Absolute Worst State For College Sports or To Be A Fan In?

MelroseHawkins

I've thought about this on occasion. I've thought about the passion fans in Iowa have about our Hawkeyes and Cyclones and about college football fans in general. Fanatics! I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a state that doesn't really have great college sports, in particular football and basketball. There are two separate ways which one could think about this. 1) Which state doesn't offer the top or competitive teams? 2) Which states just don't care much about college sports, which can tie into #1. They are relational.

So I ask you, which states would living in be the worst as far as being a college sports fan, such as for football, basketball, wrestling, etc.? I think it would suck living in these states that really don't have a foot in the landscape or care about college sports. Fans would be missing a lot, IMO. College athletics are so unique and a different kind of fun.

I've thought about it and I'd have to say Idaho would be a pretty crappy state to live in for college sports. I just can't recall any team from Idaho really making a big impact in any top sports or revenue generating sports. Some of those mid to west upper states would be included. Montana but they have U of Montana and Montana St, who on occasion at least make a splash on the FCS level. Same with North and South Dakota universities. There is a little more representation in the states below these states to Arizona and to the West Coast.

I think to the east of us is covered pretty well with competitive teams and Div 1 schools. There are a lot more states but I haven't really delved into those.

But what if you lived in Idaho and the college bowl games or National C-ship game was happening or the NCAA Basketball tournament was going on, would they really care out there or tune in like we do. I just can't image that.

Let me know your thoughts or which states you think it would suck living in as a fan?

There’s more than one would think.

Montana
The Dakotas
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Delaware
Rhode Island
nebraska

I mean some of those states are close to others that have good sports so there might be something regional there, but if you go that route you might as well not even mention states as the qualifiers.

nebraska is just as much of an absolute sports butthole as any of those other states. There were two things that state ever had which was football and volleyball, and you don’t exactly see fans in bars watching volleyball or buy volleyball t-shirts because it’s a boring chick sport that no one cares about. No pro teams anywhere close except for KC which is a long ways from 95% of the state.

I think nebraska takes the award if nothing else because of how far they’ve fallen into illegitimacy and irrelevance.

Montana
The Dakotas
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Delaware
Rhode Island
nebraska

I mean some of those states are close to others that have good sports so there might be something regional there, but if you go that route you might as well not even mention states as the qualifiers.

nebraska is just as much of an absolute sports butthole as any of those other states. There were two things that state ever had which was football and volleyball, and you don’t exactly see fans in bars watching volleyball or buy volleyball t-shirts because it’s a boring chick sport that no one cares about. No pro teams anywhere close except for KC which is a long ways from 95% of the state.

I think nebraska takes the award if nothing else because of how far they’ve fallen into illegitimacy and irrelevance.
This is a good list. I'm going to add one state (the one I currently live in), for a different reason.

This state (California) has lots of college sports teams. LA has USC and UCLA. In theory it's great. Having said that, if these teams aren't national contenders, no one seems to care. It's the opposite of a Kinnick situation. The Rose Bowl has like 10 people in it when UCLA is playing a run of the mill game.

Having said that, I'm going to try to go to some of those games in LA just to experience it. I'll still get back to Kinnick a few times a year for the real thing, though :)

Montana
The Dakotas
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Delaware
Rhode Island
nebraska

I thought about them for the very reason that they have one team/school or even program they hang their hat on.................and that's Nebraska football. Yes, they have been down for a looooong time now and who knows if they will ever rise up again.

But, they are at least a Div I P5 program and in the BIG 10, so, their fans are in tune and still rabid about college sports. They are still interested in the outcomes and interested in NCAA basketball I would think.

But, people in states like freaking Idaho, how excited do they get. I try to put myself out there and I think one would lose interest, especially if being a native. I understand that many fans may live out there but have a connection to a P5 university or something. It would be weird living in a place that doesn't have a buzz for college sports for the simple fact there is not a connection or closeness.

This is a good list. I'm going to add one state (the one I currently live in), for a different reason.

This state (California) has lots of college sports teams. LA has USC and UCLA. In theory it's great. Having said that, if these teams aren't national contenders, no one seems to care. It's the opposite of a Kinnick situation. The Rose Bowl has like 10 people in it when UCLA is playing a run of the mill game.

Having said that, I'm going to try to go to some of those games in LA just to experience it. I'll still get back to Kinnick a few times a year for the real thing, though :)

I also put that into perspective. Minneapolis is the same way with the Gophers, especially when the Stars were there. The Vikings and Stars got all the support and attendance revenue. Minny was kind of a second story in that city.

California at least has Div 1 P5 teams in the state. The shear number of dedicated fans can make up for some disinterest from the professional league fans. At least they are more in tune with the PAC conference than what a fan in Idaho would be.

But, many other states like SD, ND, Idaho don't really have any high powered (Div 1 or P5 teams) in them. I wonder how observant or dedicated the fans are with keeping up with what is going on on the college level. I bet you it is such a different atmosphere living in those states in the fall.

For those who do live out of state and are a fan of Iowa, describe what it is like or if you feel out-of-tune a bit as a fan because of location. I often wondered what it would be like being a fan of a team and living several states a way or in a state that doesn't really have any Div 1 teams or a real interest in high end college sports. There has to be somewhat of a disconnect.

Ya ever thought if you lived in Montana or Idaho what it would be like as a fan of the Hawks.

The BIG 10 network has really bridged that gap over the years. Imagine being a fan and not getting the network that broadcasts the games. Not so much of a problem these days but in years past it had to really be an obstacle.

I also put that into perspective. Minneapolis is the same way with the Gophers, especially when the Stars were there. The Vikings and Stars got all the support and attendance revenue. Minny was kind of a second story in that city.

California at least has Div 1 P5 teams in the state. The shear number of dedicated fans can make up for some disinterest from the professional league fans. At least they are more in tune with the PAC conference than what a fan in Idaho would be.

But, many other states like SD, ND, Idaho don't really have any high powered (Div 1 or P5 teams) in them. I wonder how observant or dedicated the fans are with keeping up with what is going on on the college level. I bet you it is such a different atmosphere living in those states in the fall.
Good points. My wife is from Minneapolis and that's true. It's certainly worse in LA (people really like the Lakers and the Dodgers) but even NFL teams (Chargers) are also-rans that people don't care that much about. Even the Rams had a tough time getting traction, but they did win the super bowl.

Another thing about UCLA in particular is that their stadium (Rose Bowl) isn't on campus. It's a bit like when Minny had to hump it over the Metrodome. It's better now that they have a newer, better Kinnick North.

Montana has D1 BB and in football can follow Boise or WSU. Frankly as outdoorsy as Mt is I doubt they care much about D1 football.

Delaware like LA probably doesn't care much and have Philadelphia pro sports.

NH has Boston. Vermont.... Larry and Daryll and Daryll likely don't care. It's a beautiful state.

Maine? KF left there. Again Boston.

Leaves Nebby.... ya that stinks, but maybe BB soon until the coach leaves for somewhere else.

At a glance Iowa stinks on pro sports. Then again as a kid I'd listen to the Twins on WHO, Cardinals or Royals on FM and watch the Cubs on Sunday. Football, had the Cards (bad as that was), KC which at times was good and Vikes in some areas. These other states is they are fans of College D1 sports have alternatives.

For those who do live out of state and are a fan of Iowa, describe what it is like or if you feel out-of-tune a bit as a fan because of location. I often wondered what it would be like being a fan of a team and living several states a way or in a state that doesn't really have any Div 1 teams or a real interest in high end college sports. There has to be somewhat of a disconnect.

Ya ever thought if you lived in Montana or Idaho what it would be like as a fan of the Hawks.

The BIG 10 network has really bridged that gap over the years. Imagine being a fan and not getting the network that broadcasts the games. Not so much of a problem these days but in years past it had to really be an obstacle.
I've lived in Iowa City, Chicago, Madison, Denver, and LA.

Chicago--middle of big ten country. Big ten bars on Southport (street near Wrigley). Didn't miss a step
Madison- Similar. Still went to hawk games there, too. Grew to loathe the badgers there, but good big ten rivalry stuff.
Denver- Still kept my season tickets. Worked with a few other hawk grads. They had a sports column bar in downtown that had hawk games. Still went to a few games per year in IC.
LA- Nobody cares about the big ten, and in West LA I'm not even sure anyone cares about football. I'm still going to a couple of Iowa games this year, though. It feels really weird. If I wore an Iowa hat in any of the aforementioned places, there might be a "go hawks" or a "hawks suck" comment (still got that in Denver). Here in LA--nada.

btw I still watch BTN a lot. It really helps.

I would add Illinois. A lot of Chicago goes pro sports. I guess Illinois BB gets a following. Thats about it. South Dakota is interesting. Regional for sure, but lots of local kids from the tri-State area get scholarships, along with some non-midwesterners who couldn’t quite go bigger. (And, there is North Dakota), USD. Plays indoors, State has an upscale stadium. Pure old school sports.

But what if you lived in Idaho and the college bowl games or National C-ship game was happening or the NCAA Basketball tournament was going on, would they really care out there or tune in like we do. I just can't image that.

Let me know your thoughts or which states you think it would suck living in as a fan?

You do know that Boise State is in Idaho dont you? Not that Boise St is P5 but they have been good for a lot of years and really good when Petersen, iirc, and his successor was there. Not a lot of people in Idaho and they like to shoot at things maybe instead of following college sports. I am sure Boise and the Vandals have their big set of fans.

And people forget that for much of the Atlantic states Lacrosse is bigger for many people than football. The legendary Jim Brown was all-american in lacrosse:

Midfield
6-2, 212
Manhasset, N.Y.

Jim Brown is considered by many to be the greatest lacrosse player ever, according to the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Hall in 1983. He was also inducted into the Professional Football Hall of Fame in 1971. He is the only person to be inducted into the Halls of Fame for pro football, college football and lacrosse.

Syracuse has had a long history of playing very good football but it is surprising that the New York University system really doesnt have any other top teams that I can think of. And New Jersey also has the population and some very good high school football and basketball players, maybe wrestling and baseball also, but it just doesnt translate into big time college sports.

Nebby has been down for a long time, not much in the Dakotas, Wyoming etc out west. New Mexico loves their basketball.

Idaho does have Boise St football to root for and actually has a bowl game every year, so I would not include Idaho on that list.

I would have to nominate Alaska. No Div 1 sports programs that I am aware of. I hear they root for the Seatle Seahawks NFL team up there, so maybe they root for the Washington Huskies college teams too, but I have no idea.

Minnesota and there is no 2nd place. The U is a cesspool of death and no one here gives a crap about them.

I live in SC. 100 miles from Athens, 100 miles from Columbia, 35 miles from Clemson. Clemson probably has fewer fans than Iowa, which is insane given how good they are.

On Saturdays almost everyone has college gear on. Locally Clemson is king, followed by SC, followed closely by Georgia. But on Saturday you see almost every Big Ten team represented if you go to Costco or somewhere busy. Tons of PSU, Ohio and Michigan fans. When Iowa is good people will stop and bullshit. When Iowa was 2 last year this Georgia fan at my gym was asking me what an Iowa-Georgia game would look like and I asked "have you seen Iowa play? They would lose by 70 to Georgia." He didn't believe me, but when I guaranteed him that Georgia would crush Michigan (he thought Georgia would lose) he finally came around to seeing that no one in the B1G outside of Ohio can stand anywhere near the SEC teams.

I would add Illinois. A lot of Chicago goes pro sports. I guess Illinois BB gets a following. Thats about it. South Dakota is interesting. Regional for sure, but lots of local kids from the tri-State area get scholarships, along with some non-midwesterners who couldn’t quite go bigger. (And, there is North Dakota), USD. Plays indoors, State has an upscale stadium. Pure old school sports.
Illinois? I don't think you are getting the post. Illinois has Illinois, NW, some decent Illinois directional schools. I'm talking about what geographic state has abysmal college teams to watch, or non Div 1 p5 teams or is a crappy state to be a general fan in.

But, to your point, for the size of Illinois with Chicago, they really don't have a lot of Div 1 programs so Illinois should be able to recruit better.

You do know that Boise State is in Idaho dont you? Not that Boise St is P5 but they have been good for a lot of years and really good when Petersen, iirc, and his successor was there. Not a lot of people in Idaho and they like to shoot at things maybe instead of following college sports. I am sure Boise and the Vandals have their big set of fans.

And people forget that for much of the Atlantic states Lacrosse is bigger for many people than football. The legendary Jim Brown was all-american in lacrosse:

Midfield
6-2, 212
Manhasset, N.Y.

Jim Brown is considered by many to be the greatest lacrosse player ever, according to the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Hall in 1983. He was also inducted into the Professional Football Hall of Fame in 1971. He is the only person to be inducted into the Halls of Fame for pro football, college football and lacrosse.

Syracuse has had a long history of playing very good football but it is surprising that the New York University system really doesnt have any other top teams that I can think of. And New Jersey also has the population and some very good high school football and basketball players, maybe wrestling and baseball also, but it just doesnt translate into big time college sports.

Nebby has been down for a long time, not much in the Dakotas, Wyoming etc out west. New Mexico loves their basketball.
No, I didn't know where Boise St is or played on a blue field . Cripes! Da, the bold above is the whole point of the thread.

I would have to nominate Alaska. No Div 1 sports programs that I am aware of. I hear they root for the Seatle Seahawks NFL team up there, so maybe they root for the Washington Huskies college teams too, but I have no idea.

Good call. How one forgets about Alaska and Hawaii I guess.

Latest posts