Alford joins the sleeze...

I am not exactly sure where you read into any hate on my part. I was pointing out that if Negedu committed prior to an open scholarship then there is room for the argument.

I agree that there could be room for an argument.. but I guess I am looking at the bigger picture that Alford has a program to run, and if he is approached by a really good player that can make his team better and he has to cut a kid loose in order to do it, I see nothing wrong with it. Alford seems like the type of person that would do it without an excuse (such as violation of team rules).

And as for the hate... I wasn't meaning "you" as in yooouuuu... I was referring to the posters on here who are adamantly against Alford and wanting to see him fall on his face and prove the UNM fans wrong. I understood what you were saying, I was just making a counter argument.

better yet maybe he learned something from that entire situation. sorry that doesnt fit your flame, i know. i am sure you are quite perfect, lol.

Lets not kid ourselves into thinking that Steve is now "The Enforcer" when it comes to team rules. He no doubt learned soemthing from the PP issues, but he hardly has a record of no tolerance when it comes to team rules violation.

Techincally/Leagally Alford is okay in his actions. Regardless, if this hot prospect wasn't in the pipeline the player affected likely keeps his scholly. In my opinion this deal stinks...

If I was motivated - I'd post a pic of beating the dead horse.
Over and over and over and over and over again...

here ya go
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

HAHAHA. I would have given anything to win 31 games and win an NCAA tourney game...unreal how bitter some of you are. He is gone, get over it.

This post is simply classic, lol.

Yeah there are some Iowa Fans that just can't let it go and try to bash him at every turn even it is calls for making stuff up...kind of like the same crap was done when he was at Iowa.

HAHAHA. I would have given anything to win 31 games and win an NCAA tourney game...unreal how bitter some of you are. He is gone, get over it.

This post is simply classic, lol.

If you look past the "honeymooon is over" part of this post it is really pretty accurate. New Mexico was severely overseeded in the tourney, squeaked by their "inferior" opponent in Rd 1 and proceeded to get smoked in the 2nd rd. You can look at 31 games and say that's an accomplishment, but the end result should not leave a particularly good taste in any NM fan's mouth. And I agree with the original poster they will not get ranked as high this upcoming season because the voters will remember their struggles in the tourney

If you look past the "honeymooon is over" part of this post it is really pretty accurate. New Mexico was severely overseeded in the tourney, squeaked by their "inferior" opponent in Rd 1 and proceeded to get smoked in the 2nd rd. You can look at 31 games and say that's an accomplishment, but the end result should not leave a particularly good taste in any NM fan's mouth. And I agree with the original poster they will not get ranked as high this upcoming season because the voters will remember their struggles in the tourney

So everything comes down to winning in the tournament then? It's this kind of attitude that put Iowa in the position it's in. It wasn't enough for us to make the tournament(with decent seasons) on a consistent basis under Davis. We had to have more. Thank god most of us have learned from this mistake. Hopefully others will eventually. Also, remember that it's New Mexico. They're not going to take seasons for granted like high major programs would. I guarantee you that the average NM fan is anticipating the upcoming season. Not crying about what happened in the tournament.

Also, voters don't look at how you performed in one game to determine what your preseason ranking will be. They look more at the overall season you had and who you have returning. They will be in the Top 25.

So everything comes down to winning in the tournament then? It's this kind of attitude that put Iowa in the position it's in. It wasn't enough for us to make the tournament(with decent seasons) on a consistent basis under Davis. We had to have more. Thank god most of us have learned from this mistake. Hopefully others will eventually. Also, remember that it's New Mexico. They're not going to take seasons for granted like high major programs would. I guarantee you that the average NM fan is anticipating the upcoming season. Not crying about what happened in the tournament.

Also, voters don't look at how you performed in one game to determine what your preseason ranking will be. They look more at the overall season you had and who you have returning. They will be in the Top 25.

We could debate what voters will and will not consider til we're blue in the face and neither of us will be right or wrong until next bball season. I believe (what I consider to be) a poor showing in the tourney will have an affect on how a voter considers NM's success during the next regular season. You obviously do not agree, and that's fine.

I also see you're trying to play the "we didn't know how good we had it" card, while under Tom Davis. I've seen that card played a lot on this site and others like it. It must be nice to have that 20/20 hind site vision. People were ready to take the next step with the basketball program. It's only natural to want to continue to progress. No one wants to stay stagnate. Unfortunately it didn't work out the way we had all hoped and now we're rebuilding. If Alford had been the huge success everyone thought he was going to be, we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now. Just because things didn't work out doesn't mean everyone can say "I told ya so."

We could debate what voters will and will not consider til we're blue in the face and neither of us will be right or wrong until next bball season. I believe (what I consider to be) a poor showing in the tourney will have an affect on how a voter considers NM's success during the next regular season. You obviously do not agree, and that's fine.

I also see you're trying to play the "we didn't know how good we had it" card, while under Tom Davis. I've seen that card played a lot on this site and others like it. It must be nice to have that 20/20 hind site vision. People were ready to take the next step with the basketball program. It's only natural to want to continue to progress. No one wants to stay stagnate. Unfortunately it didn't work out the way we had all hoped and now we're rebuilding. If Alford had been the huge success everyone thought he was going to be, we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now. Just because things didn't work out doesn't mean everyone can say "I told ya so."

The 20/20 argument has some weight, but it was still stupid to cut Mr. Davis loose. What did we expect from the program? Final Fours every year? That's ridiculous. NO team is going to manage anything even close to that except for the bluebloods of CBB (Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc.). Nobody like Iowa is EVER going to maintain that level of success. No, you don't want to stay stagnate. But there comes a point where you really have reached your limits. Not your limits under a particular coach, but your limits as a program. Even Lute didn't take us deep all the time.

Pretty good post. I understand your point. I'm not trying to say "I told ya so" though. I'm trying to say you have to learn from your mistakes. Looking at where we are(and what we've been through), are we really going to complain if we hit a point where we have Davis-like success again? It's possible I suppose. But it won't be for a while. Because that level of success is so much better than what we have experienced the last ten years or so.

The same thing applies to New Mexico. If Alford led them to the same level year after year, it's possible they are going to get frustrated with not getting to the next level. But that's not going to happen for a while. So saying the honeymoon is over is just a ridiculous statement.

The same thing applies to New Mexico. If Alford led them to the same level year after year, it's possible they are going to get frustrated with not getting to the next level. But that's not going to happen for a while. So saying the honeymoon is over is just a ridiculous statement.

Agreed. That is also the portion of his post I did not agree with.

All I know is he won two championships at Iowa and is now winning championships at New Mexico. Talk to most of the players who played for him and they have good things to say about him.

Man, move on - that was two coaches ago. Sure he made some mistakes at Iowa, but compared to Lickliter, it was a golden era.

Considering that anything Iowa is exempt from doing bad you migth want to consider that the SOB was our coach at one point.

All I know is he won two championships at Iowa and is now winning championships at New Mexico. Talk to most of the players who played for him and they have good things to say about him.

Man, move on - that was two coaches ago. Sure he made some mistakes at Iowa, but compared to Lickliter, it was a golden era.

+1. It is almost shocking to see the hate for Alford compared to Licklter. Alford at least won at Iowa, Lickliter took us to the bottom of the big 10. Alford was well liked by his players...Lickliter was fired, left town, and never even contacted his players to speak with them.

Did he throw his arm under the bus?

LOL.

By the way, to the "move on" crowd: Alford is a national figure, and fair game here just like Calipari or Pete Carroll or Rich Rodriguez or Billy Donovan or anyone else. We talk all the time about the character of D1 coaches, and discussing Alford's character/lack of same is just as viable, all the more interesting because he's a former Iowa coach.

+1. It is almost shocking to see the hate for Alford compared to Licklter. Alford at least won at Iowa, Lickliter took us to the bottom of the big 10. Alford was well liked by his players...Lickliter was fired, left town, and never even contacted his players to speak with them.

Alford also developed a reputation for not making players attend classes and not making them do a whole lot of work in practices. That's a pretty sure way to get your players to like you. And it would also help explain the mass exodus of Alford's players when Lickliter came in. They were actually being told to do work, and didn't like it.

And as has already been mentioned, if MY players had made travel plans to Panama City Beach for the DAY AFTER THE FIRST ROUND OF THE BIG TEN TOURNEY, I wouldn't want to talk to them either.

Alford also developed a reputation for not making players attend classes and not making them do a whole lot of work in practices. That's a pretty sure way to get your players to like you. And it would also help explain the mass exodus of Alford's players when Lickliter came in. They were actually being told to do work, and didn't like it.

Really that is the first i have heard about that....maybe it is just another mith that some people like to throw out there to make SA...seriously people just need to grow up and let it go...

Latest posts