Absolutely ecstatic with the offense

okeefe4prez

A bunch of idiots look at this offense and conclude that because it only scored 13 points that it sucks. That is wrong. I'm not going to make a bold prediction about the future, but this offense reminds me a lot of the offenses back in the early 2000's under the guidance of Ken O'Keefe. They look a bit shaky in September, but by October they are trucking.

Ferentz going deep on 3rd and short was huge, that is gonna be on tape all year and will pay big dividends. The line is still a work in progress but is making some holes in the run game that we haven't seen for years. The pass blocking is steadily improving. We missed on two pass plays that could have put us in the 30's on the scoreboard. If we don't have any key injuries, I'm hard pressed to find more than two losses on this schedule with 12-0 being a real possibility. I believe this team is going to gel and be really good.

okeefe4prez has so mastered the art of trolling that I honestly don't know that any given post is more than a 50/50 proposition between troll and serious posting.
He's damn good at it, just as you point out. He's trolling and baiting some while make some half azz valid points to others. It's a skill like no other.

His troll posts have some actual beliefs from what he is thinking. His posts have both a comedic level and truth. Those who have been around read them knowing he's baiting and hooking some, but find truth to what he puts.

He's like the Bill Burr of sports forums.

okeefe4prez has so mastered the art of trolling that I honestly don't know that any given post is more than a 50/50 proposition between troll and serious posting.

Not a troll. This is the first Iowa game in years where they went deep multiple times and it felt like they actually had a chance. Cade will dial it in. I wish we had just one really good WR, but those TEs are going to cause absolute chaos for the opposition. Are we that good? Probably not, but the schedule is so damned bad that I just don't see any way this team doesn't put up a great year unless we have a key injury. If we lose Cade then it will be a hard season to watch, but the incremental improvement in this offense week over week was pretty big. And Cade hitting those deep passes on 3rd and short, OMG. Pinch me. We haven't seen a guy hit those passes bince Beathard was under center.

Screw the 25 points per game thing, I think if we can put up 20-24 every week we should finish 11-1 at worst. 24 points with this defense will be enough to get it done as long as we can get at least 27 minutes TOP. I would like to see that tightened up and get a bit better at converting in the 4th quarter to keep the defense resting.

Jesus, perhaps some of the purveyors of sour grapes in this thread need to go back and watch Iowa's offense last year. It takes time, but I see the foundation of a team that has taken a quantum leap in the offseason. They're not going to beat an elite top 5 team or anything, but it is night and day from last year.

I agree with his fake or non fake comments. I see some potential in the offense. Cade is nice to watch, he is aware, he can make the throws and he's not scared. He appears to be a real QB in a QB role. All depends on continuous improvement, and keeping injuries to a minimum, esp Cade. I thought the D and the O made improvements from week 1.

If they can now get that running game consistent.....................

That is the key.

Look, I'm not going to commend the line just yet, but that was the best game I have seen out of the line since the Maryland game in 2021. Would have been great to convert that last third down to run the clock out, but they opened a few holes and they were decent in pass protection. They still need work, but I am optimistic. This should be a double digit winning team barring a critical injury.

Look, I'm not going to commend the line just yet, but that was the best game I have seen out of the line since the Maryland game in 2021. Would have been great to convert that last third down to run the clock out, but they opened a few holes and they were decent in pass protection. They still need work, but I am optimistic. This should be a double digit winning team barring a critical injury.

I hear what you're saying.

Yah. I mean....I'm pleased with the progress of the offensive line in the passing game. They've shown enough that McNamara could have a monster day at some point. They've shown they can be effective enough even when PI isn't being called and luck doesn't swing their way. I even give Brain some credit for the passing game and mixing it up. Big plays. Short plays. A few unexpected plays. In the passing game. And credit to him for sorting out the pass protection that was non-existent last season.

But, damn. The running game is still anemic. To the point where I'm not sure it makes sense. I mean, the pass protection isn't lights out, but it's more than acceptable. How is it that they can give McNamara enough time that he's only been sacked like twice and given up one arguable INT and yet not be able to make enough room to get a back into the secondary more than once or twice in a game?

Neither of those sacks were McNamara getting blowing up...and neither of them were for more than a few yards. The INT was what it was. A non call PI that resulted in essentially an arm-punt. Can't argue those stats through 2 games. The o-line can do it's job. Just makes me wonder why it's not working at all in the run game.

Agree. My key word was "consistent", though.

But, I also give a lot of credit to Patterson as I think he exploited some seams and not so much holes. He seemed to cut once and hit the seam/hole pretty good, with minimal dancing in the backfield.

I think Johnson needs more of a hole and Patterson can be good with a seam or hole.

Yah. I mean....I'm pleased with the progress of the offensive line in the passing game. They've shown enough that McNamara could have a monster day at some point. They've shown they can be effective enough even when PI isn't being called and luck doesn't swing their way. I even give Brain some credit for the passing game and mixing it up. Big plays. Short plays. A few unexpected plays. In the passing game. And credit to him for sorting out the pass protection that was non-existent last season.

But, damn. The running game is still anemic. To the point where I'm not sure it makes sense. I mean, the pass protection isn't lights out, but it's more than acceptable. How is it that they can give McNamara enough time that he's only been sacked like twice and given up one arguable INT and yet not be able to make enough room to get a back into the secondary more than once or twice in a game?

Neither of those sacks were McNamara getting blowing up...and neither of them were for more than a few yards. The INT was what it was. A non call PI that resulted in essentially an arm-punt. Can't argue those stats through 2 games. The o-line can do it's job. Just makes me wonder why it's not working at all in the run game.

There are some linemen who just are better at pass pro vs run blocking and vise versa. Now when you look at the game now that is being played at the HS level, I can see guys coming in struggling with the downfield run blocking game. Vise versa, if a guy plays on a team in HS that predominantly just runs, they may excel at that more. I would think higher division teams probably run a spread and zone read with more passing than the lower division teams.

I have boys that play varsity and their QB last Friday I think threw the ball 58 times. Their pass pro is pretty decent. I can see if they switched to predominantly running for some reason, they might not be as effective. Depends on the player and their background to build from, I guess is what I am saying.

Last edited:

The whole thing will be a process. This game was a huge step in the process because defensive coordinators who said to themselves "The only question I have in scheming against Iowa is whether to go 9 or 10 in the box" are suddenly going to have a lot to think about based on tape. That variability added to the offense is going to go a long way toward improving the team. If they continue that strategy there are going to be draw plays that work, screens that work, counters that work, etc. Once you establish even a semblance of big play potential the opposing defenses have much more to evaluate and scheme for. Iowa State was content in going out and throwing every available resource at stopping the run. Teams will still key on it, but once Cade connects on a few of those deep shots teams are going to have to stop being so aggressive against the run and like a miracle the o-line will look a million times better.

Latest posts