Ahmad Wagner = Allen Lazard

DunderMifflinHk

If he decided to try football could Ahmad Wagner be similar to Lazard for the Hawks? They are similar in size: Wagner is 6’7” 222 lbs and is Lazard 6’5” 223 lbs. He’d be a good threat to catch corner end zone touchdowns like McNutt used to.

Wagner would have to be a TE at the NFL level (although word is that some teams are looking at Lazard at TE).

It might be worth a try for him, but it's a tough road - especially with blocking and route running - making that leap from basketball to pro football.

As has been well documented, it has happened though. Some of the best TEs to ever play were college basketball players: Tony Gonzalez and Anthony Gates just to name a couple.

Last edited:
Still can't believe he chose basketball. Looks WAY more fluid/natural playing football.

And lord knows we could use another target out there for Stanley. At 6 foot 7, with good hand and good moves sure would be nice to have him.

If he decided to try football could Ahmad Wagner be similar to Lazard for the Hawks? They are similar in size: Wagner is 6’7” 222 lbs and is Lazard 6’5” 223 lbs. He’d be a good threat to catch corner end zone touchdowns like McNutt used to.

I'd not seen that second video before... To know your physically capable of that and not want to continue to play kinda blows my mind. Dude could make a whole lot of $ in the NFL doing that if he'd just want to. The dude will have to go to Europe to play hoops past next yr if he wants to. He's just not a basketball player skill wise. Athletically he could be but he don't have the skills for it. He's going to end up being such a what if story

Wagner would have to be a TE at the NFL level (although word is that some teams are looking at Lazard at TE).

It might be worth a try for him, but it's a tough road - especially with blocking and route running - making that leap from basketball to pro football.

As has been well documented, it has happened though. Some of the best TEs to ever play were college basketball players: Tony Gonzalez and Anthony Gates just to name a couple.
Gonzalez and Gates were TE’s because they weren’t fast enough to play WR.

I think Wagner would play WR. He was a track guy in HS, and is said to have the best first step on the basketball team. At either position he’d need to learn how to run routes. I could see him used as a WR in red zone packages as he would have a mismatch on most corners.

Btw I think Wagner is closer to 6’5 than he is to 6’7.

If he decided to play football?
He has decided not to play football.
That decision won’t change this late into his collegiate education.

Transfers haven’t l fared well in Ferentz’s program. He would be a transfer basically.

It is not going to happen.

Gonzalez and Gates were TE’s because they weren’t fast enough to play WR.

I think Wagner would play WR. He was a track guy in HS, and is said to have the best first step on the basketball team. At either position he’d need to learn how to run routes. I could see him used as a WR in red zone packages as he would have a mismatch on most corners.

Btw I think Wagner is closer to 6’5 than he is to 6’7.
You might want to investigate a little before you post. Gonzalez ran a 4.49 at the combine. Jimmy Graham ran a 4.56. Gates a 4.60. Those numbers are as fast or faster than a lot of WRs in the NFL.

It's probably a moot point anyway, since it's unlikely to happen, but if Wagner went that route, he almost certainly would be considered a TE prospect. At 6'5" - 6'7" and around 235 lbs, there is almost no way the NFL would view him as a WR.

Personally, I wish he would try. If he was willing to put in the work, I think he'd have a good shot to make a roster, perhaps initially as a practice squad developmental guy, but the potential definitely is there.

There have been times when I would have liked to see him work with one of his basketball teammates on throwing a couple of crackback blocks. :eek:

He's going to end up being such a what if story

Speaking of "what ifs?", I was wondering about this the other day. If you were going to make up a football team from current and former Hawkeye basketball players, who would be on it, and at what positions?

The ones that came immediately to mind: Haluska as a WR, Eric May as a QB, Reggie Evans as a DE. Who else you got?

Last edited:
Speaking of "what ifs?", I was wondering about this the other day. If you were going to make up a football team from current and former Hawkeye players, who would be on it, and at what positions?

The ones that came immediately to mind: Haluska as a WR, Eric May as a QB, Reggie Evans as a DE. Who else you got?

Acie Earl at the other DE spot. McCabe as LB. Doug Thomas in "jump ball" WR packages.

You might want to investigate a little before you post. Gonzalez ran a 4.49 at the combine. Jimmy Graham ran a 4.56. Gates a 4.60. Those numbers are as fast or faster than a lot of WRs in the NFL.

It's probably a moot point anyway, since it's unlikely to happen, but if Wagner went that route, he almost certainly would be considered a TE prospect. At 6'5" - 6'7" and around 235 lbs, there is almost no way the NFL would view him as a WR.

Personally, I wish he would try. If he was willing to put in the work, I think he'd have a good shot to make a roster, perhaps initially as a practice squad developmental guy, but the potential definitely is there.
I suppose I recall Tony near the tail end of his career. But I still maintain Wagner would be a WR, assuming he runs well enough. My guess is he is about 6’5/225. Either way we probably will never know. I don’t think he would be an every down WR either, likely just a red zone threat. Realistically he’s a hybrid WR/TE, I just don’t think he’d be able to block anyone.

Speaking of "what ifs?", I was wondering about this the other day. If you were going to make up a football team from current and former Hawkeye basketball players, who would be on it, and at what positions?

Clemmons would be our RB and likely best DB option.

Pemsl would get Doyle-ized and be a 1st round pick at LT.

Dailey at safety.

Put a pound of stick em on Tyler’s Cook’s hands and put him at TE.

Olaseni would be put in the middle on the FG block team and break an NCAA record for most blocked kicks in a season.

All good picks. So yeah Cook & Doug Thomas, could do some damage out there. Andre Woolridge would have been a great option QB. Duez Henderson comes to mind he was built kinda like Wagner. Tyler Smith, Mike G would have been a good QB I bet. Greg Brunner, Cyrus Tate & Jard Cole were beasts too. Matt Gatens maybe. We've had a few

Latest posts