Another Ebertowski Article

He sounds like he could be a badass safety, possible tailback, or maybe even a return man? I would think he could at least he a heck of a special teams player with that speed and size.

Alright...someone help me out...I spent most of that article thinking he must play for the Rail Splitters, then noticed it said "Lynx" and THEN noticed the colors couldn't be DM Lincoln...and not once does it say in that article, where in the holy hell that kid plays, other than "Abraham Lincoln"...is it CB?

Edit: Nevermind...finally saw it on the second look...didn't realize that "Nonpareil" was an actual newspaper's name...:eek:

Last edited:
A few question marks in his past makes him a risky recruit? At least he is a great football player and seems like he loves football. He could be at a minimum a Sash or Greenwood type player.

A bigger question mark would be someone who just flat out looks disinterested in football and despite an excellent skill set never seems to make any plays.

Here's his 2010 highlight videos:
Austin Ebertowski - Highlight Videos - Hudl

What I see:

Great straight ahead speed.
Tends to run around or over someone rather than making them miss with a cutback or spin move.
Most runs are off-tackle or sweeps. Doesn't run up the middle? Or do it well?
Great blocking by teammates.
Doesn't show much change of direction (one good play against S.C. North).
Is not a leaper.
More likely 5'10" 190 lbs than his listed 6'0" 210 lbs.

He does not run like Brandon Wegher or Adam Robinson - two good former in-state backs with wide contrast in running styles. D1 RB is out for him. As for potential at safety, doesn't appear to have the hips to play defensive back - moves with his feet rather than with his hips (i.e., will take more steps to get somewhere than if he'd have planted his feet and changed direction with his hips). Doesn't play much defense for his team. He's no Tanner Miller or Tyler Sash in terms of all-around athletic ability.

Intangibles: Had some off-field issues. Attitude in article is not encouraging. His CBAL team went undefeated, but lost in the first round of playoffs tonight to a 3-6 Urbandale team.

To me he looks like a track star who's found a niche at running back on a good overall high school team who is more FCS or DII material for college. One heck of a high school player, but a reach for a D1 BCS scholarship.

Here's his 2010 highlight videos:
Austin Ebertowski - Highlight Videos - Hudl

What I see:

Great straight ahead speed.
Tends to run around or over someone rather than making them miss with a cutback or spin move.
Most runs are off-tackle or sweeps. Doesn't run up the middle? Or do it well?
Great blocking by teammates.
Doesn't show much change of direction (one good play against S.C. North).
Is not a leaper.
More likely 5'10" 190 lbs than his listed 6'0" 210 lbs.

He does not run like Brandon Wegher or Adam Robinson - two good former in-state backs with wide contrast in running styles. D1 RB is out for him. As for potential at safety, doesn't appear to have the hips to play defensive back - moves with his feet rather than with his hips (i.e., will take more steps to get somewhere than if he'd have planted his feet and changed direction with his hips). Doesn't play much defense for his team. He's no Tanner Miller or Tyler Sash in terms of all-around athletic ability.

Intangibles: Had some off-field issues. Attitude in article is not encouraging. His CBAL team went undefeated, but lost in the first round of playoffs tonight to a 3-6 Urbandale team.

To me he looks like a track star who's found a niche at running back on a good overall high school team who is more FCS or DII material for college. One heck of a high school player, but a reach for a D1 BCS scholarship.

This is why we trust the coaches and not the stats. Look at what the kid said in the article, my stats are just as good blah blah blah. So what you're fast in Iowa, probably going to get yards. Doesn't make you D1 material. Now, I agree, I thought his attitude was cocky in this article and "poor me" mentality. If Iowa thinks he's a good ST guy then fine, but if he doesn't get a schollie then it doesn't sound like Iowa is missing out.

This article is incorrect. Plenty of D1 programs are interested in Ebertowski. He went to Iowa and Iowa State's camps this summer. The coaches of both programs told him they wanted to see him change directions better. They don't think that he has the hips to play defensive back in D1 football, and if he doesn't have the hips for defensive back, he's not a running back either. His hips are what's holding him back. It's not race, what school he plays for, etc. If the coaches see a major weakness, they aren't going to let other positives like stats and straight ahead speed overshadow it. He would be a good walk-on candidate because of his speed, let him prove that he has what it takes to play BigTen football. If he makes it, good for him for improving upon what the coaches requested. If not, then the coaches were right all along.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Iowa & Iowa State coaches have been talking to Ebertowski and his coach about running back just to appease them because they are more interested in his teammate TE Jamison Lalk. Lalk got an offer from Iowa State a few weeks ago and committed this week. He was holding out for an Iowa offer, so either the coaches told him they weren't going to offer, or wouldn't know until much later. ISU couldn't wait much longer for him to make a decision because their 2011 class is nearly full. Good for him, nice to see any Iowa kid get a D1 scholarship and he obviously we didn't lose him since we didn't offer.

Last edited:
He was holding out for an Iowa offer, so either the coaches told him they weren't going to offer, or wouldn't know until much later. ISU couldn't wait much longer for him to make a decision because their class is filling up, so it seems he took what he could get now.

How do you know this? I'm not disputing it but sometims that just gets assumed over here. Do you know him or somebody close to him? I'm honestly not arguing. :)

Iowa signed a kid from Logan, IIRC. Alvis.

Thanks for bringing this up, because I'm curious what our coaches will decide about a kid from Logan playing this year, Levi Ettleman. There wasn't much publicity on him going in to the summer, but he's started to get attention now that the season's in session. He got an offer from UNI a few weeks ago. He's a 6'3", 234-lbs TE/DE and a four sport athlete (2nd team all-state football as junior, 3rd team all-state basketball, placed in state meet in shot put & discus, all-district pitcher). Not sure if we'll offer any more in-state players, but if he's anything like Dominic Alvis, he'd be a good get.

Logan-Magnolia sets sights on St. Albert - Omaha.com
Do-it-all seniors find their niches at Lo-Ma - Omaha.com

if you are a player, iowa will find you.

Im guessing the off the field stuff doesnt help the kid from AL. If you are a marginal prospect and have attitude questions, you prolly wont get the nod.

How do you know this? I'm not disputing it but sometims that just gets assumed over here. Do you know him or somebody close to him? I'm honestly not arguing. :)
I don't know Jamison Lalk or anyone close to him. Based this off of what I've read on the ISU and IowaPreps Rivals sites. Read an interview he gave right after the ISU offer that indicated that if no other programs offer, he will pick Iowa State. Iowa was the only other program recruiting him that hadn't offered yet, so it seems that he was holding out for us to make an offer. I don't know what our coaches told him, I'm going to speculate that we were still interested in him but wouldn't be able to make a decision on him until a few weeks or even months from now. We are still in play with so many other higher rated recruits that I don't see us making any more offers until December or January.

In contrast, Iowa State will probably have all it's 2011 commitments in before December. I've read several times that Iowa State has only 20 scholarships to give in 2011, and they already had 15 commits prior to Lalk. They're in play for a few JUCO DE's and DT's and a few decent 3-star players, all of whom will be making a decision in the next few weeks. ISU's win over Texas certainly increased their chances of getting commits from their outstanding offers, and it allows their staff to put the pressure on these recruits to commit soon before all their spots are filled. Lalk doesn't have the luxury of another D1 BCS offer to fall back on, so he would have risked being left without a D1 BCS offer if ISU's class filled up and Iowa didn't offer. Committing now was the best move for him.

I'm not saying any of this factored into his decision in any way, just that he was facing the prospect of losing his ISU offer if he were to have held out much longer for an Iowa offer.

A few question marks in his past makes him a risky recruit? At least he is a great football player and seems like he loves football. He could be at a minimum a Sash or Greenwood type player.

A bigger question mark would be someone who just flat out looks disinterested in football and despite an excellent skill set never seems to make any plays.

At minimum a Sash? Really?

At minimum a Sash? Really?

Exactly. I've read several posters on HN and HR trying to compare Ebertowski to Sash. If he was anything close to Sash, he'd already have an offer. That he doesn't have one from us or ISU or UNI says that he isn't even close to Sash.

In high school Sash was a top all-around football player and all-around athlete. Three time all-state in football, two-time all-state in basketball, state track qualifier, etc. Sash was a D1 basketball prospect; he can change directions well and is a good leaper. Ebertowski doesn't, he just uses his speed to his advantage, and that won't work in D1 football when opposing defenders are just as fast as you. What are weaknesses for Ebertowski are strengths for Sash. There is no comparison.

Sounds like he has a lot of athleticism. Someone said he looks like 5'10 not 6'0". I don't think it matters if a person is 5'10 instead of 6'0" for RB at all. It makes it easy to run low to the ground.

Can anyone talk about the attitude comments?

Latest posts