All of a sudden - losing 4 of the last 5 seems possible

hwks1

Hawks are limping home. They look like they could lose 4 of the last 5... its not out the question for them to lose 5 straight.

It really doesn't matter / hasn't mattered for 3 weeks. They weren't going to win the BTT and were likely to lose in the round of 32 (an outside shot to make the Sweet16), anyway.

They never have had smart, reliable and productive enough guard play to make a deep tourney run. Now that Uthoff is collapsing, it's all but guaranteed they'll have a short dance.

If they do, Fran's seat is going to start getting warm. February and March is for closers, and Fran hasn't shown any ability to win when games start to really matter. I don't think they well, but past performances say that there's a nonzero chance of it.

I'm totally serious now when I say that I don't think we win any of the last three games. If we can't beat Penn State, or Wisconsin at home, how are we going to win on the road against tOSU and Michigan, and home against an Indiana team that is far more talented than PSU and Wisky. Sadly, I don't think we will even be ranked anymore come BTT time.

I have watched maybe 20% of the season, maybe less, and I don't regret it at all. Even when the Hawks were in the Top 5 and in control of the BIG I didn't invest any time because I knew the patented Fran Free Fall was inevitable. Unless you play in the NFL, you never want to peak in late January.

I have watched maybe 20% of the season, maybe less, and I don't regret it at all. Even when the Hawks were in the Top 5 and in control of the BIG I didn't invest any time because I knew the patented Fran Free Fall was inevitable. Unless you play in the NFL, you never want to peak in late January.

You missed a lot of great Hawkeye Basketball then.

They are running on shot legs. They either spend too much time in the gym outside of practice or Fran's running them way too hard during practice. Or a combination of both. This has happened at the end of too many seasons for it to be a coincidence. Fran better figure out how to keep them rested long enough to last until April 15th. Or he won't make it in this conference very long.

Not likely, Iowa has the best overall player, best shooter, best rebounder, and the most experience in the conference. I believe that they win out.

They are running on shot legs. They either spend too much time in the gym outside of practice or Fran's running them way too hard during practice. Or a combination of both. This has happened at the end of too many seasons for it to be a coincidence. Fran better figure out how to keep them rested long enough to last until April 15th. Or he won't make it in this conference very long.

Can someone, anyone, please post stats of late season collapses. So tired of hearing about it when it's happened once in the first 5 years. It's looking like it will be 2 out of 6 shortly but the virdict isn't officially in yet. Also why does no one talk about how Fran got his team to over achieve by a long ways for the first half of Big 10 play 2 times? Because that's really what happened this year and 2 years ago.

Can someone, anyone, please post stats of late season collapses. So tired of hearing about it when it's happened once in the first 5 years. It's looking like it will be 2 out of 6 shortly but the virdict isn't officially in yet. Also why does no one talk about how Fran got his team to over achieve by a long ways for the first half of Big 10 play 2 times? Because that's really what happened this year and 2 years ago.

It isn't the norm PC it's just stupid talk.

I wouldn't let you know in fact my comment to you would be good riddance, don't ever come back the University and the Iowa Men's Basketball program is fine without you, honestly they don't need a fan like you! Seriously if what these players have done this season hasn't engaged you than nothing will. lol seriously what a joke of a fan! Too damn funny the stupid **** I read on this site. Also to the person who gave thumbs up to ya, don't let the door hit you in the *** either!

I believe you intended this to be a positive - to ask people to show a little appreciation for Iowa's moments - but, in the big picture, it really comes off as sort of McCarney-esque, in a "bowl champion" sort of way. I mean, in the end, if over-achievement is the goal, Minnesota and Penn State should be praised for their respective upsets as much as Iowa's mid-season championships.

Nonetheless, I actually did talk about Iowa's over achieving quite a bit here
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/show...all-and-take&p=1496063&viewfull=1#post1496063

and here
http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/show...the-question&p=1496120&viewfull=1#post1496120

Now, I referenced it in the context of the entire season -- the one that actually goes through early March and the 2nd one that starts in mid-March -- so, adding that perspective seems to tick most off 'round here.

Fact is, I'm right there with everyone in appreciating Iowa's over-achieving moments. Between 2015-16 football and basketball, it's been an unprecedented run of over-achievement. It's just that, as usual, it's short-lived and fleeting.

It's the plight of being an Iowa fan - premature, jacked-up elation.

4 out of 5 seems a certainty not a possibility. Fran needs to study izzo about closing hard and having his team peaking in March.

Because it means nothing.

Zero.

Nothing. At. All.

That's like saying "Well, we tried really really hard," or getting a participation trophy. In fact, Iowa led 3/4ths of the way through the game but still lost. I don't call that a great game just because it went well at the beginning.

If you want to be one of those eternally optimistic "enjoy the ride" folks that's 100% fine by me. I wish I could do that because it'd be less stressful. But in basketball (and football) what counts is finishing down the stretch of a long season, not what you did in December. Michigan State is a perfect example. They were on the skids, dropped 3 in a row, and all but counted out of postseason hopes by everyone. What did they do? They hung tough, were led by a proven coach, and have won 7 of 8 when games really matter. Now they have a full head of steam running into both tournaments. Something Iowa repeatedly fails to do. If you want me to use stats to argue the difference between "sort of mediocre" and "kind of mediocre" I'm not going to waste my time with that.

And to add to your point about the first half of the season, would we then by your logic say Michigan State sucks because they lost a ton of games the first half of the B10 schedule? No. Because that kind of thing means bupkis about success; winning when you need to does.

Latest posts