And now about Purdue

We will rally around Deacon Hill and play good football.
The amount of positivity judged off of 3.5 quarters of play is astounding me. A week ago, this Board wanted to tar and feather the Ferentz' and forfeit the rest of the season. Now we are booking tickets to Indy.

To be clear, I prefer the optimism and I am cautiously optimistic that Cade's injury will be a good thing for Iowa in the long term. But man, just baffling to see how much difference a week makes.

If against Purdue Hill goes 17-25 for 240, no INTs and 2 TDs, I will guzzle the koolaid. Right now I am sipping gingerly.

Yah, right with ya. Through a coffee straw, even.

The excitement I feel re: Hill is that it's 'different'.
Like maybe, hopefully, possibly, wishfully that the version of Kirkball is adjusted slightly by QB and their ability. And that it's just enough different that it yields different results.

Either that, or it's a "We will rally around Kurt Warner and play good football" moment...
I am convinced that for the first few games when Kurt took over, that he'd turn his back to the opposing defense, stand in the huddle and point at Holt and draw a buttonhook on his chest with his finger....then point at Bruce and say "You go out to here, then cut to the seam" while drawing another route. And if that didn't work, he'd toss it to Marshall who'd just go. Nobody knew what was coming. Neither the defense, or Mike Martz.

Course, I just watched a highlights reel of Warner's first season. That dude dropped pills in the exact spot....at the exact time in the receiver's stride....that only the receiver could catch it. And in a manner that it was almost impossible not to pick up another 8-10 yards before the defender could get a head of steam up again to take down the receiver.

We will rally around Deacon Hill and play good football.

Yah, right with ya. Through a coffee straw, even.

The excitement I feel re: Hill is that it's 'different'.
Like maybe, hopefully, possibly, wishfully that the version of Kirkball is adjusted slightly by QB and their ability. And that it's just enough different that it yields different results.

Either that, or it's a "We will rally around Kurt Warner and play good football" moment...
I am convinced that for the first few games when Kurt took over, that he'd turn his back to the opposing defense, stand in the huddle and point at Holt and draw a buttonhook on his chest with his finger....then point at Bruce and say "You go out to here, then cut to the seam" while drawing another route. And if that didn't work, he'd toss it to Marshall who'd just go. Nobody knew what was coming. Neither the defense, or Mike Martz.

Course, I just watched a highlights reel of Warner's first season. That dude dropped pills in the exact spot....at the exact time in the receiver's stride....that only the receiver could catch it. And in a manner that it was almost impossible not to pick up another 8-10 yards before the defender could get a head of steam up again to take down the receiver.

Excellent comparison. Kurt Warner was thrust into the spotlight when Trent Green got hurt. Kurt came in and played at a Hall of Fame level. I could see that out of Deacon Hill. You can just see it in the guy's face.

We saw 3 drops that could have extended drives and allowed Hill to show even more. I guess as relevant is that I don't remember Hill throwing a really bad ball--either in decision or accuracy. Again, I need a bit more evidence before I am getting overly excited, but there is enough there to have hope.
I'm sure he would like to have the interception back. That was a really bad ball that shouldn't have been thrown.

DH feels like a supersized Petras to me. Metaphorically speaking, he just hasn't been neutered by the coaching staff yet.

I'm expecting Iowa to win games like they always win games...awesome special teams and good defense.

DH feels like a supersized Petras to me. Metaphorically speaking, he just hasn't been neutered by the coaching staff yet.

I'm expecting Iowa to win games like they always win games...awesome special teams and good defense.
You think Petras was neutered? He couldn't perform the relatively simple offense from last season. I think the likelihood of a Petras catastrophic mistake neutered himself.

Applies to humanity in general, not just sports.
Lol, true.
In another post I specifically said that Deacon is NOT Joe Montana, but I do like the way you mentioned Elway and Young. I don't think he's as mobile as them, but he is a lot to bring down and clearly has arm strength and accuracy on par with Elway.
Comparing any current Iowa quarterback to any of these premier NFL QB’s is blasphemy.

Now pass the pipe my way. I could use a hit to survive this offense.

I'm just happy to not have to watch a gimpy paper mache QB out there that cannot run and is always on the edge of breaking. I am hopeful for an improvement with this QB change. Over 3k yards and 30 TD's as a junior in HS. Can wing it.

I mean KF basically stated in his presser before the ISU game that parts of the playbook were closed. No sneaks, no waggles, no designed runs. I was hoping that he was playing possum, but I don't think he was. He was doing the most KF thing imaginable, telling the defense that the limited offense was even more limited.

Now BF has the entire playbook available, at least what he can get Deacon comfortable with in a week's practice with the #1s. But, with the ability to boot and play action, the defense has to be more honest. And never underestimate the value of an effective QB sneak to an offense that wants to control the ball. I want to see two 4th down conversions via sneak this week.

Lol, true.

Comparing any current Iowa quarterback to any of these premier NFL QB’s is blasphemy.

Now pass the pipe my way. I could use a hit to survive this offense.
Maybe a 4' bong filled with crushed ice and a big bowl. You'll be proclaiming Hill, Deacon Hill the next Kenny Anderson 5 minutes later.

I mean KF basically stated in his presser before the ISU game that parts of the playbook were closed. No sneaks, no waggles, no designed runs. I was hoping that he was playing possum, but I don't think he was. He was doing the most KF thing imaginable, telling the defense that the limited offense was even more limited.

Now BF has the entire playbook available, at least what he can get Deacon comfortable with in a week's practice with the #1s. But, with the ability to boot and play action, the defense has to be more honest. And never underestimate the value of an effective QB sneak to an offense that wants to control the ball. I want to see two 4th down conversions via sneak this week.
I think it's even more than that. Hill has spent a lot of practice running with the 1s. It's not like someone that hasn't really played with the group with whom he's playing now. Watching a fully healthy, mobile QB that throws 40 yard outs at shoulder level into the receiver's numbers is fun. Those weeks of practice will payoff now.

Nate Stanley's sneaks were far more fun than it seemed at the time. Some of the funniest football you'll ever see. I mean, who gains 9 yards on a sneak, right?

We’re all looking for something that will give us hope that our Hawks are going to make a run to finish the season. Deacon gave us a glimpse of a little bit of offensive competence and we all know that we just need a little from the offense. If the offense can can get some first downs then the defense and special teams are capable of doing enough to get wins. It’s ugly football but it’s our ugly football and we will celebrate the wins when they come. I would very much enjoy squeaking through the rest of the season winning ugly even if I have to watch them get crushed in the BIG championship game. Sure we would like to win pretty but that’s not gonna happen.

Nice article about Tyrone Tracy. Sometimes all it takes is having the right coach at the right time

Hell, I want to see Hill take it straight up the gut on 1st and 10 the first play of the game and gain 5 yds -- more than our RBs are averaging this year. Then on 2nd and 5 I want to see him go off-tackle, with the RB pushing him from behind to gain another 5 yds and a 1st down! This may sound extreme, but the Hawks are going to have to do something creative to slow down Purdue's pass rush, which already has banked 17 QB sacks which ranks #11 in the nation -- and we all know our OLine can't handle that alone.
This week, Purdue's coach said Hill "is less mobile than the previous QB"...obvious he hadn't seen McNamara play this year, and I think he may be surprised at Hill's mobility. We shall see.

I'm sure he would like to have the interception back. That was a really bad ball that shouldn't have been thrown.
And I think he had a couple other ones that defenders got their hands on too. He had no less than 3 passes he'd have liked back. Not counting throw aways. Not bashing the guy at all it was his first extended run out there. Ball is in BFs court to put a game plan out there to try and keep it simple for him to not have to make tough reads till he can handle it. Anyone have faith in BF handling any kind of gameplan? He'll have to show me first

I hope Hill surprises all of us and has a great game tomorrow. This isn't one of Purdue's better teams and we are at home. We should win it, barring that Hill doesn't end up depressing all of us instead.

I did post after the game last week that with a week's practice with the starters his timing should improve. It's like everything else practice makes perfect right? How many decades does Brian need?

Latest posts