And now this

Maybe it's just me but it seemed he was using something local like the football team as an analogy for the public school system to get his point across about having competent teachers. When the crowd reacted the way they did to the notion of firing the football coach he went with it. I don't think he knows the first thing about Iowa football or the current narrative around Ferentz. If the crowd doesn't react the way they did, nothing would of come of it. At least that's how it came off to me. It does speak to the general feeling of Kirk in this state though.

Yes, until we get a coach who wins. It works, Michigan got a Harbaugh out of the deal, while the sniveling Ferentz backers sit back and take it.

I can see why you like/agree with Lewis Black. The guy finds something negative and yells, screams, and curses about it. It was kinda funny several years ago; but now it's just old and overdone.

Whether it's Louis Black, Red Skelton or Redd Foxx.... point is, when the visiting comedians put you in the cross hairs and ESPN picks it up... you're pretty much toast.

Ferentz is becoming validation for every negative stereotype about IOWA (the state, not the University)... boring, overly conservative (not the political label) and slow to change and embrace new ideas.

Can we get rid of this guy already and his #1 enabler. He's becoming a punchline (literally in this case) and I don't like my alma mater attached to it.
AMEN well said.

Whether it's Louis Black, Red Skelton or Redd Foxx.... point is, when the visiting comedians put you in the cross hairs and ESPN picks it up... you're pretty much toast.

Ferentz is becoming validation for every negative stereotype about IOWA (the state, not the University)... boring, overly conservative (not the political label) and slow to change and embrace new ideas.

Can we get rid of this guy already and his #1 enabler. He's becoming a punchline (literally in this case) and I don't like my alma mater attached to it.

I agree that this not a good light to be under nationally. But I envision a scenario that Lewis Black was likely talking to some locals pre-show and the topic of the football team came up. One of the locals (I'm guessing it was Hawk90 or some other poster on HN) mentioned how much Kurt is a jerk face sux coach, and Black brought that into the show to connect with the crowd; which is a common practice for many many comedians.

Does LB really know or care about Iowa football? I highly doubt it. But until we start to win again, we'll just have to deal with this (and all of those other articles that get written about the coach/state of the program).

I agree that this not a good light to be under nationally. But I envision a scenario that Lewis Black was likely talking to some locals pre-show and the topic of the football team came up. One of the locals (I'm guessing it was Hawk90 or some other poster on HN) mentioned how much Kurt is a jerk face sux coach, and Black brought that into the show to connect with the crowd; which is a common practice for many many comedians.

Does LB really know or care about Iowa football? I highly doubt it. But until we start to win again, we'll just have to deal with this (and all of those other articles that get written about the coach/state of the program).

You can actually watch the entire scenario play out in the link that was posted. He simply used the football coach as an example (not really knowing anything about him) and the crowd reacted and you could tell he was caught off guard. Then he just went with it, also common practice for many many comedians.

If only Lewis Black knew a frigging thing about football. All he is doing is mirroring/aping the pay-envy/class-envy crowd.

Oh, and one might look online to see what kind of cash Lewis Black pulls down. I sure as he&& wouldn't mind getting that kind of dough just to hide behind the First Amendment insulting people.

I'm sure Lewis Black is nowhere close to being a "99 %-er".
As opposed to hiding behind a screen name on a message board and insulting Lewis Black and making nothing for it? He is probably making the same amount of money as KF. Being a standup comedian isn't easy or every smart aleck that is out there would be doing it. If he is making money he is earning it. He cannot just sit around and say "That's comedy" (as opposed to that's football) when his jokes don't work or he wouldn't get any gigs. By the way, that dude is hilarious.

Nope, I was not there. Although I did see him in Iraq, funny as hell. And usually the first step in getting rid of a coach is dissent from the fan base, now thanks to Lewis Black and ESPN our dissent is getting national attention. I believe that you are hiding under a rock, or listening to Dolph's call-in show if you do not realize how wide-spread this is. I suggest you get out more.

You can actually watch the entire scenario play out in the link that was posted. He simply used the football coach as an example (not really knowing anything about him) and the crowd reacted and you could tell he was caught off guard. Then he just went with it, also common practice for many many comedians.

Well I wasn't too far off with it. He mentioned something and some locals in the crowd went apesheet, so he went with it to connect with the crowd. I'm sure if he knew more of the situation, he'd have a hay day with GarBar!! Lol'n.

mrilp.jpg

As opposed to hiding behind a screen name on a message board and insulting Lewis Black and making nothing for it? He is probably making the same amount of money as KF. Being a standup comedian isn't easy or every smart aleck that is out there would be doing it. If he is making money he is earning it. He cannot just sit around and say "That's comedy" (as opposed to that's football) when his jokes don't work or he wouldn't get any gigs. By the way, that dude is hilarious.

<<By the way, that dude is hilarious>>

Seriously? "Rant" comedy went out with crack cocaine and Heavy Metal Hair.

You are out of touch. I think quite a few people would consider Lewis Black one of the top comedians in the world, I also think his comments reflected the majority of Iowan's opinion of Ferentz. Let me guess, you are one of the old codgers that still enjoys hearing Hey Jude from the band every year.

Hey let's be fair. ..The band really took it to the next level last year with their stellar rendition of earth, wind, and fire :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can see why you like/agree with Lewis Black. The guy finds something negative and yells, screams, and curses about it. It was kinda funny several years ago; but now it's just old and overdone.

Not at all different from the throng of Ron white fans who think it's hilarious that he smokes and drinks after every punchline

Or "comedian" Kevin James

I just don't get the defenders of Ferentz. No matter how bad the team gets....mediocrity is OK, it's just little ole' Iowa. Ferentz had some good years. He is not keeping up with the times, it is time to start again, get a new coach. One who can actually recruit a top 50 class, one who can manage a clock, one who can consistently beat one of the worst programs in the nation (Iowa State), one who can compete. We have Top 15 facilities, we have the 11th financially strongest program.....why don't we have a Top 15 football program. Lewis Black was right. Hawknick, the earth is not flat. And Red Skelton was just sad.

Iowa is a joke. People just don't understand what Ferentz has done for a third world country. Iowa high school football is a disgrace. The worst talent base in the conference. Yet the people on this board think Iowa should compete with the elite programs. Iowa is a state with very old slow white people. With the demographics, Iowa should be the worst team in the B1G every year.

How the hell did Iowa ever finish in the top eight four times under Ferentz. The best thing that could happen to Iowa is to quadruple the population. So instead of bitchin' about Ferentz, knock up your wife or girlfriend tonight.

Red Skelton was great. Guys like Lewis Black have stolen the routine of other comedians and road their coat tail to success. I'm not saying that's wrong. Lewis Black has a net worth of 1.5 million so he's been very successful. Nobody listening to a comedian takes what they say seriously if they even remember it 15 minutes later. Do you think people changed their votes because of Letterman's presidential jokes. Hawk90 will continue to live a miserable life because he thinks his views are the only ones that count. Since Red Skelton wasn't relevant during his time he dismisses him as nothing. I'm sure he thinks he's a genius but until he grows up and opens his mind he'll live a life where people will avoid him and mock him for what he is. There's always hope that he will mature and be alright.
I want KF out as ead coach but that doesn't mean everything he's done has been horrible. This is something Hawk90 hasn't figured out.

Red Skelton was great. Guys like Lewis Black have stolen the routine of other comedians and road their coat tail to success. I'm not saying that's wrong. Lewis Black has a net worth of 1.5 million so he's been very successful. Nobody listening to a comedian takes what they say seriously if they even remember it 15 minutes later. Do you think people changed their votes because of Letterman's presidential jokes. Hawk90 will continue to live a miserable life because he thinks his views are the only ones that count. Since Red Skelton wasn't relevant during his time he dismisses him as nothing. I'm sure he thinks he's a genius but until he grows up and opens his mind he'll live a life where people will avoid him and mock him for what he is. There's always hope that he will mature and be alright.
I want KF out as ead coach but that doesn't mean everything he's done has been horrible. This is something Hawk90 hasn't figured out.[/QUOTE

I think Ferentz is a fine person, he has been great for the State and the university. However, his time has passed. I seem to have offended you old farts. I know you like the sixties flashbacks; the band playing Hey Jude, football like ole Woody and Bo played before the Big Ten discovered the forward pass and offense.....Red Skelton on the ole radio....you know the old days. And I actually live a pretty good life. You are right, Red Skelton is NOT relevant today.....and has not been for 50 years, therein lies my point. It is time to move on and get relevant and quit living in the past. If that's genius, then I am a genius. Most of us live in the present, looking forward to the future. Step up your game Doc!

Last edited:

Lol, that's just fricken absurd.

Iowa is a joke. People just don't understand what Ferentz has done for a third world country. Iowa high school football is a disgrace. The worst talent base in the conference. Yet the people on this board think Iowa should compete with the elite programs. Iowa is a state with very old slow white people. With the demographics, Iowa should be the worst team in the B1G every year.

How the hell did Iowa ever finish in the top eight four times under Ferentz. The best thing that could happen to Iowa is to quadruple the population. So instead of bitchin' about Ferentz, knock up your wife or girlfriend tonight.

Flat out ******* LIE.

That has never been the issue.

The issue is CONSITENTLY loosing to garbage teams, and doing it while playing unorganized and scared.

Latest posts