Amani Jones to DE

But if he's regarded as a top 10 or even 20 pick in next year's NFL draft, he'd be a fool to not leave after this season.

Just because some have different priorities does not make them a fool. If a player happened to put a great value on his college football experience, and was willing to assume the risk of losing money to reap that value, who are we to call them a fool?

I love this move. I like Jones and think he can be an absolute beast on the d-line. I think the LB position just moved too fast for him.

I think it creates a monster pass rush.

1) Raider: Amani, Golston, Nixon, AJE.
2) 4-3 base look. Amani lines up as an LB behind AJE. If he blitzes, that side of the opposing OL can’t double team them both. With a head of steam headed at the QB, he is going to run over a lot of OG’s. Maybe he gets there, maybe not quite, but I suspect he has the QB thinking about backside protections and could have an effect on the quality of the throw...

3) line 5 guys up on the LOS in the Raider package. Maybe Amani, Golston, AJE, ZVV and Waggoner. 4 of the 5 attack the QB and a different guy drops back into coverage each time. I am thinking that could create some confusion both in the QB’s reads and the OL. Maybe it forces a big mistake and we get a free shot at the QB. Maybe the ball comes out and we are going the other way!

Last edited:
IIRC Amani Jones is built a bit like former Michigan stud Brandon Graham?

Could be a solid below the radar move.

Speaking of D ends. Anyone see AJs quote when asked about the NFL? I really wouldn't be surprised if he stayed another year.

If he stays at Iowa for his SR year he will move toward the top of a very short list for most popular Hawkeye football players ever.

He passed on the blue-bloods for Iowa, huge production while not complaining about not starting, and stays for his SR even though he is the best NFL prospect of the KF era at a premium position.

But if he's regarded as a top 10 or even 20 pick in next year's NFL draft, he'd be a fool to not leave after this season.

Since people seem to be ignoring this post I thought I'd quote it and reply.
In truth college kids can only guess where they will be picked. IIRC King was projected much higher in the draft than he went and I don't know that CJB was predicted in the 3rd round. Suffice it to say that being regarded as this or that doesn't guarantee anything. Yet, if he earns the recognition we expect and then enters his senior season with major hype, in theory he could improve his position. And yes, I agree the opposite could happen. But that supports my point you can't predict the future so whatever he chooses will be right for him.

Just because some have different priorities does not make them a fool. If a player happened to put a great value on his college football experience, and was willing to assume the risk of losing money to reap that value, who are we to call them a fool?

I wouldn't call him a fool if he stays, that's just a figure of speech. If he's slotted as a top 10 guy, passes on the NFL draft, then suffers a serious knee injury, I believe he and his family would regret it.

I wouldn't begrudge him going through the whole college experience and, selfishly, hope comes back his senior year.

I wouldn't call him a fool either to his face because he would kick my ass in 2 seconds.

Wallace said Jones can also drop in coverage and give Iowa 3-4 look.

I would love a 4-2-5 base, and 3-4/Raider packages. LOVE the direction the defense is going since the departure of Jewel, Bower, and Niemann. Let the playmakers on this D play!

Little worried that his short frame may work against him and not allow him to bulk up more to sustain the physicality of line play, but early reports sound good. It'd be much easier to point him towards the ball and say "Git'em" than having to worry about him overpursuing or filling the wrong gap.

All American Sutton Smith from N IL is 6’0” and 234#. Although he played at the MAC level and the Hawks abused him, he’s still rated a top 3 rounds NFL pick.

I wouldn't call him a fool if he stays, that's just a figure of speech. If he's slotted as a top 10 guy, passes on the NFL draft, then suffers a serious knee injury, I believe he and his family would regret it.

I wouldn't begrudge him going through the whole college experience and, selfishly, hope comes back his senior year.

I wouldn't call him a fool either to his face because he would kick my ass in 2 seconds.

If he got hurt and it cost him an NFL career, he probably would regret it. But the odds of that are pretty damn slim. You shouldn't live your life if fear of something that has suck a small likelyhood of happening. Even tho the ramifications of if it did happen make it virtually impossible not to fear it. On the flip side, if he does leave early, he might very well live the rest of his life regretting missing his senior year.

All American Sutton Smith from N IL is 6’0” and 234#. Although he played at the MAC level and the Hawks abused him, he’s still rated a top 3 rounds NFL pick.

That was one of the guys that came to mind for me when I heard about the switch. As they said, they are not going to ask Amani to line up on the strong side and hold ground vs. an OT, but if they put him in situations to use his athleticism, this could be fun.

If they are going this with Jones, you know he is not the only LB they are experimenting with. I wonder who else is getting a look as a stand-up edge defender?

Parker and company are creating a monster defense.
When you have a guy like AJ, and then a guy like Amani who might (and can) drop into coverage or shoot the gap and bring the wood on a qb or rb, plus a stud at the cash position (who will that be?). Plus a pedigree on DL and db's.
Well I think something very special is happening on defense at Iowa.
It would seem our offensive coaches and players have their work cut out for them to start carrying their weight.

Latest posts