Aaron White Commits to Iowa

I don't take it personal...After all I got zero offers to play basketball :)
Anyway, isn't it a decent measuring stick on a guy's talent?

It may be a good measuring stick for INITIAL talent. But basketball, more so than perhaps any other sport, is so dependent on a lot of "little" things that I think it's really hard to judge a kid's worth to a program just on initial talent. Sure, you need guys that can create their own shot, that are quick, that can defend in space, etc. But you also need those "glue" guys....guys that can hustle, that have a good basketball IQ, that can make the extra pass, that are good teammates, etc.

Mike not be a "superstar" but I like this analysis. Sounds like a good ball player.

Held offers from Penn State, Northwestern, Temple and Saint Joes.

"White is a pure basketball player. He is deceptively athletic and he's always around the ball. He is one of those prototypical glue-types that can impact the game on many levels. He has quick hands on defense and he can get out and finish in transition. In the half court he can face-up his opponent and take him off the dribble and he's quite unselfish. His basketball IQ is high and his passing prowess, usually in the half court set, is high level."

Aaron White 2011 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

He was considering those but not offered. Scout says he only had offers from Akron, Duquesne, Miami (Fl.), and Toledo.

His game is a lot like former Butler star Gordon Hayward. He is quick, athletic and plays like a guard but has a forward's body. Or a leaner version of Duke's Kyle Singler.

Last edited:
Kind of reads like Ryan Bowen, filling out later, similare size, deceptive athleticism. So, do they look at each other and see the future/past. ;o)

White played on arguably the best AAU team in Ohio. Played against good competition.

Played against Oglesby's team. Oglesby hit 8 three's in a game against him but White's team won all four times they played.

These kids Fran are recruiting may not be 5* prospects but they are extremely athletic and versatile basketball players that push the ball and play tough. Oglesby and White are also considered "20/10 Recruits" in AAU ranks, meaning they average a 20 point/game and 10 rebound/game statistical output. They are on the "Rising Recruits" list - they garnered a ton of attention this summer and big programs are taking notice late (they are late bloomers). This is a good thing because Fran has gotten in early on these kids before others snag them. Gordon Hayward gained a lot of attention his senior year of high school but kept his commitment to Butler.

Good stuff, Ryno. Fran certainly seems to be getting things together. He's like a Mississippi Riverboat Gambler playing it close to the vest and with cards up both sleeves. He seems to be getting the right players for his system. Good things. I just discovered this photograph of young Fran McCaffrey heading home after a very good night.

product-enlarged.jpg

I think Tyler Harris (SF) and David Kravish (C) are the next - and final - two guys to commit for the 2011 class. Basing this on Tyler's twitter feeds and Kravish's comments after visiting. I follow Tyler on twitter to see how is visits are going and what he is saying. So FWIW, it sounds promising for Iowa.

Any links on their bios? Glad they're interested in Iowa, and would trust what McCaffery sees in them, but are they immediate help players or projects?