Andy Roddick To Retire

HawkeyeHypnosis

Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open

I miss the days of Sampras and Agassi. From article:

Andy Roddick, the top American man for the last decade, and the last American man to win a Grand Slam event, will retire from tennis after the U.S. Open.

"I have decided that this is going to be my last tournament," Roddick said. "I don't know if I'm healthy enough or committed enough to continue another year. I've always wanted to, in a perfect world, finish at this event. I have a lot of family and friends here. I've thought all year that I would know when I got to this tournament. When I was playing my first round, I knew."

I think these guys have a much moe strenuous life, both physically and mentally, than most of us realize. A good read on that subject is in the book: Open: by Agassi.

I'd retire too, if I had Brooklyn Decker at home waiting for me. Hoo-ahhh!

feel kind of bad for him. his peak was during the Federerererer area and could beat everyone but him. oh well, as mentioned he has quite a consolation prize.

Poor guy, has to go home now to this............
brooklyn-decker-20a.jpg

I don't follow tennis, but I have always rooted for roddick since the days he was just a punk kid hanging out at our little neighborhood minimart in boca raton with his buddies. He was very young.

Now all this "retiring" talk does is make me feel that much older. I continue to wish him success, esp with his wife, but it's too bad he didn't win another major.

You know it is time to retire from tennis when......your wife overshadows your career.

However, I don't think any of us are feeling sorry for him.
#tradeplaceswithyou

Yeah, I feel bad for Andy in that he was a great tennis player, but Federer was just greater. Nothing wrong with that. I do love our three wonderful players that we've been able to watch as tennis fans, in Nadal, Federer, and Novak.

13 aces today for AR. Federer made a speech saying he wanted the place to be loud for Andy and gave respect. Hope he can make a run at winning his final tourney.

feel kind of bad for him. his peak was during the Federerererer area and could beat everyone but him. oh well, as mentioned he has quite a consolation prize.

He finished second in four grand slam finals (3 Wimbledon, 1 U.S. Open), and faced Federer all four times.

Don't feel sorry for Roddick, he could beaten Federer if he were better. Roddick has said things to keep people from focusing on his tennis. He won one flipping Grand Slam.

You want to feel bad for someone, try Jim Courier who played in one of the greatest eras of not just American tennis, but tennis in general. He won four Grand Slams and who knows how many he could have won in today's era. Not only did he have Sampras, Agassi, there was Edberg, Ivanisavic, Rafter, Hewitt, Stich and others. Tennis is not as deep as it once was and you can point the finger at the American decline.

Roddick had just one guy to beat for the longest time, but now a whole slew of folks have passed him up. He is retiring because he isn't a great player and is actually admitting to it. It would be nice to see others do the same, recognize when it isn't worth making a fool of yourself.

The only reason people know who he is, is because he did witn a Slam and is the last American to do so. What people should be looking at is how poor American tennis is right now.

Latest posts