Alford to Nevada

Alford has done pretty well at the mid-major level. Not a bad hire for Nevada IMO, despite what we all think of SA.

Thing is - Alford will probably do well there and then get hired by N. Carolina when Roy Williams retires, where he will inevitably fall short of expectations. Or some attractive job like that. Slick Steve always has a way of working his way into good gigs.

SWMS - success
Iowa - fail
New Mexico - success
UCLA - fail
Nevada - we shall see
After that?? Who knows.

If I were Alford - I would stay at the mid-major level where he can compete. He has to have enough money already. Though his ego will probably dictate that he try to get back into a power conference again.

Alford has done pretty well at the mid-major level. Not a bad hire for Nevada IMO, despite what we all think of SA.

Thing is - Alford will probably do well there and then get hired by N. Carolina when Roy Williams retires, where he will inevitably fall short of expectations. Or some attractive job like that. Slick Steve always has a way of working his way into good gigs.

SWMS - success
Iowa - fail
New Mexico - success
UCLA - fail
Nevada - we shall see
After that?? Who knows.

If I were Alford - I would stay at the mid-major level where he can compete. He has to have enough money already. Though his ego will probably dictate that he try to get back into a power conference again.
Remember, where he "failed" it wasn't really his fault, so he will most certainly be looking to move on up to prove that he is more than Indiana high school stories, championship talk, slick hair, and Bible quotes.

The only place he really failed was Iowa and that not due to results. Failure is different than so so.

In 24 seasons, SA has coached his teams to the NCAA Tournament 11 times with an 11-11 overall record (1-3 at Iowa with 3 appearances in 7 seasons).

He reached the Sweet 16 four times (three with UCLA, 1 with SMS) and the Round of 32 three times. He lost in the first round four times, including in the First Four with UCLA last season.

SWMS - success
Iowa - fail
New Mexico - success
UCLA - fail
Nevada - we shall see
After that?? Who knows.

We will see how long Indiana is patient with Archie Miller. There is still a chance Indiana is his next landing spot although given his mentor doesn't want anything to do with Indiana, Alfraud may not either.

In 24 seasons, SA has coached his teams to the NCAA Tournament 11 times with an 11-11 overall record (1-3 at Iowa with 3 appearances in 7 seasons).

He reached the Sweet 16 four times (three with UCLA, 1 with SMS) and the Round of 32 three times. He lost in the first round four times, including in the First Four with UCLA last season.
In 23 seasons, Fran has coached his teams to the NCAA tournament 9 times with a 5-9 overall record (3-4 at Iowa with 4 appearances in 9 seasons).

He reached the Round of 32 five times. He lost in the first round four times, including in the First Four with Iowa in the '13/'14 season.

Asshat to Nevada..Remember running into ol Stevie at a youth tournament in the Quad Cities years ago. What a tool. He was way too important to talk to anyone or even say hello to the kids who saw him there.

giphy.gif

In 23 seasons, Fran has coached his teams to the NCAA tournament 9 times with a 5-9 overall record (3-4 at Iowa with 4 appearances in 9 seasons).

He reached the Round of 32 five times. He lost in the first round four times, including in the First Four with Iowa in the '13/'14 season.

Alford coached at UCLA where recruiting takes care of itself to an extent. Put Fran there during those years and he'd probably have had a similar level of success (or non-success).

SA is the worst example of "win at all costs." His methods are sleazy on a good day and even then, he's just not very damned good. Perhaps his next gig will be in some states penal league.... or penile league. As he is definitely a dick.

I don't know why, but it just seems kind of like an odd fit. Kind of shows the coaching stock that is available. For all of those people who want their coach fired at the end of every season, put that into perspective. There is no guarantee a great one is going to agree to go to your town & coach.

Stevie will blame everyone except himself when the losing starts at Nevada. I'm sure he is expecting a free pool built behind his house, free clothing allowance, free hair cut's...... free, free, free everything for the Alfrauds.....

Why would any sane AD hire him looking at his past track record?!?!? Mind boggling!!!
You mean like what they do at most big time schools? You do realize 99% of the alford stuff was embellished. Right?

SWMS - success
Iowa - fail
New Mexico - success
UCLA - fail
Nevada - we shall see
After that?? Who knows.

I wouldn't call New Mexico "success". He won...until it counted. Then, he didn't.