And now about Purdue

I'm not being hyperbolic. That kid is an Iowa quarterback if I've ever seen one. From the moment the spermatoza hit the egg that kid was destined to play quarterback at either Iowa or Wisconsin. Wisconsin turned the coaching staff and it didn't work out for him. We don't need Joe Montana back there to be passable on offense, we just need a solid Iowa quarterback. He is that guy. There is no P5 program outside of Iowa or Wisconsin pre-Fickell where that guy would get a sniff. People think we are in line to get the next Tua or Trevor Lawrence. We're not. This guy is cut from the same cloth as Nate Chandler or Nate Stanley. He ain't gonna sniff the NFL but by hook or by crook he's gonna put up a decent season as QB for Iowa, which is no small feat. He may pull out one win against a big time Big Ten program. Stanley beat Ohio big and Chandler beat Michigan in 2003. That's his ceiling. 10 wins, might win one big game in his career. Anyone who expects more than that is nuts.
He's better than both Nates. No disrespect to both Nates

Did you see Hill on TV? That dude has a TON of dawg in him. There was a lot of F yeahs and fist pumps after plays, Nates 1 & 2 never did that. Stanley literally had feces running down his legs anytime we played a big opponent but Deke feeds on that. You can tell.

He's got Drew Tate's moxy in Ben Roethlisberger's body. If we can somehow, any how, for the love of Mohammed find a way to block for this guy we're going to be Iowa again.

The amount of positivity judged off of 3.5 quarters of play is astounding me. A week ago, this Board wanted to tar and feather the Ferentz' and forfeit the rest of the season. Now we are booking tickets to Indy.

To be clear, I prefer the optimism and I am cautiously optimistic that Cade's injury will be a good thing for Iowa in the long term. But man, just baffling to see how much difference a week makes.

If against Purdue Hill goes 17-25 for 240, no INTs and 2 TDs, I will guzzle the koolaid. Right now I am sipping gingerly.

The receivers are going to get the ball and they need to catch the ball. If so, I also believe we will see some improvement in the offense. Hill looked mobile, so moving the pocket is possible. It's been three and a quarter seasons since we saw a guy that could move around, Nate Stanley. It's been 2016 since we've seen a QB that was a good runner, healthy Bethard. Maybe Hill is a good runner. He's huge and looked agile. Not a burner but I guy that could see opportunities for infantry duty and make a positive play.

The other thing is the gun. The gun is NFL level. Time will tell but in his first real game play Deacon threw a lot like Ricky Stanzi. Very tight spirals coming in hot. I mean Nate S threw hard and Hill throws harder.

It seems like he and the team appear very bonded. The most excitement running through the group than we've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
The amount of positivity judged off of 3.5 quarters of play is astounding me. A week ago, this Board wanted to tar and feather the Ferentz' and forfeit the rest of the season. Now we are booking tickets to Indy.
College sports is supposed to be an emotional roller coaster. People have to have something to cling to.

Hill is good. That’s truth.

The receivers are going to get the ball and they need to catch the ball. If so, I also believe we will see some improvement in the offense. Hill looked mobile, so moving the pocket is possible. It's been three and a season and quarter since we saw a guy that could move around, Nate Stanley. It's been 2016 since we've seen a QB that was a good runner, healthy Bethard. Maybe Hill is a good runner. He's huge and looked agile. Not a burner but I guy that could see opportunities for infantry duty and make a positive play.

The other thing is the gun. The gun is NFL level. Time will tell but in his first real game play Deacon threw a lot like Ricky Stanzi. Very tight spirals coming in hot. I mean Nate S threw hard and Hill throws harder.

It seems like he and the team appear very bonded. The most excitement running through the group than we've seen in a long time.
Damn. This is a good post from a guy who has been there.

Purdue is an interesting team to watch, and we can't sleep on them.

Walters is a coach that understands how to quietly motivate his players, and you can see the high effort on both sides of the ball. I thought Card was a great pick up for them. He can play. I remember when I saw his name in the portal, that he should be a guy that we aggressively pursue.

What I find interesting is the OL blocking scheme, and the activity of the defensive players at the point of attack. The offensive line moves laterally but angles back frequently to basically trap the defensive players on the move. It's almost a hybrid of the zone and power schemes, and their running backs flow and look for the openings. It's effective.

The defensive players seemingly are taught to slip blocks more than engaging and shedding. As a result, the defensive player either ends up in great position while the offensive lineman or TE completely wiffs, or they end up out of position. But, even when out of position, there is enough rally to the ball that frequently their teammates are able to clean it up.

I'm not sure how much of that is directly attributable to Walters but it seems to work. We'll have our work cut out for us.

Nothing to see here……… move along, move along. Nothing new here as seldom do we ever see a blowout. Kirk loves close games where field position is the key factor. To be honest with our defense who can blame him.
Can blame him for the conservative offense putting the D on the field too much. Nice to rely on a defense but to tire them out and risk injury more is not good. Against the real teams we lose time of possession so it would be nice to win that this week. Let's see Purdue have the ball for 25 minutes.

College sports is supposed to be an emotional roller coaster. People have to have something to cling to.

Hill is good. That’s truth.
Agree 100%. If Iowa shits the bed against Purdue, the fans will want to chain HIll's body to BF and toss them both in the river.

That said, it feels like this season is more edgy than most, right? I think fans are sort of tired of KF, but if he keeps winning we can't quit him. Makes for more spice than a normal season.

To be clear, I prefer the optimism and I am cautiously optimistic that Cade's injury will be a good thing for Iowa in the long term. But man, just baffling to see how much difference a week makes.

If against Purdue Hill goes 17-25 for 240, no INTs and 2 TDs, I will guzzle the koolaid. Right now I am sipping gingerly.

You could kind of see it if Hill lit it up, but he didn't. The offense scuffled the whole game, and Hill didn't really make any standout plays with arms or legs.

But I am with you, hope is a good thing. If nothing else, the season feels more interesting now, and that is something.

You could kind of see it if Hill lit it up, but he didn't. The offense scuffled the whole game, and Hill didn't really make any standout plays with arms or legs.

But I am with you, hope is a good thing. If nothing else, the season feels more interesting now, and that is something.
Not disagreeing with you, but was it that Hill didn't make any standout plays or that the inability of the receivers to catch the ball had more to do with that then Hill did. I tend to give Hill the benefit of the doubt and will wait to see how he looks against Purdue.

Not disagreeing with you, but was it that Hill didn't make any standout plays or that the inability of the receivers to catch the ball had more to do with that then Hill did. I tend to give Hill the benefit of the doubt and will wait to see how he looks against Purdue.

I think his best play was the would-have-been 3rd and long conversion in the 4th quarter that hit Brown right in the chest and was dropped.

We saw 3 drops that could have extended drives and allowed Hill to show even more. I guess as relevant is that I don't remember Hill throwing a really bad ball--either in decision or accuracy. Again, I need a bit more evidence before I am getting overly excited, but there is enough there to have hope.

Same here... Show me first. I'm not predicting greatness from the guy. But I'll jump off my couch with joy if he ends up being great. He'll need WRs to actually catch the ball.

Wouldn't Cade have to be the most unluckiest SOB out there to get Wally Pipped twice?

Same here... Show me first. I'm not predicting greatness from the guy. But I'll jump off my couch with joy if he ends up being great. He'll need WRs to actually catch the ball.

Wouldn't Cade have to be the most unluckiest SOB out there to get Wally Pipped twice?
He could be the Steve DeBerg of college football. Although I guess Deberg didn't actually get hurt when he kept getting replaced by NFL hall of fame QB's. Got replaced by Joe Montanna, John Elway, and Steve Young, on 3 straight teams he played for.

He could be the Steve DeBerg of college football. Although I guess Deberg didn't actually get hurt when he kept getting replaced by NFL hall of fame QB's. Got replaced by Joe Montanna, John Elway, and Steve Young, on 3 straight teams he played for.

In another post I specifically said that Deacon is NOT Joe Montana, but I do like the way you mentioned Elway and Young. I don't think he's as mobile as them, but he is a lot to bring down and clearly has arm strength and accuracy on par with Elway.

In fairness I recommend booking tickets to Indy every year. I do not recommend it this year. While we are all but certain to be there, I don't want to watch this team against a blue blood again until we get a few more key bodies on the roster.

Anyway, now is the time to be positive. Hill looks like an Iowa QB. He'll be fine. This is realistically Ferentz's last opportunity at a really exceptional year and everyone save for the most grizzled anti-Ferentz bandwagoners want to see him have a great year.

If you want to see negativity, wait until next August when I begin pontificating about all the dudes we lost and how brutal our schedule is.

Latest posts