Ahron Ulis Commits to Iowa

That was Toussaint. This is our answer on missing out on Tyler Ulis. We get the bigger better version.
It'll be interesting to see who handles the ball more between them next yr and the couple after that. Funny you bring that up. Toussaints size and game will be more similar to what Tylers was then what the younger brothers will be to his.

It'll be interesting to see who handles the ball more between them next yr and the couple after that. Funny you bring that up. Toussaints size and game will be more similar to what Tylers was then what the younger brothers will be to his.

Partially true. Toussaint is a legit 6'+ though, making him closer to Ahron in size than Tyler. Tyler Ulis is 5'8.75 and never listed over 5'10. Ahron is 6'2, almost a full half a foot taller than his brother (dunks like it too, there are highlights of him throwing down oops during actual games).

I also think Toussaint is more of a bulldog than either Ulis though. The Ulis bros strike me as more finesse players. The quickness of Toussaint and Tyler is more comparable at this point, but I think the verdict is still out on Ahron as he continues to improve and gain more of the silky smooth game his brother has. However, I think Toussaint will hold down the fort next season at the very least as he'll know the system better and has already flashed his high potential.

Partially true. Toussaint is a legit 6'+ though, making him closer to Ahron in size than Tyler. Tyler Ulis is 5'8.75 and never listed over 5'10. Ahron is 6'2, almost a full half a foot taller than his brother (dunks like it too, there are highlights of him throwing down oops during actual games).

I also think Toussaint is more of a bulldog than either Ulis though. The Ulis bros strike me as more finesse players. The quickness of Toussaint and Tyler is more comparable at this point, but I think the verdict is still out on Ahron as he continues to improve and gain more of the silky smooth game his brother has. However, I think Toussaint will hold down the fort next season at the very least as he'll know the system better and has already flashed his high potential.
Nothing wrong with having two ball handlers/PGs on the floor. A lot of teams do that. We did that with Gessell and Clemmons. Uconn won a national championship with Napier and Boatwright.

It helps that A Ulis has some size so he can defend an off guard. The only issue is if they both can’t shoot it can get a little clunky out there.

Nothing wrong with having two ball handlers/PGs on the floor. A lot of teams do that. We did that with Gessell and Clemmons. Uconn won a national championship with Napier and Boatwright.

It helps that A Ulis has some size so he can defend an off guard. The only issue is if they both can’t shoot it can get a little clunky out there.

Good points, but the backcourt will feel a bit crowded if Bohannon is back next year with Ulis and Perkins being added to Connor, Fredrick, and Toussaint. I'm betting on a redshirt for at least 1 freshman next year unless Fran gets real about playing Connor at the 3 and Patrick becomes a top option at the 4.

As for shooting, I've been pretty happy with Toussaint so far. Very small sample size, but 7/12 from the floor and 2-4 from 3 is a good start. I'm hoping he can keep a 3 point shot in his arsenal to keep the floor spread. Will make it a lot easier for him to drive if teams know they have to close out on him.

Good points, but the backcourt will feel a bit crowded if Bohannon is back next year with Ulis and Perkins being added to Connor, Fredrick, and Toussaint. I'm betting on a redshirt for at least 1 freshman next year unless Fran gets real about playing Connor at the 3 and Patrick becomes a top option at the 4.

As for shooting, I've been pretty happy with Toussaint so far. Very small sample size, but 7/12 from the floor and 2-4 from 3 is a good start. I'm hoping he can keep a 3 point shot in his arsenal to keep the floor spread. Will make it a lot easier for him to drive if teams know they have to close out on him.
I was talking more a couple years down the road for the Toussaint / Ulis tandem.

Toussaint threw up a very bad brick against DePaul. Sounds like he’s putting a lot of time into his shot so hopefully it develops but I doubt he will shoot a great percentage this year from deep.

I was talking more a couple years down the road for the Toussaint / Ulis tandem.

Toussaint threw up a very bad brick against DePaul. Sounds like he’s putting a lot of time into his shot so hopefully it develops but I doubt he will shoot a great percentage this year from deep.

Then spot on. Love to have multiple ball handlers on the court. As for next year, really hoping we get to see a 2nd year Toussaint and a healthy Bohannon on the court at the same time. Same thing down the line too.

Toussaint did have the brick, but also didn't attempt any more. Against SIUE when he was more open, he hit 2 that looked pretty good and a 3rd that wasn't far off. So maybe it will never happen in high level play, but I'm hoping he'll gain confidence in it and at least be a Clemmons level shooter to keep teams a little honest.

Here’s a hypothetical 2021 lineup:

PG - Toussaint (Jr) 30 Min / Ulis (So) 10 Min

G - Ulis (So) 15 Min / CJF (RS Jr)10 Min / Perkins (RS Fr) 15 Min

G - CJF (RS JR) 20 Min / Murray1 (RS Fr) 10 Min / Murray2 (RS Fr) 10 Min

F - McCaffery (Jr) 30 Min / Murray1 (RS Fr) 10 Min

C - Nunge (RS Sr) 22 Min / Ogundele (So) 18 Min

I have no clue how good that team would be, but that roster would make a hell of a lot more sense from a positional standpoint. It would also have a lot more athleticism than we have today.

Edit: Connor must have moved onto baseball in my scenario.

Then spot on. Love to have multiple ball handlers on the court. As for next year, really hoping we get to see a 2nd year Toussaint and a healthy Bohannon on the court at the same time. Same thing down the line too.

Toussaint did have the brick, but also didn't attempt any more. Against SIUE when he was more open, he hit 2 that looked pretty good and a 3rd that wasn't far off. So maybe it will never happen in high level play, but I'm hoping he'll gain confidence in it and at least be a Clemmons level shooter to keep teams a little honest.
Idk where I’m at with Bohannon. Love his big shot making and timely threes. Love the kid. It’s just no matter where you stick him defensively it puts you behind the 8 ball. He’s just so small and can’t move laterally (even before the hip thing). Assuming Toussaint guards the better guard, if the other one has some size Bohannon would get abused.

Yeah it's a bit of a mess for Fran to try and sort out the roles for these guys. What'd be best for everyone is if JBo could play all of this year. I just wish he was closer to being 100% certain of doing so. But he looks like a shell of himself so far and like he shouldn't even be playing yet. He can't sprint. Let alone slide his feet on D (not that he was great at that to begin with) I just feel for the guy but unless he drastically gets to recovering I bet he'll start sitting and try for next yr. Which as you pointed out really jumbles up what Fran has going.

Saw that Ahron had a big weekend.

24 points in a win Friday night.

Tonight his team played Chicago’s Morgan Park which features two D1 commits including a 4* guard who Ahron matched up with and several other potential prospects and Ahron led his team to a win with 34 points.

Hopefully Fran found another under the radar stud here. Tony Perkins is off to a really good start this year as well. Iowa might have some athletic guards going forward so we might need something new to complain about.

Saw that Ahron had a big weekend.

24 points in a win Friday night.

Tonight his team played Chicago’s Morgan Park which features two D1 commits including a 4* guard who Ahron matched up with and several other potential prospects and Ahron led his team to a win with 34 points.

Hopefully Fran found another under the radar stud here. Tony Perkins is off to a really good start this year as well. Iowa might have some athletic guards going forward so we might need something new to complain about.

Nice. Hard to be "under the radar" when your older brother is who he is, but we can always hope.

If fairy tales come true and all our guys come back next year then a few of the new guys will likely redshirt. Which is also awesome

Nice. Hard to be "under the radar" when your older brother is who he is, but we can always hope.

If fairy tales come true and all our guys come back next year then a few of the new guys will likely redshirt. Which is also awesome
As you mention we really shouldn’t need a whole lot of instant impact next year from this class. On paper this class was disappointing but who knows what they will look like in a few years. Only need to hit on a couple of these guys.

I think we have a solid young nucleus outside of Garza and Wieskamp for the 2021 and future seasons with Fredrick (Fr), McCaffery (RS SO), Toussaint (Fr), P McCaffery (Fr redshirting), Nunge (RS So).

The next class will need to add another Center, Center/forward and/or a pure Power forward.
We did sign Josh Ogundele in 2020 6’10/240. Will Nunge get a medical hardship? If so we could actually have three more seasons with him at 6’11/ 250.

We might take another big in 2021. Logan Duncomb would be a name to keep an eye on. I believe he grew up an Iowa fan. Iowa has kind of been slow playing this recruitment from what I’ve gathered though for whatever reason.
https://247sports.com/Player/Logan-Duncomb-46085465/

I think we would be alright if we didn’t get a true big though. That’s just the way Basketball is going. Majority of teams are playing guys more in the 6’8/215 type with some guard skills at the 4 as opposed to some big bruiser power forward. Iowa has the Murray’s 6’9/215 coming in that seem like good fits there if they are good enough. Pat McCaffery if he can put on the weight would likely get some time at the 4. Heck the best basketball Iowa played this year was with Connor 6’5/205 playing the 4 spot.

Here are some highlights from Ahron’s 34 point night last night. He appears to be able to score at all three levels. One of the knocks on him was his outside shot but it looks like he’s improved a lot on that. I really like that floater he showed as well. Starting to like this kid more and more as time goes on.

Agreed and he has a little more size and length. I see him as a true combo guard who can play the one and two, which allows him to play alongside Toussaint at times.
Also for one year JBo and of course CJF will be in the mix a lot. There'll be some interesting mixing and matching next yr for sure. But the pressure for Ulis to step in right away and do a ton shouldn't be a lot. (although we didn't think Toussaint would either this yr) So anything can happen

Latest posts