All of a sudden - losing 4 of the last 5 seems possible

I have watched maybe 20% of the season, maybe less, and I don't regret it at all. Even when the Hawks were in the Top 5 and in control of the BIG I didn't invest any time because I knew the patented Fran Free Fall was inevitable. Unless you play in the NFL, you never want to peak in late January.

While I'm in total agreement that we nuke ourselves every year, and after watching games for 35 years I still get mad to an unhealthy level every time we lose.

That said, you have zero credibility to call yourself a Hawkeye fan nor have you earned the right to join in our miserableness.

Your type of "fan" is the absolute lowest of the low. Even Husker and ISU fans rate higher than you because even though they are true turds, at least they have the sack to root for their teams when they suck. You seem like one of those mouth breathers who start showing up and cheering at high school football games only when the team starts winning. A Seahawks or Panthers board might be a better place for you to fit in.

4 out of 5 seems a certainty not a possibility. Fran needs to study izzo about closing hard and having his team peaking in March.

It would help Fran if he had as much talent on his team as Izzo does every year. He'd have to arrange that for starters.

4 out of 5 seems a certainty not a possibility. Fran needs to study izzo about closing hard and having his team peaking in March.

I'm looking for that one win out of the last 5. Ohio State on the road? Maybe. Indiana at home? After 1 days' rest? With this team's legs shot? Nope. Michigan on the road...where Iowa has always had a tough time winning? Unlikely. Fran should just have them shooting free throws today and tomorrow...no running, no practicing. Have them play video games, whiffle ball or something.

The conference title is gone. Double bye in the BTT likely gone. A tourney game in Des Moines...gone. I think they are now looking at a 6-7 seed or worse. Unless they get their collective acts together it could be a one and done.

Maybe they can turn things around, but I have my doubts. Once the mojo is gone it is extremely hard to get it back.

Getting more production from the bench would reduce some minutes for some of the starters. The bench has not contributed much in February games.

Can someone, anyone, please post stats of late season collapses. So tired of hearing about it when it's happened once in the first 5 years. It's looking like it will be 2 out of 6 shortly but the virdict isn't officially in yet. Also why does no one talk about how Fran got his team to over achieve by a long ways for the first half of Big 10 play 2 times? Because that's really what happened this year and 2 years ago.
2 out of the last 3 years is bad enough.

Can someone, anyone, please post stats of late season collapses. So tired of hearing about it when it's happened once in the first 5 years. It's looking like it will be 2 out of 6 shortly but the virdict isn't officially in yet. Also why does no one talk about how Fran got his team to over achieve by a long ways for the first half of Big 10 play 2 times? Because that's really what happened this year and 2 years ago.

Because that doesn't fit the narrative of "whoa is us".

One collapse (or even 2 if bad things continue this year) is not really a trend. And Fran gets a pass from me in '14, cause I can't even imagine going through something like that.

If we win 2 of the next 3 (admittedly, won't be easy), we will have a grand total of 1 "bad" loss in 3 months.

I believe you intended this to be a positive - to ask people to show a little appreciation for Iowa's moments - but, in the big picture, it really comes off as sort of McCarney-esque, in a "bowl champion" sort of way. I mean, in the end, if over-achievement is the goal, Minnesota and Penn State should be praised for their respective upsets as much as Iowa's mid-season championships.

Nonetheless, I actually did talk about Iowa's over achieving quite a bit here
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/show...all-and-take&p=1496063&viewfull=1#post1496063

and here
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/show...the-question&p=1496120&viewfull=1#post1496120

Now, I referenced it in the context of the entire season -- the one that actually goes through early March and the 2nd one that starts in mid-March -- so, adding that perspective seems to tick most off 'round here.

Fact is, I'm right there with everyone in appreciating Iowa's over-achieving moments. Between 2015-16 football and basketball, it's been an unprecedented run of over-achievement. It's just that, as usual, it's short-lived and fleeting.

It's the plight of being an Iowa fan - premature, jacked-up elation.

The thing is Still, this "premature, jacked-up elation" isn't and Iowa thing, this is a "everyone except the elite blue bloods in their respect sports" thing.

There should be a registry for those bandwagon fans who only show up and only post rosy stuff when things are going really well. And another registry for those who are so quick to meltdown and bail on the whole season after a loss or two.

Anyone in either registry should have their posts screened.

Hawks are limping home. They look like they could lose 4 of the last 5... its not out the question for them to lose 5 straight.

I fear you are correct. Our play the last 4 games has looked FAR too much like 2013-14. Playing well enough to stay in the game, but not well enough to really do anything special. The unforced turnovers, missed free throws, Uthoff pressing too much a la Marble....

Hoping we can get it turned, but confidence is hard to come by.

There should be a registry for those bandwagon fans who only show up and only post rosy stuff when things are going really well. And another registry for those who are so quick to meltdown and bail on the whole season after a loss or two.

Anyone in either registry should have their posts screened.

There would only be about 15 posters on this site if that happened. I'm proud to say I believe I would make the cut.

Other teams have had a string of bad losses or have lost themselves a bit at the end of the year and still had a good run in the tourney. Do I have concern, maybe a bit, but, I don't think we should be on an edge ready to jump off. That's rediculous.

Other teams have had a string of bad losses or have lost themselves a bit at the end of the year and still had a good run in the tourney. Do I have concern, maybe a bit, but, I don't think we should be on an edge ready to jump off. That's rediculous.

Can you offer examples? Not trying to be confrontational. It's just that I can think of several that have a rough stretch through a handful of games in December - January, even early Feb, but I can't recall a single one that began their struggles in February and bounced back to get past the round of 32, let alone, make a good run.

Can you offer examples? Not trying to be confrontational. It's just that I can think of several that have a rough stretch through a handful of games in December - January, even early Feb, but I can't recall a single one that began their struggles in February and bounced back to get past the round of 32, let alone, make a good run.

1997 Arizona
2003 Syracuse
1989 Michigan
2013 Louisville
1988 Kansas
2011 UConn

While I'm in total agreement that we nuke ourselves every year, and after watching games for 35 years I still get mad to an unhealthy level every time we lose.

That said, you have zero credibility to call yourself a Hawkeye fan nor have you earned the right to join in our miserableness.

Your type of "fan" is the absolute lowest of the low. Even Husker and ISU fans rate higher than you because even though they are true turds, at least they have the sack to root for their teams when they suck. You seem like one of those mouth breathers who start showing up and cheering at high school football games only when the team starts winning. A Seahawks or Panthers board might be a better place for you to fit in.

And this is the reason I don't blame the guy who is only watching 20% of the games this year. I've had to step away from watching the football and basketball teams at times. If that makes me a bad fan so be it, but its helped me quite a bit. That Rose Bowl disaster would have sent me over the falls 3 years ago. Way too emotionally invested for too long. Now I actually enjoy watching games and am able to laugh it off when they fall on their faces and still enjoy my afternoon/evening.

Geez people. Chill out!!!

Signed,
The Sky is Falling

PCFV01P10_15.jpg