AAU 16U (class of 2012)

For those not familiar with some of the kids I am talking about, here is a list on the NY2LASports site that has some pics and info about them.

Paige is the only one ranked in the top 100 right now. Jok is #1 in the class of 2013.

Player Search Results

I was playing pick up ball in SC at four season's with some buddies and we played against Staten when he was in 8th grade. I was lighting it up until he checked me. I didn't know who he was at the time and we thought he was in highschool. He told us he was in 8th grade. I'm not as embarrassed as I used to be about getting shut down by an 8th grader.

It didn't have to be anything personal, I just said you seemed anti-Paige and Gessel.

As you can see that was my first post, and I don't choose to spread my opinions to often, I just wanted to know, so thanks for your answering! Recruiting will always be in the eye of the beholders thats why I asked you specifically who you had in mind that would you put in place of Mike and Marcus if they are passed over. I am totally in favor of the Martin Brothers three that I might add have been offered to play for the Hawks, meaning if they were overated or not they would develope and help the Hawks or any other school.........I happen to be a Fan of and respect the game of the young men you mention,,,,,,I hope the in State schools get a claw on the entire class of 2012, all the way from JC,NAIA,D2,D3, D1. I mean no harm and certainly didn't mean to challenge you, just find out why you said:

I agree for the most part. I have seen a lot of Paige, but not that much of Uthoff. Truthfully, I would not be disappointed if we missed on both. You meant Paige and Gessel right?

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't have to be anything personal, I just said you seemed anti-Paige and Gessel.

As you can see that what's my first post, and I don't choose to spread my opinions to often, I just wanted to know, so thanks for your answering! Recruiting will always be in the eye of the beholders thats why I asked you specifically who you had in mind that would you put in place of Mike and Marcus if they are passed over.

Absolutely. I try to stay out of most recruiting talk when I am not that familiar with it, but as I stated, I feel pretty good about my knowledge on this class.

Gessell is much easier to replace than Paige. The reason I think Paige IS important for us to land is that we have to lock down the borders here. I am sick of watching the Badgers, Jayhawks and now Tarheels come in and take our kids. However, as I said I feel they are both replaceable.

I now follow you , and yes they are replaceble in the manner you spoke, I truley hear what you are saying, I stepped back and view it the way you just put it and I agree,
thanks, I do feel like there is a **** load of talent here in Iowa at this time........

Theres a lot of things unfolding in the state AAU circuit right now and it wont be doing us any favors. The 15 and under Kingdom hoops team has lost most of its top players including Jok and they will start practicing and playing in Ames. I can also tell you the Martin Brothers Co. has informed the Martin Bro. BB team that they will be taking a significant loss in funding and they may have to follow suit.

Theres a lot of things unfolding in the state AAU circuit right now and it wont be doing us any favors. The 15 and under Kingdom hoops team has lost most of its top players including Jok and they will start practicing and playing in Ames. I can also tell you the Martin Brothers Co. has informed the Martin Bro. BB team that they will be taking a significant loss in funding and they may have to follow suit.

I see Martin Bros shutting it down after this 16U class goes through.

Unfortunately it will be happening before that. I would look for them and Hank to be based out of Ames before to long.

So maybe next year? I figured they would hang on at least one more year and see this class of 2012 through. But one thing I do not know is the financial situation they are in.

I think they will be in Ames next year with a very pro-ISU feel to it. Hopefully we can secure a committment or two before this happens.

I think they will be in Ames next year with a very pro-ISU feel to it. Hopefully we can secure a committment or two before this happens.

I have heard that too. I do not agree that it is a huge advantage for Iowa State that these guys practice in Ames and are based out of Ames. They won't be there that often, and Paige is from the Iowa City area. MB has sent more guys to Iowa over the years than they have ISU.

"I think they will be in Ames next year with a very pro-ISU feel to it." Can you tell me what this means, are you saying that those who play there go there?

Why are they relocating to Ames? Even if that's the case I don't think it will have much impact on ultimate college choices.

I agree with you on both counts. Practicing in Ames doesn't mean much as Sullivan and the Attack did it for years, and MB has been great to us as well.

Lets look at it another way that would be a perfect picture as a Iowa fan.

We have a load of young talent coming in Iowa the next few years. Martin Brothers is the dream team for the young players in the state. The kids pay nothing, unlike the 150 a month of Kingdom Hoops and others. They play with other great athletes and they play regionally and also nationally. Now, funding becomes tight. Some major booster from Iowa steps up and says, we love bball, we love kids, lets help them out. I as the donor would prefer you practice in Iowa City. Now if I'm one of the coaches of these teams I would assume I'm going to say great things about the University of Iowa.

Thats not going to sway all recruits but it will help with some.

For those not familiar with some of the kids I am talking about, here is a list on the NY2LASports site that has some pics and info about them.

Paige is the only one ranked in the top 100 right now. Jok is #1 in the class of 2013.

Player Search Results

The startling omission of guard James Harrington of Cedar Falls make this a suspect list IMO. No one who has watched them could consider Campbell, Olson, Coleman as top players over Harrington.

Harrington is on the short list--Woodbury, Paige, Kasterbauer, Staten, Harrington--of the certain future players in high Division 1 majors.

Speaking of Eastern Iowa, as to 2011 recruits, there is surprising downplaying of the Cedar Rapids duo of Jarred Uthoff and Josn Oglesby. Both already have double-digit offers, including for both ACC, PAC-10, Big 12, MVC & Big Ten (Uthoff from Illinois, Oglesby from Minnesota. not yet Iowa for either...but IMO Uthoff is a sure thing to get a Hawkeye offer).

A year from now, Uthoff is going to be very highly rated--particularly if he ends up at Kansas more than if its Ilinois or Iowa. To my mind, it is crucial that McCaffery gets this kid: he probably is going to be 6-10 when he quits growing (he will have just turned 17 when he graduates from HS), yet he has the moves & the mobility to play SF, the ideal other forward to complement McCabe or Marble or Besabe if McCaffery employs the kind of up-tempo offense he played at Siena.

Kids like Uthoff and Marble who are a year young for their HS class are a year behind others in their physical development and maturation. Means that they are likely to come on very strong their senior year (as Marble has). I'm anticipating that Uthoff has the kind of senior year that is going to make him a prime target of the big names in college hoops; and I fear that there isn't much chance for Iowa to get an early commitment.

Last edited:
Excellent point on Harrington. He has been starting as a freshman at Cedar Falls. He was 2nd team all-state in 4A as a sophomore this year. He also won the 200 4A state title and may have won the 100 as well (he won at the Drake Relays) but he false started.

The startling omission of guard James Harrington of Cedar Falls make this a suspect list IMO. No one who has watched them could consider Campbell, Olson, Coleman as top players over Harrington.

Harrington is on the short list--Woodbury, Paige, Kasterbauer, Staten, Harrington--of the certain future players in high Division 1 majors.

Speaking of Eastern Iowa, as to 2011 recruits, there is surprising downplaying of the Cedar Rapids duo of Jarred Uthoff and Josn Oglesby. Both already have double-digit offers, including for both ACC, PAC-10, Big 12, MVC & Big Ten (Uthoff from Illinois, Oglesby from Minnesota. not yet Iowa for either...but IMO Uthoff is a sure thing to get a Hawkeye offer).

A year from now, Uthoff is going to be very highly rated--particularly if he ends up at Kansas more than if its Ilinois or Iowa. To my mind, it is crucial that McCaffery gets this kid: he probably is going to be 6-10 when he quits growing (he will have just turned 17 when he graduates from HS), yet he has the moves & the mobility to play SF, the ideal other forward to complement McCabe or Marble or Besabe if McCaffery employs the kind of up-tempo offense he played at Siena.

Kids like Uthoff and Marble who are a year young for their HS class are a year behind others in their physical development and maturation. Means that they are likely to come on very strong their senior year (as Marble has). I'm anticipating that Uthoff has the kind of senior year that is going to make him a prime target of the big names in college hoops; and I fear that there isn't much chance for Iowa to get an early commitment.

I agree on JH. But he has not really played much ball on the AAU circuit lately, and that is where this stuff stems from. Harrington can be a great D1 athlete in whatever sport he wants to. As you know, he was w/ Paige, Woodbury, Gessell and the rest of that dynamite Martin Bros team a couple years ago.

Latest posts