And now about Purdue

NCHawker

I’ve watched them a few times this year. Good offense as always defense not quite as good. Hawks open as 4 points favorites. Not comfortable with this one

Nothing to see here……… move along, move along. Nothing new here as seldom do we ever see a blowout. Kirk loves close games where field position is the key factor. To be honest with our defense who can blame him.

Another 7–14-point win. Probably 27-14. Iowa D produces 3 TOs and a couple of forced punts deep in the Boil territory. Hill and the passing game produce 250 yards and 3 TDs.

Another 7–14-point win. Probably 27-14. Iowa D produces 3 TOs and a couple of forced punts deep in the Boil territory. Hill and the passing game produce 250 yards and 3 TDs.

I don't see Iowa holding Purdue down to two scores. This Iowa D isn't like the past few years. If Iowa wins they'll have to score about 4 TDs. The question is- can they?

I don't see Iowa holding Purdue down to two scores. This Iowa D isn't like the past few years. If Iowa wins they'll have to score about 4 TDs. The question is- can they?

After attending the game at Champagne last year and hearing that Purdouche now has the d-coordinator off of Illinois from last year I would expect Iowa's offense to put up about 150 yards and 6 points on two FGs. But the optimist in me sees this as the game where Brian gets back on track to 325 in a big way, where he takes a commanding lead over the number and never looks back. I hope I'm right.

Who put their schedule together? Their non-con was against a ranked Fresno State team, and then Va Tech. and Syracuse? Not even one little cupcake with frosting? They should be battle tested.

Iowa will be the best defense they face this year. They scored 17 against Wisky and 20 against Syracuse, both at home. I don't know what to make of the pummeling they gave Illinois other than that Burt did not reload the D. On the road against Iowa, I don't see them getting above 20.

Their best defensive performance was 17 points. They have given up 35, 38, and 39. Iowa should be able to get a running game going, and I like the ball coming out of Hill's hands. Whether by design or not, BF and Hill were throwing down field to WRs. That is a good sign. Big kid, big arm. Iowa got some confidence back on D and specials this past weekend.

Iowa 23
Purdue 15

The Boilers' offense provides a challenge because they are balanced and can run AND pass...at least they did vs Illinois. They rotate several RBs (including Tracy, altho I think #45 is better), and their QB wings it around but is inconsistent. It will be hard to make them one-dimensional, as Parker likes to do -- this year's DLine just doesn't seem to be able to stuff the run like Iowa's DLines of recent years. Purdue will be the most balanced, and I think best, offense Iowa has faced this year -- and that includes Penn State. They've just turned the ball over too much, and their D is vulnerable vs run AND pass if the Hawks mix it up and don't get sacked.
LIke every other game remaining on Iowa's schedule, it's gonna be a tough slog.

Iowa has statistical advantages on the defensive side. Iowa's defense according to NCAA stats is 27th nationally. Against the rush it is 66th and against the pass it is 22nd in yardage allowed. Purdue is 97th nationally on defense. Purdue's rush defense rank is 85th and its passing yds allowed is 97th. Purdue's rank on offense is 72nd nationally, but Iowa is 99th.

Purdue's 3 losses were against teams with better defenses than theirs. Syracuse ranks 6th on defense nationally and Wisconsin is ranked 43rd. Fresno State I do not have the numbers for. In those two games they scored 20 and 17 points respectively.

Special teams appears to be a plus for Iowa.

Iowa's offense according to rankings is on a par with Illinois. Illinois' ranking is 103 on offense vs 99 for Iowa. The Illinois QB has struggled and in the few highlights I've seen. D Hill, in the MSU game, would be an improvement over the Illinois QB.

It remains to be seen if the Iowa OC can out coach the Purdue defensive coordinator. I'm afraid old BF will be overly cautious in play calling. Hill might not be fast but at least he has two legs to run on rather one. Brian needs 31 points to get on track for a 25 point average so maybe he will throw caution to the wind.

Iowa has statistical advantages on the defensive side. Iowa's defense according to NCAA stats is 27th nationally. Against the rush it is 66th and against the pass it is 22nd in yardage allowed. Purdue is 97th nationally on defense. Purdue's rush defense rank is 85th and its passing yds allowed is 97th. Purdue's rank on offense is 72nd nationally, but Iowa is 99th.

Purdue's 3 losses were against teams with better defenses than theirs. Syracuse ranks 6th on defense nationally and Wisconsin is ranked 43rd. Fresno State I do not have the numbers for. In those two games they scored 20 and 17 points respectively.

Special teams appears to be a plus for Iowa.

Iowa's offense according to rankings is on a par with Illinois. Illinois' ranking is 103 on offense vs 99 for Iowa. The Illinois QB has struggled and in the few highlights I've seen. D Hill, in the MSU game, would be an improvement over the Illinois QB.

It remains to be seen if the Iowa OC can out coach the Purdue defensive coordinator. I'm afraid old BF will be overly cautious in play calling. Hill might not be fast but at least he has two legs to run on rather one. Brian needs 31 points to get on track for a 25 point average so maybe he will throw caution to the wind.
Deacon Hill is a long strider. He's got a strong arm. I don't think that will be wasted this week. Threw to the receivers more than usual last week and I foresee even more of that this week.

No one seems to be talking about our OL. It is abysmal.
In its present form, the OL will cost us some games going forward.
I'm not sure how it improves next game or this season.
If Hill can bootleg, rollout and scramble we may be able to work around the shortcomings on the line. 4 wide outs (or wide TE's) can open up the passing game as we saw at the start of the MSU game.
The key question is will our coaching staff make the changes in the packages and play calls to overcome what is a miserable OL?

Don’t plan on finding comfort for the remainder of the season.
Iowa can lose every game by 7 or win every game by 7 the rest of the way. Neither scenario would surprise me too much. Our D isn't as dominant as last yr and the O is just a total crap shoot. None of our opponents are head and shoulders better and Iowa isn't head and shoulders better then anyone.

Iowa isn't head and shoulders better then anyone.

Correction. Iowa wasn't head and shoulders better than anyone, but then Cade got hurt and Deacon came in. Now we have an identity on offense and we will utterly destroy the entire remainder of our schedule with the possible exception of Wisconsin. Then we will lose 69-2 against Michigan in Indy.

Correction. Iowa wasn't head and shoulders better than anyone, but then Cade got hurt and Deacon came in. Now we have an identity on offense and we will utterly destroy the entire remainder of our schedule with the possible exception of Wisconsin. Then we will lose 69-2 against Michigan in Indy.
I know you were being funny and hyperbolic for effect, but honestly, this isn't far off from where my head is at. If Hill just shows us what he showed against MSU, and everything else holds as is, we should beat everyone on the schedule except Wisky (toss up game with an interesting story line with Hill). Assuming we beat Purdue, then I believe the Wisky game is for the West. And, if we do fight our way to Indy, we will get destroyed by whomever survives the East guantlet. Destroyed.

I know you were being funny and hyperbolic for effect, but honestly, this isn't far off from where my head is at. If Hill just shows us what he showed against MSU, and everything else holds as is, we should beat everyone on the schedule except Wisky (toss up game with an interesting story line with Hill). Assuming we beat Purdue, then I believe the Wisky game is for the West. And, if we do fight our way to Indy, we will get destroyed by whomever survives the East guantlet. Destroyed.

I'm not being hyperbolic. That kid is an Iowa quarterback if I've ever seen one. From the moment the spermatoza hit the egg that kid was destined to play quarterback at either Iowa or Wisconsin. Wisconsin turned the coaching staff and it didn't work out for him. We don't need Joe Montana back there to be passable on offense, we just need a solid Iowa quarterback. He is that guy. There is no P5 program outside of Iowa or Wisconsin pre-Fickell where that guy would get a sniff. People think we are in line to get the next Tua or Trevor Lawrence. We're not. This guy is cut from the same cloth as Nate Chandler or Nate Stanley. He ain't gonna sniff the NFL but by hook or by crook he's gonna put up a decent season as QB for Iowa, which is no small feat. He may pull out one win against a big time Big Ten program. Stanley beat Ohio big and Chandler beat Michigan in 2003. That's his ceiling. 10 wins, might win one big game in his career. Anyone who expects more than that is nuts.

Latest posts