick, or he flunked out, or he failed a drug test. But if he is transferring to an FCS school, it must be just to play football, because a degree from Iowa is much more valuable.

Its different with Sokol or Rudock, who got their degrees first before leaving. I wish them all the best in the future. But I am disapointed when a marginal player gives up the opportunity to get a degree from Iowa.

He wants to go somewhere else for more playing time which is quite understandable & common. If I had the talent and buried on the depth chart, I'd probably do the same. If you can play, play. there are many comparable schools to Iowa that are just as terrific. I like Iowa as well but I don't know if I'd call them an academically "elite" university. Iowa is a pretty standard university, IMO. Even if he went down the the FCS level to play right away, he can still find a good fit and with more playing time. I don't blame him.

When a walk-on like Brandon Snyder climbs the depth chart and is listed in front of you the writing is probably on the wall. He probably just wants to play and it doesn't look like that was going to happen at Iowa. He had a good football name though.

It also shows reason #23423 that this staff sucks at recruiting.

Iowa's attrition rate is the worst in the Big Ten, by a significant margin. What's behind this problem, is open to speculation.

The fact THAT THERE IS a problem, is not in question.

------I seriously have no problem when guys I've either never heard of, or had forgotten about, leave the team.

Agreed. I have a much bigger problem when guys nobody has ever heard of, get full rides from Kurt.

And people wonder why some of us aren't all giddy about these "early commits" that have no offers from other programs. See Solomon Warfield for example of why I don't give them the benefit of the doubt like some do.

On the bright side: Look at that DB 2 deep. Can anyone remember a time we had a bigger, faster and DEEPER defensive backfield? Except for Lomax, they are all going to play for us for 2 more years or more.

this may be the real reason Warfield is leaving ... and the emergence of Snyder.

Latest posts