Agrresive wrestling

gordonearl

I hear comments from fans and Ironside often that some Iowa wrestlers will not take shots. Is that something that can not be taught?

Brands didn't have to teach Metcalf, McD, or Ramos to take shots. They came preloaded with that ability.

Its no different then any other sport. Can you teach someone to pull up for three in basketball? Can you teach someone to swing at the 0-1 backdoor slider thats on the edge of the plate? Some kids have great leg attacks and wont take shots some kids have awful shots but are so aggressive they keep shooting. Dustin Schlatter had one of the nicest high-C's youd ever see but he was content to win 3-2 every match. There was nothing pretty about Daniel Dennis' leg attacks but hed shoot 7, 8, 9 times a period and eventually hed convert. Not everyone is Mcilravy who hit 4-6 gorgeous shots a match

I guess my main question regarding the team is who do we have to fill some of these holes?

Telford CAN be great, and I think he proved that. He needs to get a lot of work underneath, but he's a good wrestler and can help the team.

What do we do at 149? 141? 197?

I am assuming GG can stay at 184 and hopefully do better next year.

I love 125, 133, 157, and 165 next year. Very good weights. But what can we do about the others? Any prospects?

Lots of them. Lofthouse will be solid his JR and SR years. I expect Sam Brooks to fill 197. Dziewa or Sconieczny should fill 141 and Ballweg/Dziewa at 149. I think Clark/Gillman lock up 125/134 behind McD and Ramos.

Anyone who watched Dziewa this year should be excited - hes very aggressive and energetic.

Lots of them. Lofthouse will be solid his JR and SR years. I expect Sam Brooks to fill 197. Dziewa or Sconieczny should fill 141 and Ballweg/Dziewa at 149. I think Clark/Gillman lock up 125/134 behind McD and Ramos.

Anyone who watched Dziewa this year should be excited - hes very aggressive and energetic.

Cool. Thanks.

Dziewa also got manhandled by Mark Ballweg at the Duhawk Open. He'll have to tighten that up before he gets 141 next year. My guess at that weight is that Ballweg will win the wrestle-off, wrestle uninspiringly and be replaced by Dziewa after Midlands.

Don't disagree. Wrestle offs never tell the whole story - especially in OUR practice room. Dziewa outpaces Ballweg in live action so badly it's ridiculous. The kid is a purebred, he's just raw. I expect big things from him.

Dziewa also got manhandled by Mark Ballweg at the Duhawk Open. He'll have to tighten that up before he gets 141 next year. My guess at that weight is that Ballweg will win the wrestle-off, wrestle uninspiringly and be replaced by Dziewa after Midlands.

last year before mm got back on the team balleeg was wrestling really well. at 149 he was manhandled but id have faith in him if he gets the 141 slot.

also in terms of aggressive wrestling, the problem is not in neutral. we are not great mat wrestlers at some weights. when you think your going to get out scrambled and ridden its hard to be too eager to shoot and take the action to the mat. when you at psu lineup they are not that much better than us in neutral but they are seldom ridden and mostly monsters on top. brands does a great job but there is a difference between brands teams and gables teams when they're on top. in a perfect world we could lure Perry back on staff with brands bros. luckily though we do have the best head coach out there.

Once Perry takes over at Illinois, you can add them to the list that will be a constant pain in the ***.

Absolutely it can be taught, Gable was a master at getting his wrestlers in the right frame of mind. Our guys do lack the aggresivness to win. You guys will think I'm nuts for saying this but Evans has the talent to bet the golden boy Taylor, but he's so friggin timid and scared to make a mistake it made me nautious. Lofthouse is talented enough to beat Ruth but he's scared out of his mind wrestling him. If these guys just let it go, you'd be surprised....

I should add that I do think Brands is a good coach, these guys just need to listen and let it go... That's where the confidence comes in.

Once Perry takes over at Illinois, you can add them to the list that will be a constant pain in the ***.

Agreed but I thought Mark has been very open about how he wants to coach at Iowa there just hasn't been an opening. I may be wrong but is there any reason why they haven't found a spot for him? He would certainly help, I mean, Dallago and Gonzalez can tell you how much having Perry on the staff helps.

Absolutely it can be taught, Gable was a master at getting his wrestlers in the right frame of mind. Our guys do lack the aggresivness to win. You guys will think I'm nuts for saying this but Evans has the talent to bet the golden boy Taylor, but he's so friggin timid and scared to make a mistake it made me nautious. Lofthouse is talented enough to beat Ruth but he's scared out of his mind wrestling him. If these guys just let it go, you'd be surprised....

Glad someone else sees the same with Evans. After the first td in that match Evans was a shell of himself! I relate it to when a couple of years ago the weather brought Skutt catholic to a tourney at tri center. Half of my guys were beat before stepping on the mat. The mind is often your worst enemy! I don't care who you are or who you wrestle for,you can be beat!

Latest posts