Ahron Ulis Commits to Iowa

Let's play devil's advocate here. What if he starts hitting from deep like he did in high school. That opens up his drives a bit more as they can't sag on him, then all of a sudden he's scoring 12+ppg and dishing 5+ assists at 6'5 205. Now we're looking at a legit combo guard who is smart, can drive and dish, and play solid defense. That's draft-able territory and definitely someone who'd find a spot overseas. I'd honestly say that's more likely than him hitting 0.400 as a lefty and making the majors. Unless he gets a signing bonus after having a tremendous baseball turnaround, he's way more likely to find a spot overseas making 6 figures traveling the world. I know which path I'd shoot for as the basketball coach's son.

He could improve and play overseas, yes. But he'll never play in the NBA. He could get drafted by an MLB team, play minor league baseball and have an outside chance of playing in the Bigs. It's probably 1-2% for that but it is 0% for basketball.

He could improve and play overseas, yes. But he'll never play in the NBA. He could get drafted by an MLB team, play minor league baseball and have an outside chance of playing in the Bigs. It's probably 1-2% for that but it is 0% for basketball.

Would you decide which path to Choose based on a 1 or 2 percent chance of something? I know I wouldn't.

I wouldn't choose based on a 1 or 2 percent chance if my dad were a multi-millionaire. I'm sure he has a lot more opportunities than a lot of people. It doesn't bother me if he wants to play two sports, but I don't really understand why he would be on scholarship. I could see it if he only wanted to play basketball.

As compared to a 0% chance, yes, I probably would.

Maybe I'm just risk adverse, but I'd take a >50% chance at making well into the 6 figures playing bball over a 1% chance of making the MLB and making millions (or to put it differently, a 99% chance of making <10k per year). I think it's reasonable to assume he'll at least match Clemmons' career who has been playing successfully overseas for years now.

I personally think when Connor came to college he had a better chance of making both work, but would not be surprised if all these injuries/illnesses have derailed his progression in both sports to the point that he has to choose one now to even have the chances we're talking about.

Maybe I'm just risk adverse, but I'd take a >50% chance at making well into the 6 figures playing bball over a 1% chance of making the MLB and making millions (or to put it differently, a 99% chance of making <10k per year). I think it's reasonable to assume he'll at least match Clemmons' career who has been playing successfully overseas for years now.

I personally think when Connor came to college he had a better chance of making both work, but would not be surprised if all these injuries/illnesses have derailed his progression in both sports to the point that he has to choose one now to even have the chances we're talking about.

Then why not just keep playing both sports? If I can be assured I'd play well enough to have a >50% chance of making 6 figures playing overseas in basketball, I might just keep the option open to keep playing baseball and have that 1-2% chance to make in the Bigs. I know you can't concentrate on one sport but you could make it work, play the odds and get paid one way or another.

Then why not just keep playing both sports? If I can be assured I'd play well enough to have a >50% chance of making 6 figures playing overseas in basketball, I might just keep the option open to keep playing baseball and have that 1-2% chance to make in the Bigs. I know you can't concentrate on one sport but you could make it work, play the odds and get paid one way or another.

You would assume the >50% chance would go down if he stayed playing both.

The difference is our parents aren't millionaires. Mine aren't at least. So the money factor probably isn't as big of a deal to Connor as it would be to us normies.

I have a suspicion that he'd like to follow in his dad's footsteps as a CBB coach...and would probably choose becoming a GA rather than playing basketball in Europe. Or else play a few years and then return to the US to coach like Dean and Gatens have done.

The difference is our parents aren't millionaires. Mine aren't at least. So the money factor probably isn't as big of a deal to Connor as it would be to us normies.

I have a suspicion that he'd like to follow in his dad's footsteps as a CBB coach...and would probably choose becoming a GA rather than playing basketball in Europe. Or else play a few years and then return to the US to coach like Dean and Gatens have done.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner! I will laugh good and heartily when AD Kirk Ferentz hires Connor McCaffery to be the next men's basketball coach before turning over the reins to Luke Barta and retiring to be a volunteer assistant for Brian Ferentz.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner! I will laugh good and heartily when AD Kirk Ferentz hires Connor McCaffery to be the next men's basketball coach before turning over the reins to Luke Barta and retiring to be a volunteer assistant for Brian Ferentz.

giphy.gif

Ferentz had a lot of connections for his kids in the football world, and I'm sure Fran has a lot of connections for his kids in the basketball world if they wanted them. Who you know and how your considered in life makes a big difference. I believe Connor is a deans list student so hopefully he isn't overly concerned about things. The guy is talented.

hes obviously taller than his brother which cant be a bad thing. This video kinda looked like a rec league though.

He's got room to fill out. I like the 6'2 broad shoulder PGs. He'll have to be our answer to missing on DJ Carton. No pressure kid.

Latest posts