Amani Jones to DE

StanziUSA

Per CL @ Hawkcentral, Amani has been working with the DEs. I like this considering he’s very powerful and low to the ground. He’d be a quicker DE and he wouldn’t have to worry about being exposed in the passing defense as a liability. Hits very hard so why the hell not?

Per CL @ Hawkcentral, Amani has been working with the DEs. I like this considering he’s very powerful and low to the ground. He’d be a quicker DE and he wouldn’t have to worry about being exposed in the passing defense as a liability. Hits very hard so why the hell not?
I love this move!

Little worried that his short frame may work against him and not allow him to bulk up more to sustain the physicality of line play, but early reports sound good. It'd be much easier to point him towards the ball and say "Git'em" than having to worry about him overpursuing or filling the wrong gap.

Little worried that his short frame may work against him and not allow him to bulk up more to sustain the physicality of line play, but early reports sound good. It'd be much easier to point him towards the ball and say "Git'em" than having to worry about him overpursuing or filling the wrong gap.
I agree, but someone who loves football as much as it looks like when he’s screaming and smiling running down on kickoff during games, there’s always a spot for that type of player.

I hope this goes well for him and he gets a lot of playing time.
Great kid, super athletic, and quite possibly the best teammate we've seen on the Hawks for a long time.

Seriously good move here. He's needs to pair down his responsibilities and what he's seeing...and moving Golston inside and allowing him to just go to the QB, is a good move. Honestly...does anyone think that if he is blocked initially...that he's going to stop...he's going to be a nightmare if the QB starts to scramble. He's playing whistle to whistle with attitude. You can't have enough of those guys IMO.

I really like this move for Amani...as he was already 250...and getting him to 260 isn't going to be a stretch.

Wallace said Jones can also drop in coverage and give Iowa 3-4 look.

HA! I almost made a wise crack about Iowa switching to a 3-4 with him being a drop end/OLB. That actually seems to be the perfect position for him. As a Browns fan, he reminds me a lot of a rookie they had last year, Genard Avery (6'0 250 vs. Jones, who is 6'0 240). Didn't exactly excel in any single position, but played with an incredible motor and was someone they couldn't keep off the field because of production. It just took some creativity by the DC to make it work, which is why I said in my previous post that I really do love this move.

I like it. He wouldnt be an every down guy. For certain situations he could certainly put his head down and chase QBs. I think he struggled with his assignments and reading his keys at times. This can really narrow it down for him to say hey go chase the ball.

I likey. Jones is fast and bull headed strong. He will be very hard for an OT to stop. Plus the benefit of a coverage DE and the ability to open up about 15 different zone coverages. Also someone who can effectively spy a running QB at the LOS. If used smartly this could really impact games. Let's hope that Parker uses these schemes at the perfect times.

I have no idea how this will work out, but wasn't Leroy Smith like 6ft 215 when he was an all-american for Iowa?

Love this move. Turn him loose to make plays on 3rd and long downs. They will also be able to bring a LB or CB instead as well and drop Jones onto coverage to give different looks.

He must pretty much said everything he loves and needs is at Iowa so why not enjoy living in the moment instead of thinking about the future.

This is the same guy that turned down blue bloods to live his dream. Its guys like that who have a chance to stay all 4 years. Turning down Alabama and turning down the NFL for one more year takes a similar love for Iowa.

He must pretty much said everything he loves and needs is at Iowa so why not enjoy living in the moment instead of thinking about the future.

This is the same guy that turned down blue bloods to live his dream. Its guys like that who have a chance to stay all 4 years. Turning down Alabama and turning down the NFL for one more year takes a similar love for Iowa.

But if he's regarded as a top 10 or even 20 pick in next year's NFL draft, he'd be a fool to not leave after this season.

Latest posts