AJ Derby Gone

Here is the release from the U of I we just got...

Jan. 16, 2012

A.J. DERBY TO TRANSFER FROM IOWA

IOWA CITY, IOWA - - University of Iowa football player A.J. Derby has asked for a release from his football scholarship and will transfer from the University of Iowa. The announcement came Monday from Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz.

“A.J. has asked for his release, which has been granted,” said Ferentz. “We are sorry to see A.J. leave the program. He has been a positive member of our team and a pleasure to coach over the past two years. We wish him the best as he moves forward with his career.”

A.J. Derby added the following: “I would like to thank the University of Iowa and football coaches for the opportunity. Unfortunately, I don’t feel this is the best fit for me personally to reach my goals as a student-athlete. I especially wish my brother (Zach) the best of luck in the coming year. I will miss all of my teammates, family and friends who have supported me here. Good luck to everybody. Once a hawk, always a hawk.”

Derby played in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2011, completing three of six passes for 30 yards and recording one solo tackle on special teams.

Is this really surprising? He wanted to play QB, Iowa obviously thinks they have better options. If he didn't buy into the position change it's the only thing he could do.

Not sure when he would have ever played QB if Ruddock is as good as advertised. Hope he finds a place where he can sling the rock and good luck to him.

My guess? He wasn't as high on the depth chart as he wanted to be or he really didn't want to move away from the quarterback position.

don’t feel this is the best fit for me personally to reach my goals as a student-athlete I think that's code for "I don't like my current position on the team."

None of you may EVER doubt my mastery of the universe again.
Now bow before me. BOW!!

Latest posts