Ahron Ulis Commits to Iowa

Also for one year JBo and of course CJF will be in the mix a lot. There'll be some interesting mixing and matching next yr for sure. But the pressure for Ulis to step in right away and do a ton shouldn't be a lot. (although we didn't think Toussaint would either this yr) So anything can happen
Agreed very hard to predict at this point. Ulis and Perkins don’t look like guys who would come in and redshirt, guards typically don’t. Where the minutes come from will be the question depending on how it shakes out. The nice thing for Iowa is Toussaint and Fredrick are both freshman right now, and appear to be pretty solid with the ability to keep getting better.

Agreed very hard to predict at this point. Ulis and Perkins don’t look like guys who would come in and redshirt, guards typically don’t. Where the minutes come from will be the question depending on how it shakes out. The nice thing for Iowa is Toussaint and Fredrick are both freshman right now, and appear to be pretty solid with the ability to keep getting better.
No doubt. This will be a good problem to have for the next few yrs if that if they all pan out to be dang good then our recruiting guards may be tough. Having 4 or 5 studs that are all Sophs or younger... Again it's a good 'problem' to have.

No doubt. This will be a good problem to have for the next few yrs if that if they all pan out to be dang good then our recruiting guards may be tough. Having 4 or 5 studs that are all Sophs or younger... Again it's a good 'problem' to have.
Agree. I could actually see us saying I wish we had more outside shooting in a couple years, which is kind of ironic becuase that’s the exact opposite of what we had this year (pre-injury). But we will have Fredrick who seems pretty darn good there.

Depending how it turns out with the Murray’s both at 6’8 are reportedly good outside shooters so that could help. Peyton Sandfort is a 2021 recruit to keep an eye on. I think he will be a way less athletic version of Wieskamp but he can provide some outside shooting.

One of the things lost in all the injury stuff this year is that Pat McCaffery was a consensus top 100 recruit. I did think he was a little overrated as a recruit but his ceiling is pretty high. Reports out of practice this year from the players was he was playing very well. Not often you get to redshirt a kid like that. I think his floor is a quality starter level player.

So that core of Fredrick, P McCaffery, and, Toussaint is a pretty good starting point. Not to mention C McCaffery has two more years of eligibility left. Nunge might have 3. That’s a decent starting point for the post Garza/Wieskamp era whenever that is and means Fran only needs to hit on a couple guys in the 2020 class for us to be in good shape.

Agree. I could actually see us saying I wish we had more outside shooting in a couple years, which is kind of ironic becuase that’s the exact opposite of what we had this year (pre-injury). But we will have Fredrick who seems pretty darn good there.

Depending how it turns out with the Murray’s both at 6’8 are reportedly good outside shooters so that could help. Peyton Sandfort is a 2021 recruit to keep an eye on. I think he will be a way less athletic version of Wieskamp but he can provide some outside shooting.

One of the things lost in all the injury stuff this year is that Pat McCaffery was a consensus top 100 recruit. I did think he was a little overrated as a recruit but his ceiling is pretty high. Reports out of practice this year from the players was he was playing very well. Not often you get to redshirt a kid like that. I think his floor is a quality starter level player.

So that core of Fredrick, P McCaffery, and, Toussaint is a pretty good starting point. Not to mention C McCaffery has two more years of eligibility left. Nunge might have 3. That’s a decent starting point for the post Garza/Wieskamp era whenever that is and means Fran only needs to hit on a couple guys in the 2020 class for us to be in good shape.

I think as long as Fran doesn't completely whiff on every recruit for the next couple years, the next 3 years after this one should be anywhere from good to great. That would put Fran at 13 years with Patrick being a senior for the next. If CJ comes back this year and we keep pace to make the tourney. Then no big injuries the next 3 years, we could be looking at tournament appearances 5 years straight and 8 of the last 10. A lot has to still happen obviously for it to play out that way. But it's looking pretty good right now. He needs some better highs over the next few years. But 8 out of 10 tournaments would be remembered well when looking back at the Fran era.

I think as long as Fran doesn't completely whiff on every recruit for the next couple years, the next 3 years after this one should be anywhere from good to great. That would put Fran at 13 years with Patrick being a senior for the next. If CJ comes back this year and we keep pace to make the tourney. Then no big injuries the next 3 years, we could be looking at tournament appearances 5 years straight and 8 of the last 10. A lot has to still happen obviously for it to play out that way. But it's looking pretty good right now. He needs some better highs over the next few years. But 8 out of 10 tournaments would be remembered well when looking back at the Fran era.
Agreed. There are a few ways we can take that step into the next level if a few of the following things happen.

-Toussaint, Fredrick, P McCaffery all have the potential to develop into upper echelon players in the league. If a couple do...

-One or more guys in the 2020 class outperform their ranking by a wide margin (Fran has a decent track record here).

-Iowa brings in a high level transfer to push us to the next level (we just missed on DJ Harvey, imagine having him in the fold next year!)

-Fran lands a high 4* impact guy in 2021.

The base is there I think with our young core, it will be interesting to watch how it unfolds. Obviously it can go the other way too as we well know as Iowa fans.

I still think Fran might have a sneaky good recruiting class coming in. Losing out on Foster sucks butts though

Agreed. I haven't heard much talk about 2021 class yet outside of Sandfort. Biggest need will be a post player though. Nunge and Ogundale will be the only bigs after next year unless you include the Murray twins or PMac as a big.

If everyone does come back Fran is going to have his work cut out for him in managing all the guys we have.
Just dont play the freshmen unless they are better than a returning player. If they are, then don't play the returning player.

Just dont play the freshmen unless they are better than a returning player. If they are, then don't play the returning player.
Well when you put it that way it seems pretty simple. Don’t think it’s always that easy though.

Especially going forward if this one time transfer rule goes into effect. If you have freshman that you feel good about their futures you are probably going to want to get the minutes.

Well when you put it that way it seems pretty simple. Don’t think it’s always that easy though.

Especially going forward if this one time transfer rule goes into effect. If you have freshman that you feel good about their futures you are probably going to want to get the minutes.
Yea no way it will work out that easy. Our roster happens to be perfect for it tho if everyone is back. If we do have some upgrades from the freshmen it would be a bonus to what is already a good roster.

For the most part this season has been successful but just think how much better this team could have been if we had some depth. If these new guys can come in and at least have some production and we can stay healthy it could be a very exciting year. With the amount of wear and tear and how physical the Big10 is if the guys decide not to redshirt they will get some minutes and if the league is as tough next year they will be meaningful minutes.

If everyone does come back Fran is going to have his work cut out for him in managing all the guys we have.

I do believe the redshirts will be used. How many I have no idea. But this is a big class and Fran will want to spread them out a bit. If one or both of the murrays would accept a redshirt and then maybe one of Perkins/Uhlis then Iowa should be stocked decently for the post-garza/bohannon era.

I do believe the redshirts will be used. How many I have no idea. But this is a big class and Fran will want to spread them out a bit. If one or both of the murrays would accept a redshirt and then maybe one of Perkins/Uhlis then Iowa should be stocked decently for the post-garza/bohannon era.
If Garza was smart he would redshirt next year. Imagine how good he would be with 2 more years to improve.

I'd say it'll be more in the range of 50/50 of the two choices you mentioned. You have Bakari and Kriener's minutes that will need to be replaced. Nunge/Pemsl has yet to show they can handle a full load and Joe/CJ/Conner need another backup.

I'd say it'll be more in the range of 50/50 of the two choices you mentioned. You have Bakari and Kriener's minutes that will need to be replaced. Nunge/Pemsl has yet to show they can handle a full load and Joe/CJ/Conner need another backup.

Bohannon probably takes Bakari's minutes and maybe some from Toussaint. Based on Nunge being a starter prior to his injury, I think Nunge gets most if not all of Kriener minutes. Also have to factor in potential minutes for PMac if he is able to get in proper conditioning shape to be able to play. He is probably more of a 3 than a 4. I think there may still be a few minutes for either Perkins or Ulis. We have to see what happens with potential transfers or Garza or Wieskamp potentially leaving for the draft. Personally I dont see any departures outside of the seniors. But I could see Pemsl seeing that his minutes would be even more diminished next year and transferring.

Trying not to focus too much on sports being cancelled for the next month and think more about next season.

Latest posts